HELP! Need offical Blanik L-13 Canopy Strap

Old March 1st 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

Default HELP! Need offical Blanik L-13 Canopy Strap

Our club is in need of an official Blanik break-away canopy strap for our
L-13. We're currently grounded until we can get one. We have one on order,
but cannot get any sort of anticipated delivery date from LET. If you have
a spare you could loan us, we would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
John Scott

Old March 2nd 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XYZ

Youre not grounded, just manufacture one yourself per the FAR's.
you are allowed to do that, there is a specific process for "owner produced
parts".
should be pretty simple to replicate the item and get a signoff.......

Scott.

--
Have a great day

Scott
.. .

Old March 2nd 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

The Blanik Manual calls for a specific "Break-away" strap. The IA won't
sign it off with a home made strap that doesn't break away at the proper
tension. I have no idea how to make one.

John

"XYZ" wrote in message
Youre not grounded, just manufacture one yourself per the FAR's.
you are allowed to do that, there is a specific process for "owner
produced parts".
should be pretty simple to replicate the item and get a signoff.......

Scott.

--
Have a great day

Scott
.. .

Old March 3rd 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Newill

Many clubs fashion their own weak links - and I have know them to be tested at a local technical school or mechanical engineering lab at a university to prove breaking strength.. wouldn't seem too hard to get a piece of strap that is proper in configuration and have it snapped on a tensile test machine and get that rating. If too strong - then go for a thinner piece or pull a few strands and test again!

Old March 3rd 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Does the manual state the breaking strength of the strap?
Use a cord of advertised breaking strength, not working load.
Make one and test it.. any DAR worth his salt can certify the part as
suitable.

"XYZ" wrote in message
Youre not grounded, just manufacture one yourself per the FAR's.
you are allowed to do that, there is a specific process for "owner
produced parts".
should be pretty simple to replicate the item and get a signoff.......

Scott.

--
Have a great day

Scott
"John Scott" wrote in message
.. .
Our club is in need of an official Blanik break-away canopy strap for
our L-13. We're currently grounded until we can get one. We have one
on order, but cannot get any sort of anticipated delivery date from LET.
If you have a spare you could loan us, we would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
John Scott

Strap-on headlamps and their ilk Casey Wilson Piloting 12 January 27th 07 08:10 PM
strap on jet plane???? Tony Piloting 3 January 1st 07 08:38 PM
Strap on Wings mikeytag Piloting 3 June 8th 06 06:53 AM
Blanik L-13 Front canopy sheet needed Roy Bourgeois Soaring 1 June 1st 06 11:31 PM
Removing a finger strap Michael Horowitz Restoration 0 May 8th 06 10:44 AM