Skin Game

Old February 3rd 04, 06:42 AM
Veeduber

Default Skin Game

Skin Game

Working out back of the shop under the shed roof. I'm cold and in a lot of
pain. Khaki's, flannel shirt & a shop apron was warm enough when I started,
afternoon sun heating up the tin roof. Not too bad at all. Except for the
pain, which I pretend not to notice. Then the sun did it's trick and the
breeze picked up. Eight to ten miles per hour according to the homemade
anemometer spinning busily above the shop. But it's been known to lie.

California cold isn't really. Nothing at all like Duluth cold or Fairbanks
cold. But I've been bent over the bench about four hours now and the pain is
becoming The Pain. Kidney stone; something new for me. (If you haven't been
there, you won't even come close :-)

A jacket helps. As does a cuppa coffee. But when I go back out to the shop
the wind has picked up and spates of rain are coming in from the coast,
invisible now, all light gone from a sky filled with dark scudding clouds. But
no pills. Not yet. Not until I finish deburring the holes I've spent all
afternoon laying-out and drilling.

Wing skins. Not big; two by eight feet, plus some trim. Outboard wing panels,
upper surface. Only nine ribs. No stringers. But a lotta holes.

The holes for the spars reside in a couple of pieces of eighth-inch by one inch
drug-store aluminum, the holes for the ribs are in a yard stick hijacked as a
template. I used the computer to lay-out the holes, pricked the bullets,
center punched the prick marks, drilled them on the drill press with the bit
spinning 3100 rpm and the swarf winding away in a spiral as bright as a
diamond. And then deburred.

The skins, left and right, stuck together belly to belly with a few squirts of
spray glue, are laying on an old door pieced out with some scrap. The trim
allows a couple of free holes to accept the cleco's that fasten the skins to
the table.

Layout is school-boy geometry. Stretched black thread for my X, carpenter's
square for my Y, corners trammeled with a twelve-foot piece of extruded angle,
the intersections carefully marked with a Sharpie. I can live with plus or
minus sixty but smile when the marks cross each other with an error of perhaps
fifteen thou in 98.95 inches. Close enough.

The ribs have a riveting flange five-eighths of an inch wide with the Safe Zone
being the middle third. For a safe structure the AN3 flush-heads should end up
somewhere within a square about three-eighths inch on a side. But closer is
better which is why I use templates for laying them out. Centered on the line
then squared, the holes fall almost perfectly within a square only an eighth of
an inch on a side. This is good. This is why I've spent four hours bent over
the bench with the wind blowing up my ass. (Should of put on the jacket
sooner. Should have bought Xerox in 1957... )

Once located relative to the line of holes for the spar cap rivets, the rib
template is cleco'd to the panel and the twenty-six holes are drilled. The
swarf is brushed away, the template moves to the next rib, the location is
verified (BIG red arrows, hard to miss... but not impossible) and you do it all
over again. Not a big deal. But the culmination of prior work spanning
months.

After drilling comes deburring. Then flipping the panels over and deburring
again. Dog-leg deburring tool, finger as a gauge. The skins are sixteen thou.
Gotta be careful with the deburring, keep the skins supported. They'll be
dimpled later and it's tough to get a burr out of the bottom of a dimple.

The only secret to building airplanes is to do something every day. Doesn't
matter WHAT you do or how long you do it, what matters is the work-habit. Do
SOMETHING every single day and you'll be surprised how quickly you run out of
things to do. When that happens the only thing left is to climb in and go for
a ride.

Today it was some holes in the wing skins. Tomorrow it will be something else
but today is past and the holes are done and I get to come in the house and
gobble a handful of pills and feel The Pain crawl back in its cave.

It's raining now but the coffee is hot and the pills have kicked in. Just
another day in the solitary art of Flying Machine construction.

-R.S.Hoover
Old February 3rd 04, 12:33 PM
sean trost

Veeduber,
Add copious amount of water to your cuppa if indeed a Kidney stone,
Considering yer still standing tells me most likely its a small one.
helps flush the system.
all the best
Sean Trost

Old February 4th 04, 04:06 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:33:23 GMT, sean trost
wrote:

Veeduber,
Add copious amount of water to your cuppa if indeed a Kidney stone,
Considering yer still standing tells me most likely its a small one.
helps flush the system.
all the best
Sean Trost

And a tablespoon of cider vinegar a day will help kep them from
recurring. I know your pain you have my sympathy.
Drew

Old February 4th 04, 04:25 AM
Morgans

wrote:

Veeduber,
Add copious amount of water to your cuppa if indeed a Kidney stone,
Considering yer still standing tells me most likely its a small one.
helps flush the system.
all the best
Sean Trost

And a tablespoon of cider vinegar a day will help kep them from
recurring. I know your pain you have my sympathy.
Drew

Now for a piece of real medical advise. Go to a urologist, and make sure he
does a 24 hour urine test. Yep, carry a jug around, and pee in it.

I have had about 20 stones, with the last one getting hung, and removed via
surgery. I got the 24 hour test, and the result came back, with him telling
me my body absorbed more calcium than normal.

I now take a simple diuretic, one a day, and have not had a stone in about
10 years.

You see, there are different kinds of stones. One treatment does not cure
all.

Get a test. If not, you must like the pain. g

By the way, there are pains that makes stones seem tame. One is to have a
liter of bile, floating around in your belly, from a ruptured bile duct. It
took all the morphine and Demerol they could give me to knock me out.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 4th 04, 10:33 AM
RU ok

"Morgans" wrote:

Now for a piece of real medical advise. Go to a urologist, and make sure he
does a 24 hour urine test. Yep, carry a jug around, and pee in it.

Geez, 'Teach'.
Be advised.

The world you seek is.... ADVICE, not advise.
See below from dictionary.com......

ad·vice n.

1. Opinion about what could or should be done about
a situation or problem; counsel.

ad·vise v.

1. To offer advice to; counsel.

Barnyard BOb -- amateur wordsmither and ball buster
Old February 4th 04, 09:35 PM
Morgans

"RU ok" wrote

Geez, 'Teach'.
Be advised.

The world you seek is.... ADVICE, not advise.

Barnyard BOb -- amateur wordsmither and ball buster

I've got to get these glasses changed!

It warms my heart to see that after several days of not hearing from you,
you choose my post to jump on. g

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
--
Jim (consider my balls officially busted) in NC

---

Old February 4th 04, 11:55 PM
Ernest Christley

RU ok wrote:

"Morgans" wrote:

Now for a piece of real medical advise. Go to a urologist, and make sure he
does a 24 hour urine test. Yep, carry a jug around, and pee in it.

Geez, 'Teach'.
Be advised.

The world you seek is.... ADVICE, not advise.

^^^^^

OUCH!

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Old February 5th 04, 12:37 AM
RU ok

"Morgans" wrote:

"RU ok" wrote

Geez, 'Teach'.
Be advised.

The world you seek is.... ADVICE, not advise.

Barnyard BOb -- amateur wordsmither and ball buster

I've got to get these glasses changed!

It warms my heart to see that after several days of not hearing from you,
you choose my post to jump on. g

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The joint is hopping with newbies....
and YOU. So, what else should be
expected from a shy dood like me?

Barnyard BOb -

Old February 5th 04, 12:49 AM
Morgans

"RU ok" wrote

The joint is hopping with newbies....
and YOU. So, what else should be
expected from a shy dood like me?

Barnyard BOb -

** CHOKE ** GASP ** SHY????????
Taken up ..... ummm..... misrepresentation for a hobby?
--
Jim in NC

---