I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

Old May 27th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

Boulder City, NV near Las Vegas has a paved glider runway on the airport that has never been used. My understanding is their old airport had a glider operation but he passed away before the new airport opened after getting them to include a glider runway. It already has a few ride operators and a skydiving op there it seems.
Old May 27th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Gary, That last suggestion, Boulder City, NV is the best idea. That location will have a much longer soaring season than anywhere in UT, CO or northern NV and there would be a plentiful supply of potential ride takers from nearby Sin City. The 7000 ft class B ceiling is a potential nuisance for soaring pilots but wouldn't be much of a factor for your ride business. Boulder City does make a nice destination for us Phoenix pilots; so I guess I have a little self interest if you really have to leave Pleasant Valley.
Old June 4th 17, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Well, I've decided to give Cottonwood Arizona a try. It's close enough to Phoenix that I'll still be able to tap into that market of 6 million, and the soaring should be better than it was here at Peoria. All of the customers I've talked to said a trip north to Cottonwood was no problem. Elevation of 3550' and the peak of Mingus Mountain is about 7800' about 5 miles SW. There should be thermal, ridge, and wave lift. I'm still looking for a place to live and I've got some good leads. Should be giving flights there very soon. Call if you have any questions. Six-oh-two two-eighty-four ninety nine seventy seven

Boggs
Old June 4th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That looks like a really nice location to fly gliders. Good luck!

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 4th 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 10:39:41 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Well, I've decided to give Cottonwood Arizona a try. It's close enough to Phoenix that I'll still be able to tap into that market of 6 million, and the soaring should be better than it was here at Peoria. All of the customers I've talked to said a trip north to Cottonwood was no problem. Elevation of 3550' and the peak of Mingus Mountain is about 7800' about 5 miles SW. There should be thermal, ridge, and wave lift. I'm still looking for a place to live and I've got some good leads. Should be giving flights there very soon. Call if you have any questions. Six-oh-two two-eighty-four ninety nine seventy seven

Boggs

Good choice! I have observed stunning skies in that area. Will you be giving tows to visiting pilots as well?
Good luck in your new location!
Uli
'AS'

Old June 5th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 3Y

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:37:53 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 10:26:45 AM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

While I like Nephi, you might consider Hurricane, UT for a ride operation.. 20 miles west Zion National Park. Becoming a pretty good tourist destination.

As much as I would like to see a full time tow plane at Hurricane, I think Nephi makes more sense from a commercial standpoint. Also, I don't think the city would be as cooperative as Nephi.
Old June 5th 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Yes, we will welcome all the support we can get. Call me and we'll make tows available.

Boggs
Old June 5th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 5 June 2017 14:47:49 UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
Yes, we will welcome all the support we can get. Call me and we'll make tows available.

Boggs

There is a active Hang Gliding and Paragliding club that utilizes Mingus Mountain and has worked out procedures for landing at the Cottonwood airport. Great group of folks, would not hurt to reach out to them, comparing soaring notes and airport procedures.

http://azhpa.org/mingus/

Best of luck
Old June 6th 17, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

I met one of the hang glider guys there the other day. Hope to share some lift with them soon!
Old June 6th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

In the midst of this move, I was rammed by a road rage attacker. My buddy suffered a broken neck. He's out of the hospital but not out of the woods. The guy took off and we have almost nothing to help us find him. This is going to be quite a setback. Here's some pictures of my totaled '65 Rambler. https://m.facebook.com/gary.boggs.54...f_ref=m_beeper