Where to advertise a flying club?

Old June 25th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Where to advertise a flying club?

All,

We are trying to increase membership in our Phoenix-area flying club
and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where we should advetise?
(already tried flyers at the airport) Does anyone know where I can
purchase a mailing list of all pilots with a current medical in a
certain geographic area? Maybe sending postcards would get us
somewhere.

If anyone's interested, we are based at Chandler and Deer Valley - 2
Archers, 1 Commanche, and we will soon replace our Arrow with a 1998 or
newer 182. All planes have GNS 430s. All members are equity owners -
basically a large non-profit partnership, 54 slots. We've actually had
declining membership because many members are buying their own
aircraft.

www.phoenixflyers.org

--Dan

Old June 25th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In a previous article, "Dan" said:
We are trying to increase membership in our Phoenix-area flying club
and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where we should advetise?
(already tried flyers at the airport) Does anyone know where I can
purchase a mailing list of all pilots with a current medical in a
certain geographic area? Maybe sending postcards would get us
somewhere.

Our flying club does that. We buy the list from the FAA.

But don't just send postcards, have an "open house" where people can come
and see the planes, and advertise that on the post cards. That and having
a web site that is well indexed and appears pretty prominently when people
search for flying related keywords in your geographic area are probably
our top recruiting tools.

http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/

And by the way, we don't get high search rankings by putting in keywords
fields or using one of those spammy "increase your search rankings"
companies. I did it by two things:
- I made sure the first page has a clear and succinct discription of who
we are and where we're located.
- I got us listed on the list of flying clubs on the Yahoo web directory
and landings.com, (and quickly found that there are dozens of other web
sites with listings of flying clubs, but they all seem to plagarize from
one of those two).

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's possible there had been armed autonomous droids at some point in
Old June 25th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 24 Jun 2006 22:18:16 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

All,

We are trying to increase membership in our Phoenix-area flying club
and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where we should advetise?
(already tried flyers at the airport) Does anyone know where I can
purchase a mailing list of all pilots with a current medical in a
certain geographic area? Maybe sending postcards would get us
somewhere.

You can download the FAA pilot registration database for free:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...rmen_download/

You can then sort by zip code or state to narrow down to the area you want.

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 26th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

and quickly found that there are dozens of other web sites with listings of

flying clubs, but they all seem to plagarize

Just remember to always call it 'research'

Old June 26th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dan wrote:

We are trying to increase membership in our Phoenix-area flying club
and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where we should advetise?

Clasified ads in your local newspaper, under "aircraft for sale" or similar
classification.
Old June 26th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

We are trying to increase membership in our Phoenix-area flying club
and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where we should advetise?

Clasified ads in your local newspaper, under "aircraft for sale" or similar
classification.

Do you realize how few people subscribe, let alone read, a local
newspaper?

Old June 26th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article 1151341047.200100@sj-nntpcache-5, Dave Butler
wrote:

john smith wrote:
We are trying to increase membership in our Phoenix-area flying club
and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where we should advetise?

Clasified ads in your local newspaper, under "aircraft for sale" or similar
classification.

Do you realize how few people subscribe, let alone read, a local
newspaper?

No. How few?

Call your local newspaper and ask them about circulation numbers for the
last ten years. Then ask them what they were 30 and 40 years ago.
Old June 26th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Call your local newspaper and ask them about circulation numbers for the
last ten years. Then ask them what they were 30 and 40 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, but I have better uses for my time. I didn't see what
advertising medium you recommended to Dan(?).
Old June 26th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave Butler wrote:
Call your local newspaper and ask them about circulation numbers for the
last ten years. Then ask them what they were 30 and 40 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, but I have better uses for my time. I didn't see what
advertising medium you recommended to Dan(?).

For what its worth, my tiny local hometown paper claims a circulation of
2,700. Pretty good for a town that in the 2000 census only had a
population of about 2,200.

However, were I in this situation I wouldn't avertise in my local paper.
I already KNOW everyone who might be interested.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"