Why is a standard hold right turns?

Old June 27th 04, 12:35 AM
Roy Smith

Default Why is a standard hold right turns?

It has always struck me odd that a standard landing pattern is left
turns and a standard hold is right turns. Having a left patterns for
landing makes a bit of sense, since the pilot is on the left side of the
cockpit and has a better view of the runway making left turns.

But, for IFR holds, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to one way or
the other. Why did they pick right turns to be standard?
Old June 27th 04, 12:50 AM
Matt Whiting

Roy Smith wrote:

It has always struck me odd that a standard landing pattern is left
turns and a standard hold is right turns. Having a left patterns for
landing makes a bit of sense, since the pilot is on the left side of the
cockpit and has a better view of the runway making left turns.

But, for IFR holds, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to one way or
the other. Why did they pick right turns to be standard?

To balance the wear on the control surfaces. :-)

Matt

Old June 27th 04, 01:39 AM
C J Campbell

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

But, for IFR holds, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to one way or
the other. Why did they pick right turns to be standard?

Um, if you are holding over an airport then you are holding on the opposite
side from the traffic pattern?

Old June 27th 04, 01:43 AM
Bob Gardner

Minimum holding altitude is 2000 agl, according to FAAO 7130.3...hard to
conflict with traffic in the pattern at that altitude.

Bob Gardner

Old June 27th 04, 01:45 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Um, if you are holding over an airport then you are holding on the

opposite
side from the traffic pattern?

Seems rather weak to me. If the weather is good enough for pattern work
there wouldn't seem to be much need to hold.

Old June 27th 04, 02:26 AM
Randy at Home

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
|
| Um, if you are holding over an airport then you are holding on the
| opposite
| side from the traffic pattern?
|

| Seems rather weak to me. If the weather is good enough for pattern work
| there wouldn't seem to be much need to hold.

Unless you're anywhere near ORD. Then, if someone waters their house plants,
enough water vapor could be injected into the atmosphere through evaporation
to cause delays and holds for hours (I'm only marginally joking here).

Old June 27th 04, 02:28 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Randy at Home" wrote in
message
.cable.rogers.com...

Unless you're anywhere near ORD. Then, if someone waters their
house plants, enough water vapor could be injected into the
atmosphere through evaporation to cause delays and holds for
hours (I'm only marginally joking here).

How much pattern work is conducted at ORD?

Old June 27th 04, 02:34 AM
Randy at Home

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

| "Randy at Home" wrote in
| message
| .cable.rogers.com...
|
| Unless you're anywhere near ORD. Then, if someone waters their
| house plants, enough water vapor could be injected into the
| atmosphere through evaporation to cause delays and holds for
| hours (I'm only marginally joking here).
|

| How much pattern work is conducted at ORD?

Oh, I know. None. But I couldn't resist. Sorry, Steven. I've been through
there twice a week for the past 16 months and have been on-time less than 20
times. ATC is continually, and inappropriately, blamed.

Old June 27th 04, 03:02 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Randy at Home" wrote in
message
.cable.rogers.com...

Oh, I know. None.

Is it really none now? 15-20 years or so ago you could get a few
touch-and-goes in the wee hours, say 3 AM or so.

Old June 27th 04, 03:05 AM
Randy at Home

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

| "Randy at Home" wrote in
| message
| .cable.rogers.com...
|
| Oh, I know. None.
|

| Is it really none now? 15-20 years or so ago you could get a few
| touch-and-goes in the wee hours, say 3 AM or so.

Maybe at 3am. Although, I didn't hear any traffic movements last time I was
stuck sleeping in baggage claim.