US: International Squad Ranking List for 2016 with Benalla WGCIncluded now Online

Old May 15th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default US: International Squad Ranking List for 2016 with Benalla WGCIncluded now Online

7 days short of FOUR MONTHS...
Old May 15th 17, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

Below is a cut and paste from the document. Please take the time to read the whole doc.

I'll also add that our volunteers at the US Team committee were elected by us to do their job. They researched processes used by several winning teams and recommended some improvements to the SSA board. Those recommendations were approved by the board.

As for the preferential voting consider this. If you take the pilots who scored 85% or better in our national soaring contests you have a pretty elite group of decision makers. It would be very hard to gather that experience any other way. Additionally, they have first hand experience competing against the candidates.

I'll say it again I think the US Team committee is on the right track and I will support the team they put together.

XC
Sean Murphy

"US Team Committee discussions concerning the current US Team pilot selection process have raised a number of issues, including the following:

-An uncharacteristically bad National contest result (e.g. due to illness) may cause a highly qualified pilot to miss the US Team.

-Pilot skills and how they match conditions expected at WGC contest sites should be considered (e.g. a pilot with predominately flatland skills should not necessarily be selected for a contest that will emphasize mountain flying).

-Pilot personality and the way it fits with the full team can be an important factor.

-For a pilot who has competed in past FAI Category 1 contests, performance in those events should be considered.

-Because success at Category 1 contests typically requires some experience in competition at that level, a pilot’s age and likely commitment to future US Team participation should be considered.

-The proliferation of IGC classes raises the possibility that a pilot who has achieved excellent results in one class might be a strong US Team member in another.

The fundamental point is that the goal of every US Team should be to obtain the best results possible at any World Gliding Championships (WGC), and the current team selection process does not appear to be consistently achieving that goal. Accordingly, the US Team Committee is proposing significant changes to the process by which US Team pilots are selected..."
Old May 15th 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 9:23:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
So let me get this straight. Am I reading this correctly that a pilot with a lower ranking number can be selected over a pilot with a higher ranking number based on votes?

Sorry, if you win a national contest and your ranking is 100.0, you should have first dibs on representing the United States...you won the right to do that.

Is the SSA really going to let "politics" decide who gets to go? What the hell kind of crap is this?

So we SUCK as a country in the world championship, and we are going to let lower performing pilots represent the country - based on votes? WOW!

PSA: asw20pilot is one of Sean's many aliases.

Personal statement: The fact that Sean represented our country in the last WGC is embarrassing. Here is someone who has threatened to show up at a house with a gun, put me in a straight jacket and torture me. The US Team has a code of conduct that Sean has violated on numerous occasions. I quote one section:

"13.3 To Specifically Refrain From. To refrain from any behavior which might reflect unfavorably on the United States of America, the sport, the Team, its management, or which might bring any other pilot, official or the Team into disrepute"

I'm sure he is concerned that his behavior has caused significant harm to his reputation. I for one will be sending a large file of Sean's numerous delirious rantings, threats and abuse to all US Pilots with 85% or higher scores for their careful consideration when they vote on who should represent out country.
Old May 18th 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

From and including: Sunday, January 22, 2017
To, but not including Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Result: 115 days
It is 115 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date
Or 3 months, 25 days excluding the end date
Alternative time units
115 days can be converted to one of these units:
9,936,000 seconds
165,600 minutes
2760 hours
115 days
16 weeks and 3 days
31.51% of 2017
Old May 18th 17, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How many pilots are there in the US with the combination of skill, experience, desire, and resources to compete on the world team?

Old May 18th 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Old May 18th 17, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

From and including: Sunday, January 22, 2017
To, but not including Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Result: 115 days
It is 115 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date
Or 3 months, 25 days excluding the end date
Alternative time units
115 days can be converted to one of these units:
9,936,000 seconds
165,600 minutes
2760 hours
115 days
16 weeks and 3 days
31.51% of 2017

11

Sean definitely goes to 11.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old May 18th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

ALMOST TO FOUR MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is six months possible? A year?

From and including: Sunday, January 22, 2017
To, but not including Thursday, May 18, 2017
Result: 116 days
It is 116 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date
Or 3 months, 26 days excluding the end date
Alternative time units
116 days can be converted to one of these units:
10,022,400 seconds
167,040 minutes
2784 hours
116 days
16 weeks and 4 days
31.78% of 2017

Old May 19th 17, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

How many days does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? "The world may never know..."

https://youtu.be/O6rHeD5x2tI

US: 2015 Pilot Ranking List available [email protected] Soaring 2 October 31st 14 11:11 AM
US: Pilot Ranking List now available [email protected] Soaring 3 January 8th 13 12:28 AM
USA Pilot ranking list is online #711 reporting Tom Kelley Soaring 0 January 16th 12 11:06 PM
Ranking List Spreckley Soaring 0 June 2nd 04 03:13 PM
Ranking List Spreckley Soaring 0 June 2nd 04 03:02 PM