Towing with a 150 hp Pawnee?

Old November 21st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towing with a 150 hp Pawnee?

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience or expertise on the
subject of towing with a Piper Pawnee with a 150 hp engine. 150 hp
seems on the light side to me. It would be used in Central Texas (high
density altitude in the summer).

Old November 22nd 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I've made over 1000 tows at the controls of a 150 HP Callair A-5 and Pawnee
150's (more with Callair than with the Pawnee). This was mostly done quite a
few years ago, and before I ever knew that tows weren't supposed to only
take 6 minutes! (Pawnee 235 style)..We then towed everything form SGS-119's
and Cherokee II's to 233's and Grob Twins....I don't know how many tows we
made off our 1800' grass runway and over the trees and power lines but a
few...those were more "tense" than off 2600' grass but we did them, usually
holding in ground effect until the very last moment to pull up and clear
then end of the runway.....and often got to see how the Robin babies were
dong in the nests....but we did them none the less..Tows were generally long
winded affairs but the 150 HP Pawnee and Callair are lighter than the 235 HP
tow plane varieties and they do tow...this was in western NY state and the
airport elevation was 1300 feet, I might not like it so well if I were in
Denver!
A couple years ago we had another 150 Pawnee for a short time and I did tow
again a K8 and a K7 with it and it was fine....but it was a big difference
from our current 235 Pawnee which IMHO is the overall very best tow plane
for all time......easy to fly, enough HP and generally easy on
maintenance..But the long and short of it is the 150 Pawnee is a joy to fly
as tractors go...will tow if you've got room, and if the density altitude
isn't too high .........and moreover, if you're not in a hurry.....the
Lycoming 0320 is an excellent engine (as aircraft engines go) and the 150
Pawnee can usually be had for under 15K (that's about 1/2 the price of
adding a motor to a glider!....) If it were for a start up club I'd say not
a bad idea......you'll need plenty of tow practice anyway so why rush it )
good luck
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

ups.com...

Old November 22nd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

At an altitude of 2833MSL, and at temperatures over 100F, on 3500ft paved
runway at almost 6000ft DA. I have been towed behind a 180HP Scout, not fun.
We currently have a PA-25-235, (converted to 250HP at last rebuild). Much
Much Better. Even on hot days with heavy gliders we can get 200ft AGL at the
far end of the runway.

Now that it is winter, one of our compatriots on the field is currently
towing with a C-150/150HP while his PA-25-235 goes through a rebuild. Not
very much fun, especially when towing his 2-32. We can do two tows to 4K AGL
and be starting our third tow, while he is just getting back from one 4K
tow.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to hear from anyone who has experience or expertise on the
subject of towing with a Piper Pawnee with a 150 hp engine. 150 hp
seems on the light side to me. It would be used in Central Texas (high
density altitude in the summer).

May all Pawnee models be used for towing? [email protected] Soaring 1 September 8th 06 02:18 AM
Pawnee D for sale [email protected] Soaring 0 May 4th 06 07:55 AM
Banner Towing Scott Schluer Piloting 19 May 4th 05 10:25 PM
260hp Pawnee towing at Salida, Colorado for 2k5 summer Stewart Kissel Soaring 4 February 3rd 05 02:08 AM
FS Pawnee tugs Robert Danewid Soaring 0 August 9th 03 09:51 AM