Ground-based GPS tracking

Old October 22nd 05, 02:38 PM
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Default Ground-based GPS tracking

The animalplanet aired a sequence last night using Tilly the Golden
Eagle to search for a hiker in a rugged mountainous area ... I think
the diameter was 5 miles. Rather then carrying a real-time camera,
Tilly had a GPS unit that was sending "real-time" lat/lon/altitude info
that was being mapped on the host's laptop ... similar to watching a
trace on SeeYou. The show said the unit was military-grade GPS unit
(quick response and high accuracy) ... don't know if it is true. The
animalplanet.com site didn't have any additional details. Anybody know
what hardware/software supported this ... or how close we are in
deploying (easily, reliably, cheaply) something like this to support
spectator involvement at contests.

gracias'

KK

Old October 22nd 05, 06:00 PM
Marc Ramsey

Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:
The animalplanet aired a sequence last night using Tilly the Golden
Eagle to search for a hiker in a rugged mountainous area ... I think
the diameter was 5 miles. Rather then carrying a real-time camera,
Tilly had a GPS unit that was sending "real-time" lat/lon/altitude info
that was being mapped on the host's laptop ... similar to watching a
trace on SeeYou. The show said the unit was military-grade GPS unit
(quick response and high accuracy) ... don't know if it is true. The
animalplanet.com site didn't have any additional details. Anybody know
what hardware/software supported this ... or how close we are in
deploying (easily, reliably, cheaply) something like this to support
spectator involvement at contests.

http://www.vpos.no/

Probably not immediately usable in the US, however, due to different
cellphone standards, and lack of coverage in many areas...
Old October 23rd 05, 10:02 AM
Don Johnstone

I may be wrong but I thought that a similar system
was employed at one of the european championships this
year.
The downside that if the information is available to
spectators it is also available to competitors.

Old October 23rd 05, 11:22 AM
2cernauta2

Don Johnstone
wrote:

I may be wrong but I thought that a similar system
was employed at one of the european championships this
year.
The downside that if the information is available to
spectators it is also available to competitors.

It's being used at many race sites. The Comp Director can select a
delay (say: 20 minutes) in the display. No problems for the fairness
of the sport.

Aldo Cernezzi
Old October 23rd 05, 11:36 AM
goneill

The Grand prix being held in New Zealand late January will use gps
tracking, plus onboard cameras I believe and a helicopter camera ship.
to create an America's cup type of broadcast for local TV and programmes
for distribution worldwide
gary
oups.com...

Old October 24th 05, 06:54 PM