Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 14th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:22:33 -0400, Margy Natalie wrote:

It is a really pretty Ercoupe! I think living that close to a GA
landing strip is the way to go (we break ground this week!!)
www.longislandairpark.com Phase II lot 12.

Margy

Looks like you are at the corner of everything. Congrats!

I did find this after looking at your site. The link was helpful.

shrunklink.com/ampm
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
Old March 15th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message m...
Dan wrote:
And this video is remarkable because...?

It is a really pretty Ercoupe! I think living that close to a GA landing strip is the way to go (we break ground this
week!!) www.longislandairpark.com Phase II lot 12.

Margy

Looks like fun! and the prices look fair also. How big is your hangar going to be? I didn't see anything about hangars
in the covenants...

Old March 15th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Margy Natalie

Dan wrote:

And this video is remarkable because...?

It is a really pretty Ercoupe! I think living that close to a GA
landing strip is the way to go (we break ground this week!!)
www.longislandairpark.com Phase II lot 12.

Margy

Looks like fun! and the prices look fair also. How big is your hangar
going to be? I didn't see anything about hangars in the covenants...

According to NC building code a residential hangar is under 2,000', ours
is 1,995 or something. Of course the original larger design had
workspace IN the hangar which is now walled off, etc. So what was a
3,000' square hangar is now a 1,995' T hangar with workshop, mechanical
room, etc. walled off with fire rated sheet rock. If we went larger
than 2,000 we would have had to build it as a commercial hangar using
commercial standards. A number of the hangars in the community are much
larger and built to the commercial standards. Our covenants are much
more reasonable (IMHO) than most airparks. We can build the hangar with
apartment first and build the house later (which is what we are doing).
And the architectural review is don't build anything stupid (no
domes).It's a nice neighborhood.

MARGY

Margy
Old March 9th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Mar 9, 3:36*pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
This got me thinking, a rudderless Ercoupe in a multi-directional wind
landing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2NJFrvYls

Do you (I) really want a home that close to a GA landing strip? Yet I see
megabuck homes in my neck of the woods

Do I want a home that close to a GA Landing Strip? DAMN Right I Do!
I would take one in a heartbeat and love it.

http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?prt=85&t=1217861

http://preview.tinyurl.com/39avgz* Use satellite mode

Am I missing something? Isn't this a bit off the safety charts?
--

Why do you feel it is off the safety charts? I don't see any issue
with safety beyond any neighborhood anywhere else. You are not

Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

Old March 10th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
BobR wrote:

On Mar 9, 3:36*pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
This got me thinking, a rudderless Ercoupe in a multi-directional wind
landing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2NJFrvYls

Do you (I) really want a home that close to a GA landing strip? Yet I see
megabuck homes in my neck of the woods

Do I want a home that close to a GA Landing Strip? DAMN Right I Do!
I would take one in a heartbeat and love it.

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

It is the largest (and, IMHO the best) residential airpark in the world.
We also have more based aircraft than any other airport in Florida.

I moved here 9 years ago and am having a BLAST!

Old March 11th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:05:59 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

Very nice, this is a different airpark animal. Homes aren't sitting on the
runway, nice tarmac, what's with the lake on approach?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old March 11th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
WJRFlyBoy wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:05:59 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

Very nice, this is a different airpark animal. Homes aren't sitting on the
runway, nice tarmac, what's with the lake on approach?

THe lake is part of the stormwater management system and is also a water
hazard along the golf course. We have around 3000 people living at
Spruce Creek; homes are 1/3 taxiway access, 1/3 golf, 1/3 nature
preserve. Most taxiways are for airplanes only -- only 2 are combined
taxiway/street use. We have our own water/sewer system, so there are no
well/septic tank issues to deal with.

Runway is 4800x150, paved, lighted, with GPS approach.

EAA 288 mets here, in one of the guys' hangar -- we regularly get 75-100
attendees. We ahve something more than 30 RV's of various flavors
(mostly RV-8s) on the field.

When my wife and I were looking for a place to live, I bought the books
on airparks and easily separated out the places where we DIDN'T want to
live:

1.Those out in the boondocks where you have to drive an hour to get a
loaf of bread or a can of paint.

2. Those too small to defend themselves when the neighboring Philistines
start campaigning against the airpark.

3. Anything on wells/septic tanks.

4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

5. No runway lights or who prohibit night operations (Lakeway comes to
mind).

6. Those with poor approaches.

7. Those with too many other restrictions (Ocean Reef comes to mind).

8. Too far from the beach. (Arizona is mostly beach, but the water is a
bit far away.)

Old March 12th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:09:09 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

When my wife and I were looking for a place to live, I bought the books
on airparks and easily separated out the places where we DIDN'T want to
live:

1.Those out in the boondocks where you have to drive an hour to get a
loaf of bread or a can of paint.

2. Those too small to defend themselves when the neighboring Philistines
start campaigning against the airpark.
3. Anything on wells/septic tanks.
4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

Reasoning here?

5. No runway lights or who prohibit night operations (Lakeway comes to
mind).
6. Those with poor approaches.
7. Those with too many other restrictions (Ocean Reef comes to mind).
8. Too far from the beach. (Arizona is mostly beach, but the water is a
bit far away.)

What do you think about Captiva?
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old March 11th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:05:59 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

Very nice, this is a different airpark animal. Homes aren't sitting on the
runway, nice tarmac, what's with the lake on approach?

On the road, cars come at you at 100 mph - with the intent of
missing by 2 or 3 feet.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM