28 years, 9000 hours

Old March 2nd 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default 28 years, 9000 hours

"Shirl" wrote in message ...
... what did you think of the CT after flying it? There's one in a hangar
around the corner from mine.

.....This guy is a distributor, so of course he has nothing but praise for
it, but I'm curious to know what you thought of it.

Just a quick data point on the LSA "distributor" issue; the LSA marketing
methods appear very different than the "old" service center concept. I think
of it more as a mini pyramid model, although I don't want to imply any kind
of scam activity.

Seems like with the market (buyers) as small as it is, and a new LSA
(supplier) coming online every month, the sales method is to offer every new
buyer a "dealer/distributorship". You buy the plane at your "dealer" cost (7
to 15% depending on which manufacturer). The deal can be even better if you
work directly with the importer. Then you run the plane as a business,
flying around in your area giving rides, expensing the whole process, and
hope you can dump the plane before the manufacturer puts out a new model.
Even that isn't so bad cause you could just turn it over to a flying club
with you holding the note.

The whole process is early enough that there's probably money to be made,
but I have too many irons in the fire to get directly involved myself. I
just hope this method works lights a fire back into recreational GA. Lord
knows we need it!

Old March 2nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 2, 10:11*am, Jay Maynard
wrote:

A friend who's evaluated a LOT of the LSAs out there, and flown a nontrivial
number, tells me the CT has a very abrupt stall, and if you encounter that
on landing and drop the aircraft in from a few feet off the ground, the gear
has a nasty tendency to break off - at which point Bad Things happen.

I'm just a student pilot, but I am doing my training in a CT. I
haven't flown other airplanes, so I can't compare the CT stall, but as
a student pilot I haven't found the stall to be difficult to handle at
all. You get buffet so you can tell that you are about to enter the
stall. And I have certainly banged the airplane down pretty hard a
few times on my clumsy newbie landings. So far, nothing has fallen
off.

I do find the CT difficult to land, and I have heard that it is
tougher to land than some other LSAs. For me, I suspect a lot of it
is just my inexperience. But the airplane is relatively short-
coupled, and it has a very high-lift wing. I think those two features
combine to make it very twitchy in pitch on landing. It is really
easy to flare too much and float up on landing. And since it is so
light, it loses speed pretty quickly as you are floating up, so you
can stall it too high pretty easily. I think that may be where the
issue of dropping it on from too high comes from.

On the new CTLS they have lengthened the rear fuselage so it isn't
quite as short-coupled. That should make the airplane easier to
land. And they put beefier composite main gear on it as well.

From what I have read from other pilots flying the CT, once you get
used to the way the airplane responds on landing, it isn't a problem.
It's just a question of learning the right technique for this
airplane.

Phil
Old March 2nd 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 28, 3:50*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...article_id=884

Sad to see it go, but, wow, talk about getting good use out of an airplane..

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking away.....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Am I the only one that find this article self-serving?

Wil
Old March 2nd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

William Hung wrote in
:

.

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking
away..

..
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Am I the only one that find this article self-serving?

What, Dick Collin's article, or Jay's pathetic rant?

Bertie
Old March 2nd 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Am I the only one that find this article self-serving?

In what way? Collins lost his butt in the deal, gave up his trusted old
airplane, and is facing his own advancing years. How did he benefit from
writing the article?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

If I missed it, sorry for the repeat, but ... what did you think of the
CT after flying it?

I loved it. The automotive nature of the Rotax engine, the nice, wide
cabin, the fantastic visibility, the low fuel burn, the quick handling -- it
all felt "right".
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Am I the only one that find this article self-serving?

In what way? Collins lost his butt in the deal, gave up his trusted
old airplane, and is facing his own advancing years. How did he
benefit from writing the article?

Pretty sure he menat you, **** for brains.

Bertie
Old March 2nd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

If I missed it, sorry for the repeat, but ... what did you think of
the CT after flying it?

I loved it. The automotive nature of the Rotax engine, the nice, wide
cabin, the fantastic visibility, the low fuel burn, the quick handling
-- it all felt "right".

Automaotive nature of a purpose designe aircraft engine?

Fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old March 3rd 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Mar 2, 4:51*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote :

On Feb 28, 3:50*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...article_id=884

Sad to see it go, but, wow, talk about getting good use out of an
airplane

.

I can't imagine just parking my plane at a salvage yard and walking
away..

..
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Am I the only one that find this article self-serving?

What, Dick Collin's article, or Jay's pathetic rant?

Bertie- Hide quoted text -

Dick's artice. lol
Wil
Old March 3rd 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Mar 2, 5:41*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Am I the only one that find this article self-serving?

In what way? * Collins lost his butt in the deal, gave up his trusted old
airplane, and is facing his own advancing years. *How did he benefit from
writing the article?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Hard to explain, but after a few sentences, that the feeling I got.

Wil