Smart CDI diesel engine

Old January 8th 05, 01:44 AM
Hans Zwakenberg

Default Smart CDI diesel engine

Hi group,

can someone please tell me whether efforts are on the way already to
turn the Smart CDI diesel engine into an aircraft engine? I'm looking
for something (preferably a diesel) in the 80HP range. Maximum weight
should be appr. 75 Kg (165 lb). It looks to me the larger of the
Smart CDI's might fit the bill.

thanks!
Old January 8th 05, 09:13 AM
rocky

Hans Zwakenberg wrote:
Hi group,

can someone please tell me whether efforts are on the way already to
turn the Smart CDI diesel engine into an aircraft engine? I'm looking
for something (preferably a diesel) in the 80HP range. Maximum weight
should be appr. 75 Kg (165 lb). It looks to me the larger of the
Smart CDI's might fit the bill.

thanks!

I have been hunting for a 50 to 80 HP diesel for over a year. The Zoche
looked good but I doubt if they will ever make it into production. If
you find another one, I want one!!!!!!!
Old January 8th 05, 11:26 AM
NewsGroups

Hello HAns.. they are still working on the petrol version....

http://www.ecofly.de/english.htm

Old January 8th 05, 03:02 PM
kumaros

rocky wrote:
I have been hunting for a 50 to 80 HP diesel for over a year. The Zoche
looked good but I doubt if they will ever make it into production. If
you find another one, I want one!!!!!!!

Well, there is one, but, it comes with a whole kitplane attached to it ;-)
Take a look at the Dutch RangeR, the offspring of the Dieselis, at:
http://www.dac-ranger.nl/en_ranger.html
Not a bad deal at all, considering what you get for its suggested price
of EUR 40.000.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old January 8th 05, 03:45 PM
Morgans

"kumaros" wrote in message
rocky wrote:
I have been hunting for a 50 to 80 HP diesel for over a year. The Zoche
looked good but I doubt if they will ever make it into production. If
you find another one, I want one!!!!!!!

Well, there is one, but, it comes with a whole kitplane attached to it ;-)
Take a look at the Dutch RangeR, the offspring of the Dieselis, at:
http://www.dac-ranger.nl/en_ranger.html
Not a bad deal at all, considering what you get for its suggested price
of EUR 40.000.
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me

Too bad. It is too heavy for LSA.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 8th 05, 06:35 PM
UltraJohn

Too bad. It is too heavy for LSA.

It's also too fast!
John

Old January 8th 05, 10:15 PM
Sean Trost

Hans,
I looked at the motor you are talking about on the internet. It appears
that the diesel motor is running 40 hp vs your 80.
all the best.
The gas fired versions are doing 80 tho and have dual ignition built
into em.
Looks promising.
Sean Trost

Old January 9th 05, 12:17 AM
kumaros

Morgans wrote:

Too bad. It is too heavy for LSA.

Morgan and John,
If you can do with just 50HP, Daihatsu has a jewel of a 659 cc 2-cycle
common-rail turbodiesel. I don't know, however, if it's available
outside Japan. These sophisticated engines sometimes are only available
in the domestic market, in K-cars.
Try this URL for more details:
http://www.daihatsu.com/motorshow/to...eco/index.html
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me
Old January 9th 05, 02:13 AM
UltraJohn

kumaros wrote:

Morgans wrote:

Too bad. It is too heavy for LSA.

Morgan and John,
If you can do with just 50HP, Daihatsu has a jewel of a 659 cc 2-cycle
common-rail turbodiesel. I don't know, however, if it's available
outside Japan. These sophisticated engines sometimes are only available
in the domestic market, in K-cars.
Try this URL for more details:
http://www.daihatsu.com/motorshow/to...eco/index.html
Kumaros
It's all Greek to me

If my convertions are correct they claim 96 mpg in their car!
John
(41km/litre)
Old January 9th 05, 02:24 AM
R&R Sherwood

The diesel engine subject came up at the airport today. One of the guys
said that diesels put high stress on the propeller during the power stroke.
Don't know if this is true but it is worth looking into if you are
considering using one.
Russell Sherwood
SVX powered Glasair
Houston, TX

"Hans Zwakenberg" wrote in message
om...
Hi group,

can someone please tell me whether efforts are on the way already to
turn the Smart CDI diesel engine into an aircraft engine? I'm looking
for something (preferably a diesel) in the 80HP range. Maximum weight
should be appr. 75 Kg (165 lb). It looks to me the larger of the
Smart CDI's might fit the bill.

thanks!

Military Diesel Bike Engine sanman Home Built 8 November 12th 04 01:53 AM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 04:03 PM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM