How embarrassing!

Old August 27th 04, 12:24 PM
Roger Long

Default How embarrassing!

Where is Miss Manners when you need her. I think I've gotten myself in a
real jam.

Our club could really use some publicity. I saw a very nice article about a
flying school in a nearby city so I called the reporter and offered to take
him flying. He is quite interested in doing a story on the club and asked if
the other reporter on his beat could come along.

I told him that would be fine but I would need to know their weights so I
could adjust the fuel load in our 172 N. He emailed back that he is 350 lbs.

I'm quite sure that the seats are not rated for anywhere near that. Even if
they are, as the maintenance officer who has had these 28 year old seats out
many times to repair the trim and covering, there is no way I want to put
350 pounds on them.

Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

--

Roger Long

Old August 27th 04, 12:34 PM
Peter MacPherson

I think the seat belt would be an issue also. Does your club have
seat belt extenders?

. ..

Old August 27th 04, 01:32 PM
john smith

Roger Long wrote:
Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

Explain to him that this is a good example as to why terrorists cannot
effectively use light GA aircraft as delivery vehicles.
You just cannot put everything you think you can in one.

Old August 27th 04, 02:38 PM
Dan Thompson

Tell him you checked your club rules and found you are not allowed to do the
flight you planned with him. This line has the advantage that it is not
really a lie.

. ..

Old August 27th 04, 02:54 PM
William W. Plummer

Roger Long wrote:

[...]

Please don't lie or try to be coy. Simply show him the weight and
balance calculation and explain how his weight rules him out for the
plane. Do you think he is unaware of his weight? That's silly.
Old August 27th 04, 03:08 PM
Bill Denton

One thing to keep in mind: he can still write a GA story whether you take
him flying or not. The trick will be making sure that if he does write a
story, it comes out positive.

Unfortunately, that's a bit trickier than just avoiding embarrassing and
overweight potential passenger.

Good luck!

. ..

Old August 27th 04, 03:40 PM
C J Campbell

Oof! How much does the other reporter weigh?

Anyway, there is no way a 350 lb guy is going to fit in a 172. I have known
such who flew in specially modified 182s from the back seat. He is
undoubtedly used to being told that his weight is an issue.

Old August 27th 04, 04:01 PM
alexy

"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Roger Long wrote:

[...]

I second that! One needn't be mean-spirited in telling him the weight
limits of the planes in your club. Making up an excuse to not fly him
may actually be more rude (and hurtful if the real reason comes out or
is suspected).
--
Alex