Hold direct entry and speed in Skyhawk

Old October 17th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Hold direct entry and speed in Skyhawk

Clay wrote:
Matt, you are correct about the one minute holds. However, ATC may
reqequest you do a distance hold such as 5 mile legs.

And yet the reason remains the same... to keep you from going anywhere until
they clear some airspace ahead of your aircraft. Since you're not going
anywhere, why does it matter how fast you don't get there? A hold's purpose is
to kill time. It's ATC's equivalent to your mother telling you to sit down
until supper is ready.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 17th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Matt Whiting wrote:

Blanche wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You fly holds generally by time not distance, so how does flying slower
make things happen slower? A one minute leg takes one minute no matter
how fast you are flying. :-)

Matt

Depends on equipment these days. A lot of us RNAV folks fly mostly
distance holds.
Old October 18th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Keep your speed up" in a hold?

For what purpose would ATC ever ask that you "keep your speed up" in a
hold?

On 16 Oct 2007 16:29:19 GMT, Blanche wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:
Terence Wilson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:01:40 -0700, Mark Hansen

On 10/12/07 07:39, Terence Wilson wrote:

I use 90. I don't know of any reason you can't use 80 if you like, other
than perhaps going slower than the controllers are expecting, and messing
with their timings, etc.

I was using 100, but had a little trouble maintaining a co-ordinated
standard rate turn, 80 makes it a lot easier (and more fuel
efficient). Obviously I need more practice.

The slower speed means more crab to handle the wind also. I'd fly at
least 90 in a hold in a Hawk, but if you comfortable at 80 nothing wrong
with that.

The other advantage of going a bit slower (for the time being) is having
more time to pay attention to what's going on, not being rushed when
ATC calls, etc. On the other hand, if ATC states "keep your speed up",
then that's another matter entirely.

Old October 18th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In this day and age, why would anyone bother with one minute inbound
legs?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:03:00 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Skyhawk vs. Mooney Grant[_2_] Owning 50 May 21st 07 05:32 AM
Direct dial FSS phone numbers being suggested as work-around to long hold times Peter R. Piloting 3 May 15th 07 01:16 PM
A4-B Skyhawk Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 March 2nd 07 01:04 AM
Photos of 1:48 TA-4K Skyhawk [email protected] Restoration 12 February 17th 05 03:39 PM
Skyhawk A4-K Weapons fit? Ian Military Aviation 0 February 18th 04 02:44 AM