A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

Old May 22nd 17, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

Default I'm Looking for a new location SW USA?

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 9:26:45 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

Nephi has pretty long winters.
Old May 22nd 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 5:45:14 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
With the passing of Roy Coulliette, the management here at Pleasant Valley Airport Arizona has changed and it is now unworkable for me. I think I would like to stay here in the Desert Southwest somewhere, but I'm willing to move if need be. Does anybody have any suggestions for where I might be able to set up a commercial glider operation near a good sized population these days?

Boggs

How about something around Tucson?

If you want both good weather and a supply of tourists, either you need a big city or nearby other attractions. Tucson has the weather, but not the population or tourists.

I agree with other posters that you should take a serious look at Utah. Every small town has an airport and many of them are close to I-15 and all the tourists heading to the local National and State parks. If Nephi is too far north (cold winters), maybe something closer to Zion or St. George would work?

You'll have to cut back the beer and switch to green jello, though!

Mike
Old May 22nd 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On the Utah vein...how about Moab? Active airport with skydiving and hot air balloons as the main aviation attractions. Great views of arches national Park and canyonlands. Gobs of tourists.

I delivered a Libelle there a few years ago but I'm not sure if they ever set up a towplane.
Old May 22nd 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 9:29:36 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
On the Utah vein...how about Moab? Active airport with skydiving and hot air balloons as the main aviation attractions. Great views of arches national Park and canyonlands. Gobs of tourists.

I delivered a Libelle there a few years ago but I'm not sure if they ever set up a towplane.

And in Utah they probably haven't seen the floating card trick.
Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r74dkrMiLY
Old May 22nd 17, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

Nevada is considered "Southwest", though maybe at the fringe, huh?

Anyway, you can't get much better than Minden for beauty, soaring conditions, off season other activities, population center while in keeping with its rural western heritage, and there's a ready made nice glider operation here that is available.

bumper

Old May 22nd 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

How long are the winters? What is Utah scoring like in the months other than summer? How long is the season.

Nice thing about Minden is the year around soaring.

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 5:45:33 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:

Boggs

Nephi has pretty long winters.

Old May 23rd 17, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:27:36 AM UTC-6, bumper wrote:
Nevada is considered "Southwest", though maybe at the fringe, huh?

Anyway, you can't get much better than Minden for beauty, soaring conditions, off season other activities, population center while in keeping with its rural western heritage, and there's a ready made nice glider operation here that is available.

bumper

The definition of the US Southwest is pretty nebulous. Had a discussion when the US Southwest Soaring Museum was considering a Hall of Fame. Plenty to quibble about.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 23rd 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 10:10:49 AM UTC-6, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 5:45:14 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:

Boggs

How about something around Tucson?

If you want both good weather and a supply of tourists, either you need a big city or nearby other attractions. Tucson has the weather, but not the population or tourists.

I agree with other posters that you should take a serious look at Utah. Every small town has an airport and many of them are close to I-15 and all the tourists heading to the local National and State parks. If Nephi is too far north (cold winters), maybe something closer to Zion or St. George would work?

You'll have to cut back the beer and switch to green jello, though!

Mike

Many are enroute to/from Las Vegas. Need to get them on the way there.

Frank
Old May 23rd 17, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA
external usenet poster

In Northern Utah we fly April 1st through Thanksgiving, typically. Thermals in the Spring and Summer, and ridge/wave in the Spring and Fall.
Old May 23rd 17, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]
external usenet poster

Pick ASE! I want to fly and enjoy the place some more!