F/S Strong parachute, $500

Old February 9th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default F/S Strong parachute, $500

The chute is a Strong 303 backpack manufactured in 10/94, so its 16
years old. Some re-packers have been know to impose a 20-year life
limit which is not in the FAR's........a carry-over from the military,
and we all know who pays for their new chutes ($1985 if you please) as
far as the Feds are concerned, a chute is good to go as long as it
passes inspection, kinda like our sailplanes. Wouln't it be a bitch if
we had to ****can our sailplanes at 20 years?
As for two parachutes, I have picked the best option IMHO and I will
go with that. Kinda like wearing a belt and suspenders, isn't it?
Cheers,
JJ
PS, I'm looking forward to a very comfortable seat in the future.
Old February 10th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/9/2011 12:05 PM, Andy wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:49 pm, Eric wrote:
Or maybe the BRS deploys completely, but the glider attitude is making
everything gyrate so badly that it's going to be a really, really bad
"touchdown".

Or maybe the deployed BRS catches another glider that was nearby,
enveloping the canopy and preventing that pilot from getting out.
You'd want to land safely under your own canopy so you could deal with
the lawyers representing the widow of the other pilot.

Ok, maybe a bit extreme, but has anyone advocating BRS in gliders
actually considered the risk of deploying one in a large gaggle. A
free falling pilot has, by default, cleared the air the personal chute
will deploy into. Not so with a BRS.

OK, there your are, upside down, half a wing missing, on your way down
through a gaggle of 20 gliders. Is it better to pop the BRS right away
(maybe get someone with your chute), or wait till you are below the
gaggle (maybe hit someone(s) at high speed on your way down)?

Even sitting here, safe and sound, I can't imagine what the best plan
would be, so it may be premature to suggest deploying a BRS in the
middle of a gaggle is riskier to the rest of the gaggle than an
out-of-control, tumbling glider.

email me)
Old February 10th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Feb 9, 5:17*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 2/9/2011 12:05 PM, Andy wrote:

On Feb 9, 12:49 pm, Eric *wrote:
[...]

I think it takes little thought. Bad things start happening... you
pull the lever. I would not sit around hoping they don't get worse and
I don't know the maximum operating speed of JJ's BRS systems but our
slippery little toys likely can reach that fast and if they do its too
late. Unfortunately exceeding the speed limits of BRS systems has cost
several GA pilots their lives.

Personally I would not trade a backpack parachute for a BRS system. In
addition to ... yes (if fitting a BRS to my glider was an option at
all). JJ is in the lucky position of having a glider designed to take
a BRS system. Still I'd really like to know the BRS system being
fitted has been test fired in that exact glider type and demonstrated
to work well and I'd really want to understand the use/survival
envelope (max airspeed, min altitude, descent fuselage angle, descent
rate etc.).

Darryl
Old February 10th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_3_]

I still remember the photos of the burning Cirrus slowly descending
under a parachute...

...with the pilot and passenger jumping (without chute) to get away from
the flames.....

Old February 10th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 9, 6:17*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 2/9/2011 12:05 PM, Andy wrote:

On Feb 9, 12:49 pm, Eric *wrote:
[...]

Agree with Darryl that anyone expecting a BRS to save them will pull
the handle as soon as possible. The difference with an out of control
glider falling through a gaggle is that it may be possible to avoid
it. Also, if there is a collision with that out of control falling
glider the hit pilot stands a reasonable chance of bailing out if not
incapacitated by a direct hit to the cockpit. If a glider ahead and
below deploys a BRS you won't stand a chance of avoiding it and, if
the canopy envelopes the cockpit, I doubt it would be possible to get
out.

Andy

Old February 10th 11, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

OK, there your are, upside down, half a wing missing, on your way down
through a gaggle of 20 gliders. Is it better to pop the BRS right away
(maybe get someone with your chute), or wait till you are below the
gaggle (maybe hit someone(s) at high speed on your way down)?

Oh my, where to start? First off, this ain't my first rodeo, I have
been through this drill twice while doing my civic duty in the USAF
and believe my, delaying pulling the handle was the last thing I
considered. The problem that really worries me is a midair in the
pattern. I almost had a head-on midair just after calling down-wind
with a fellow who didn't feel it was necessary to tell me he was
entering the pattern also, but in the opposite direction! If we had
collided, there is no way either of us would have made it, period, end
of discussion! Deploying a BRS in this situation, could save a
life.............mine!
They have conducted 35 airborne tests to establish maximum weight and
speed parameters. The system I selected is 200 pounds under the max wt
with a max deployment speed of 138mph. The nose will pitch up on
deployment, so the sooner the better in this regard..........don't
want the canopy to fail or to loop up into the deployed chute.
Conclusion, don't delay pulling the little red handle! BRS tests have
shown the system could work as low as 260 feet depending mainly on
aircraft attitude on deployment (rocket fires up). Descent rate of
15-28f/s depending on wt and density altitude, lets use 22f/s, thats
like jumping off a 7 foot ledge or being involved in a fender-bender
at 15mph. Descent attitude on the Genesis is 40 degrees nose low due
to the hatch being aft a bit. I would expect the nose wheel to absorb
half the impact with the main gear taking the rest with some
structrual damage, but I know a good A&P who works cheep.
Where in any of the above do I; tidy up the cockpit and step smartly
over the side wearing my back-pack?
:) JJ
PS the Strong is sold.
Old February 10th 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Feb 10, 7:04*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

Additional advantages: other pilots will be less likely to leech - or
thermal in the blind spot above and behind you.

9B

Old February 10th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Thank you JJ.

I was wondering how long it was going to take for the "Black Ace" to let people know that he understands what it is like to leave an aircraft in an emergency.

Wayne
(only one more take off then landings.)
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message ...

[...]

F S. Strong 395 Parachute ls8234 Soaring 0 July 23rd 07 09:26 AM
F.S. Strong 305 Parachute ls8234 Soaring 0 July 23rd 07 09:20 AM
FS Strong 305 Parachute Tim Soaring 3 January 3rd 06 06:16 PM
FS Strong 305 Parachute Tim Aerobatics 0 December 28th 05 11:01 PM
FS Strong 305 Parachute Discus 44 Soaring 3 December 22nd 05 06:41 PM