Busted TFR, what to expect?

Old May 25th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Default Busted TFR, what to expect?

"Morgans" wrote in message
I've often wondered why they do not use AWOS. It would take all of 5 or
10 seconds to announce a NOTAM, or at least tell of one's existence.

It would take well over 10 seconds to describe just one NOTAM of any
complexity, never mind all of the NOTAMs that might be applicable to a
flight within radio range of the AWOS. And noting a NOTAM's existence
without describing it isn't useful...there are always NOTAMs.

Yes, checking before departure is a "good thing" but there are always
NOTAM's that pop up while you are in the air.

That possibility does always exist, yes. But it's a relatively infrequent
occurrence. Nearly all of the time, a NOTAM that might become effective
during the flight is published prior to the commencement of the flight, even
if only by hours.

But even if NOTAMs appearing after one departs but becoming effective prior
to one landing was anything other than the very remote possibility it is
now, there's no practical way to disseminate all applicable NOTAMs via
frequencies already in use, such as AWOS, ATIS, automated UNICOMs, or ATC
frequencies.

Pete

Old May 26th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:17:38 -0000, wrote:

In rec.aviation.misc Jon A wrote:
Your punishment is to go dove hunting with Cheney next year. That'll
teach ya!

I'd rather go dove hunting with Cheney than driving with Ted Kennedy!

That's after the second busted TFR.

Old May 26th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

It's a basic part of the preflight actions. I also spend a good 15-20
minutes walking around my airplane before every flight

I do a thorough pre-flight inspection before every flight. Every control
surface is checked for continuity, all four gas tanks are visually
inspected, oil is checked, wheel pants are given a tug, prop is examined,
stall indicator movement verified, every screw, bolt and connector is
visually inspected...

I've still got 12 to 17 minutes left. What're you doing that I'm not?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

In article hQsdg.3183$No1.816@attbi_s71,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It's a basic part of the preflight actions. I also spend a good 15-20
minutes walking around my airplane before every flight

I do a thorough pre-flight inspection before every flight. Every control
surface is checked for continuity, all four gas tanks are visually
inspected, oil is checked, wheel pants are given a tug, prop is examined,
stall indicator movement verified, every screw, bolt and connector is
visually inspected...

I've still got 12 to 17 minutes left. What're you doing that I'm not?

Check nav lights and rotating beacon

Check electric fuel pump

Check flap operation

Sample fuel from each tank and from the gascalator

Touch everything inspected (not just look at it but touch it - how
can you tell a nut is loose just by looking?).

Alternator belt is checked for freeplay

Inspect tires and brakes (including exposed lines)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old May 26th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

"Peter Duniho" wrote

But even if NOTAMs appearing after one departs but becoming effective
prior to one landing was anything other than the very remote possibility
it is now, there's no practical way to disseminate all applicable NOTAMs
via frequencies already in use, such as AWOS, ATIS, automated UNICOMs, or
ATC frequencies.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a quick description, such as
" --- centered on ---" then, "tune to blah blah blah for further
information."

If you had already done your homework, then the quick description would tell
you already knew about it, then you could ignore the tuning somewhere else
part. If it was something new that you were not aware of, then you could
check it out.

Just another idea. It does seem like some people do their best to find out,
but due to delays, or time to get to the airport, or pop ups, they still get
caught.

Granted, it is a much higher percentage of busted notices, because of total
failure to attempt to get the information.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

"Morgans" wrote in message
I was thinking of something along the lines of a quick description, such
as " --- centered on ---" then, "tune to blah blah blah for further
information."

You seem to be underestimating the number of NOTAMs that are generally
active at any given time. We're not just talking TFRs. There are lots of
other kinds of NOTAMs that a pilot may need to know about, and if a
dissemenation system is going to be set up on the radio frequencies, they
all need to be included.

If you had already done your homework, then the quick description would
tell you already knew about it, then you could ignore the tuning somewhere
else part. If it was something new that you were not aware of, then you
could check it out.

If you had already done your homework, you wouldn't need to hear about the
TFR on the radio.

Just another idea. It does seem like some people do their best to find
out, but due to delays, or time to get to the airport, or pop ups, they
still get caught.

There really just aren't that many NOTAMs that pop up at the last minute,
even TFRs. Most of the TFR violations are pilots who simply didn't bother
to get the available information.

Granted, it is a much higher percentage of busted notices, because of
total failure to attempt to get the information.

If you mean that most violations are due to failure to get the available
information, then yes...agreed.

Pete

Old May 26th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]
I've still got 12 to 17 minutes left. What're you doing that I'm not?

I guarantee you that in three minutes, you do NOT check "every screw, bolt
and connector".

You are fooling yourself if you think that three minutes is sufficient time
for a preflight inspection.

Old May 26th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Bob,

Obviously the current system isn't working well.

So you didn't even check? And you do tha regularly? Jeeze, wtf do you
expect? This makes what happened entirely your fault, I'm afraid. And,
with all due respect, I really do hope the FSDO manages to teach you a
thorough lesson - because you're one of the idio^H^H^H^H, uhm, persons
hurting all of us pilots by being careless and lazy.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 26th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

In article ,
Bob Noel wrote:

Touch everything inspected (not just look at it but touch it - how
can you tell a nut is loose just by looking?).

On my plane (an SR22) many of the nuts have a dab of paint on them where
they meet the screw. If they move the paint dab cracks. It's quite
visually apparent.

rg
Old May 26th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Bob,

Obviously the current system isn't working well.

So you didn't even check? And you do tha regularly? Jeeze, wtf do you
expect? This makes what happened entirely your fault, I'm afraid. And,
with all due respect, I really do hope the FSDO manages to teach you a
thorough lesson - because you're one of the idio^H^H^H^H, uhm, persons
hurting all of us pilots by being careless and lazy.

I got a treat the other day to witness a small plane being intercepted
by an F-16 from my living room window in South Jersey on Wednesday. I
knew I would hear about it on the news. Sure enough:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=4203212.

What's funny is the guy keeps saying he didn't know the President was in
town. I think this is a case of not doing the pre-flight homework. I
knew about the TFR two days before it went into effect.

The video gets chopped off, watching it on the news last night she said
other pilots had a hard time believing that he didn't know the President
was in town. That may have been true, but only because he didn't do the
homework. There was another plane in the area that violated airspace,
which I don't have details on. Something you don't see everyday in my
area...

--
Mike