Solution to DAFIF data going away?

Old June 5th 05, 04:31 AM
Paul Tomblin

Default Solution to DAFIF data going away?

A friend's blog entry
(http://www.megginson.com/blogs/lahso...ing-databases/)
pointed me to Wikipedia's airport entries
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airports), and COPA's "Places to
Fly" page (http://www.copanational.org/PlacesToFly/index.php). And I got
to thinking that maybe this is a solution to my two biggest problems with
my navaid.com databases:
1. I'm missing data for smaller, non-militarily useful airports outside of
the US.
2. The source of data for the larger militarily useful airports outside
the US, DAFIF, is going away in a few months (read
http://navaid.com/dafif.html for more details).

And I got to thinking that a massive collaboration could be possible - I'd
put up the DAFIF data on a web site, and people could edit and update the
data that's there, and they could add the airports from their local
country that isn't there. I would make the data available to anybody who
currently uses DAFIF and FAA data the way I do, to help your fellow pilots
plan and fly and log and simulate.

What do you think? Would it work?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"As in the thronged and the lighted ways,/so in the dark and the desert
Old June 5th 05, 12:36 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 03:31:47 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

[...]

Have you seen http://www.pocketfms.com/ ?
That's how they solve the problem.

David

[ICSEng'05] Final CFP - due date March 10, 2005 Utthaman Naval Aviation 0 March 5th 05 09:07 AM
DAFIF database to be removed from public domain André Somers Soaring 2 January 14th 05 04:10 PM
DAFIF data Paul Tomblin Piloting 1 January 2nd 05 10:13 PM
Helicopter Simulator Ezra Bavly Rotorcraft 14 October 26th 04 11:16 PM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM