How embarrassing!

Old August 27th 04, 11:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Roger Long" wrote in message ...
Where is Miss Manners when you need her. I think I've gotten myself in a
real jam.

Our club could really use some publicity. I saw a very nice article about a
flying school in a nearby city so I called the reporter and offered to take
him flying. He is quite interested in doing a story on the club and asked if
the other reporter on his beat could come along.

I told him that would be fine but I would need to know their weights so I
could adjust the fuel load in our 172 N. He emailed back that he is 350 lbs.

I'm quite sure that the seats are not rated for anywhere near that. Even if
they are, as the maintenance officer who has had these 28 year old seats out
many times to repair the trim and covering, there is no way I want to put
350 pounds on them.

Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

Do you have a bigger plane? A 182 should work. A 210 should certainly
work. You don't need much fuel for this flight. You might need some
weight in the back to balance out.

-Robert
Old August 28th 04, 12:55 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Roger Long wrote:

I'm quite sure that the seats are not rated for anywhere near that. Even if
they are, as the maintenance officer who has had these 28 year old seats out
many times to repair the trim and covering, there is no way I want to put
350 pounds on them.

There is no per-seat weight limit in a 172. I've done lots of flying at
nearly 300 lb. with no difficulty. Unless you are pretty hefty, there
should be no reason you can't fly him alone. You probably can't get
him, you, and the other guy all at once, though.

There appears to be some misunderstanding about how heavy passengers
can be because of the way the weight and balance charts are printed, but
I've seen nothing to suggest they're in any way regulatory.

Of course, if you just want to get out of it, tell him anything you like.

Mike Beede
Old August 28th 04, 03:48 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Long wrote:

Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

Politely explain to the man that the load limit on your seats is only whatever
pounds. In the case of my airplane, it's 250 pounds for the front and 240 pounds for
the rear. You could probably find the info for yours in the POH. Personally, I'm
willing to push the front seat limits a tad, but not 100 pounds worth.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 28th 04, 03:50 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Long wrote:

Now what do I do? One thing for sure, it's the last time I ask someone I
haven't met to go flying.

Just had a thought. Can you rent an aircraft capable of carrying him?

Old August 28th 04, 04:12 AM
jay somerset

I have read several replies toyour post, and just have to add my
2-cents worth...

Yes, it will be inconvenient to take him, but you can do it in any
172, but you will not be able to take anyone else with you. He will
also have to sit in the rear seat, or your WandB will be out of
range. If you weigh more than 300 pounds, then you will also have to
go with a partial fuel load.

As they lone occupanrt of the rear seat, the seat belt will not be a
problem -- he can cross-connect for esxtras width, if necessary.

As with other respondents, I recommend being honest and open, and
explain the W and B restrictions, and show him by example, just how
limited small GA aircraft really are. He might even come to
disbelieve all the 'myths' that surround the danger of GA aircraft to
national security.

Old August 28th 04, 03:31 PM
Blanche

More important, explaining the W&B will help the reporters understand
the limitations of various aircraft, and bring a modicum of
common sense to the discussions.

Well, I still believe in the Chocolate Curmudgeon, too!

(That's the job the Easter Bunny has the other 50 weeks of the year).

Old August 28th 04, 06:28 PM
Darrell

It's not just a weight issue. I don't think a 172 would have enough
physical space to contain him (and you) in the front seats and if you put
him in the back seat you would probably have CG issues.
--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

. ..

Old August 29th 04, 03:17 PM
Rich Ahrens

C J Campbell wrote:
Oof! How much does the other reporter weigh?

Anyway, there is no way a 350 lb guy is going to fit in a 172.

Nonsense.