Need info on aircraft separation

Old December 4th 03, 03:29 AM
Al B

Default Need info on aircraft separation

According to FAA regulations, is there any restriction on the
horizontal separation of aircraft?

I was unable to find anything in the FAA regs:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet

Part 91, Section 111 ("Operating near other aircraft") doesn't seem to
answer this. Part 91, Sections 159 and 179 deal with the vertical
flight deck concept based on compass direction, but doesn't indicate
any required horizontal separation.

The real question I'm trying to get an answer to has to do with
whether there is any required horizontal separation of passenger jets
that are flying at different flight decks.

If anyone knows the answer to this, I would really appreciate your
answer. Thanks!

-Al B.

--
Al B.

"That's jazz. Jazz is weird. Kinda like the same thing that goes on in my head."
- Alex Lifeson's rant during La Villa Strangiato in Rush's "Rock In Rio" concert
Old December 4th 03, 02:04 PM
Robert Moore

Al B wrote
The real question I'm trying to get an answer to has to do with
whether there is any required horizontal separation of passenger
jets that are flying at different flight decks.

If adequate vertical separation exists, no lateral separation is
required.
Vertical separation between airliners flying under instrument flight
rules (IFR) is normally 1,000'. The vertical separation of IFR
jetliners and general aviation aircraft flying under visual flight
rules (VFR) is normally 500'.
There is NO separation required for two VFR aircraft except to not
cause a collision hazard.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI
Old December 4th 03, 03:27 PM
Gary Mishler

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...
Al B wrote

Vertical separation between airliners flying under instrument flight
rules (IFR) is normally 1,000'.

Above FL290 vertical sep is 2,000', at least until domestic RVSM is
implemented. But, just as a slight correction, it's not just between
airliners. It's between any traffic (air carrier/gen av/military).

Mish

Old December 4th 03, 03:58 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Al B" wrote in message

According to FAA regulations, is there any restriction on the
horizontal separation of aircraft?

I was unable to find anything in the FAA regs:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet

Part 91, Section 111 ("Operating near other aircraft") doesn't seem to
answer this. Part 91, Sections 159 and 179 deal with the vertical
flight deck concept based on compass direction, but doesn't indicate
any required horizontal separation.

The real question I'm trying to get an answer to has to do with
whether there is any required horizontal separation of passenger jets
that are flying at different flight decks.

If anyone knows the answer to this, I would really appreciate your
answer. Thanks!

If you're asking if there is any regulatory separation minima placed upon a
pilot, the answer is no. Separation minima is established for controllers
and it varies with the Class of airspace and the type of operation; IFR,
VFR, or SVFR.

Old December 4th 03, 04:05 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...

Vertical separation between airliners flying under instrument flight
rules (IFR) is normally 1,000'.

Vertical separation between aircraft flying under IFR is 1000' at and below
FL 290, 2000' above FL 290. It doesn't matter if they're airliners or not.

The vertical separation of IFR
jetliners and general aviation aircraft flying under visual flight
rules (VFR) is normally 500'.

IFR/VFR vertical separation is 500' in Class B and Class C airspace, it
doesn't matter if they're jetliners or general aviation. There is no
IFR/VFR separation in Class D or Class E airspace.

There is NO separation required for two VFR aircraft except to not
cause a collision hazard.

VFR/VFR separation is required in Class B airspace.

Old December 4th 03, 04:31 PM
Robert Moore

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...

Vertical separation between airliners flying under instrument
flight rules (IFR) is normally 1,000'.

Vertical separation between aircraft flying under IFR is 1000'
at and below FL 290, 2000' above FL 290. It doesn't matter if
they're airliners or not.

Yes Steven, I took into consideration the knowledge level of the
person requesting the information.

The vertical separation of IFR
jetliners and general aviation aircraft flying under visual
flight rules (VFR) is normally 500'.

IFR/VFR vertical separation is 500' in Class B and Class C
airspace, it doesn't matter if they're jetliners or general
aviation. There is no IFR/VFR separation in Class D or Class E
airspace.

Yes Steven, I took into consideration the knowledge level of the
person requesting the information.

There is NO separation required for two VFR aircraft except to
not cause a collision hazard.

VFR/VFR separation is required in Class B airspace.

Yes Steven, I took into consideration the knowledge level of the
person requesting the information.

Yours truly, Bob Moore
Old December 4th 03, 04:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...

Yes Steven, I took into consideration the knowledge level of the
person requesting the information.

By providing inaccurate answers?