IFR to & from CLT - Delays and Fees to Expect

Old August 11th 04, 02:35 PM
David

Default IFR to & from CLT - Delays and Fees to Expect

I'm considering flying from ROA to CLT for a business meeting at the
airport itself next Tuesday -- arriving around noon and departing
around 16:00. I've not flown G/A to CLT before -- anyone able to
advise on the in/out delays (and fees) that I should expect? I'm
having a tough time justifying the 1:15 in the air "best case" vs. 3
hours driving point-to-point.

I just flew to BWI yesterday, and as always it was quick in and out --
also have had similar (good) mid-day experiences at PHL -- but maybe
I'm spoiled by those!

Thanks,
Dave
Old August 11th 04, 03:29 PM
Dave Butler

David wrote:
I'm considering flying from ROA to CLT for a business meeting at the
airport itself next Tuesday -- arriving around noon and departing
around 16:00. I've not flown G/A to CLT before -- anyone able to
advise on the in/out delays (and fees) that I should expect?

I've never had any difficulty with either arrival or departure IFR.

VFR, I've had a delay where tower will have me circle within a couple of miles
of the field while they find a slot to fit me into.

Signature has a monopoly on the FBO services there, with all that implies.

Expect to do your runup on the GA ramp, once you taxi out they expect you to be
ready to go. You might get a departure taxi clearance to taxi to some spot and
"monitor tower". Your takeoff clearance then will come on the tower freq without
you requesting it.

I have a URL saved for CLT ATC, http://www.cltatct.jccbi.gov
but it doesn't seem to be working, may be obsolete.

Dave

Old August 11th 04, 07:36 PM
Rich Badaracco

I've flown in and out of CLT a lot both IFR and VFR and have never had a
problem getting in or out. If you come in or out during a USAir push you may
get some vectoring but they do a fine job of working you into and out of the
airport. And of course if you leave during a push you might wind up number
11 for departure.

om...

Old August 13th 04, 03:39 AM
Stuart King

Try this :
http://www.cltatct.jccbi.gov/

Look for the best time to arrive here :
http://www.cltatct.jccbi.gov/Slowtimes.htm

I had a 25minute taxi across the field one time. I always turn 45 degrees
when I'm in the departure line (in my bonanza), to make sure I can see the
big guy behind me, in case he doesn't see me way down below. Be prepared
for a runway change to 18L or 36R or a sidestep to 18L after an approach to
23 if its not too low.

Stuart

Landing fee and parking fee.
om...

Old August 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Maule Driver

Like everyone else said, the ATC stuff is no problem. IFR seems to work
better for me but works either way. The USAir 'push' is the only obstacle.
The more confidence the controller has in your ability and the more
competent the controller, the more options they'll exercise.

It's good to know and have the AP diagram with you. Runup on the ramp
before taxi. The key to getting out is often an intersection TO on 18L.
They've jumped me in front of a line of airliners a couple of times - but
remember wake turb avoidance is your job.

Signature is the only FBO option I am aware of. Great service for my
dollars. For a day trip with gas you'll probably get away with just that.
Otherwise the usual charges apply. No landing fees or anything. More than
worth the bucks (aprox $25max) when you need the location (I always compare
with downtown parking). Oh, and don't do what I do and park my 'dragger
right in front of the door to unload - they got tired of that.

Have fun.

om...