1/2 place flex seating configuration

Old December 16th 03, 06:40 PM
Jay

Default 1/2 place flex seating configuration

Trading off tandem vs side by side seating I came upon an idea I
wanted to run by the group. The mission my aircraft needs to perform
is mostly a single place weekend out and back kind of mission, with an
occasional 2 person XC trip. I'd been homing on the tandem seat
config because I like the fighter plane style symetric seating. But
my spouse doesn't like the idea of having to look at the back of my
head for 4 hours on trips and prefers the side by side configuration.
But I don't want to sit scrunched on one side of the aircraft year
round with the canopy next the side of my head because twice a year
she wants to have a seat beside me. And of course you have the
left/right unbalance. But then after a ride in a Zenith I had an
idea:

Zenith planes use single stick between the 2 passengers, either person
can use to fly. If the seat was bench style, I could sit in the
middle when flying solo, and push the 2 outside rudder pedals of the 2
pairs (or move cables to the 2 middle ones). You don't really need a
bucket seat in an airplane as you do in a car because most forces are
normal to the plane defined by the wings and thrust vector. It would
just be a nice roomy single seater at that point. Anyone seen
anything like this before?
Old December 16th 03, 08:25 PM
Gig Giacona

You don't mention which Zenith you rode in so what I say is based on the
601XL as that is what I'm building. To do what you are talking about you
would have to raise the seat a significant amount to clear the control
cables which would lead to hear room clearance problems. Or you could
reroute them which I think would be WAY more trouble that it's worth.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

om...

Old December 16th 03, 08:28 PM
Mitch Hines

Have you looked at the Sonex? ( www.sonex-ltd.com ) With the center stick
it can be flown from the center with one foot on the far left rudder pedal
and the other on the far right. The designer even mentions this in the
informational video. It can also be built with two sticks, but the center
stick is common just for the reason you mentioned, flying in the center when
solo.

--Mitch

Mitch Hines
Alon A-2 Aircoupe
N6369V

Flight by machines heavier than air is unpractical
and insignificant, if not utterly impossible.

- Simon Newcomb, 1902

om...

Old December 17th 03, 06:13 AM
Martin Morgan

Yep. That is how the Rans S-10 is set up. I have flown an S-10, but only
2 up so I can't say how good it is. I imagine that the compromise is the
loss of view out the sides and always having frontal area that you don't
always need.

I am told that it works quite well though. And since I have a serious
bent to centerline flying, I'd probably set up that way if there was no
way of saying NO to the missus...

Martin
Pitts S-1S

Old December 18th 03, 05:42 PM
BllFs6

Hi all

This thread reminds me of something I've been wondering about the past year or
2....

Okay, you have side by side seating...in which you either have a nice wide
cockpit and pay a substantial weight/aero penalty....or you have your shoulders
rubbing the canopy on one side and the passengers on the other....

Or, you can take inline seating....but now the passenger gets to stare at the
back of the pilots head and really cant help with watching guages (well they
can if you install 2 of everything....another penalty there) or flying or
digging up maps etc etc....

So, what about a mixture of the two?

Imagine side by side seats.....but you slide the passenger seat back roughly 2
feet.....if you do that and allow the passengers legs to be lower than the
level of the pilots hips....you can have a pretty narrow cabin that would still
allow a decent amount of elbow/hip/shoulder room .....and perhaps even allow
for the left (say) passengers leg to be under the pilots seat....

Anyone ever seen an arrangement like that?

Seems to me that it might be a more efficient and comfortable way to pack
people and stuff into a small cabin....

take care

Blll
Old December 18th 03, 10:41 PM
Russell Kent

BllFs6 wrote:

[...]

Like this?

Russell Kent

Old December 18th 03, 10:43 PM
Russell Kent

BllFs6 wrote:

[...]

Arrg.... Let me try that again.

Here is a URL to a project with staggered seating.

http://www.canard.com/~noselift/Stag...stagger_ez.htm

Russell Kent

Old December 19th 03, 02:08 AM
Henry Bibb

"Jay" wrote in message
om...

Zenith planes use single stick between the 2 passengers, either person
can use to fly. If the seat was bench style, I could sit in the
middle when flying solo, and push the 2 outside rudder pedals of the 2
pairs (or move cables to the 2 middle ones). You don't really need a
bucket seat in an airplane as you do in a car because most forces are
normal to the plane defined by the wings and thrust vector. It would
just be a nice roomy single seater at that point. Anyone seen
anything like this before?

Luscombe model 8. Conventional sticks, but the technique
works.

Henry Bibb

Old December 19th 03, 03:00 AM
Leon McAtee

So, what about a mixture of the two?

Imagine side by side seats.....but you slide the passenger seat back roughly 2
feet.....if you do that and allow the passengers legs to be lower than the
level of the pilots hips....you can have a pretty narrow cabin that would still
allow a decent amount of elbow/hip/shoulder room .....and perhaps even allow
for the left (say) passengers leg to be under the pilots seat....

Anyone ever seen an arrangement like that?

There is an article in an old Popular Mechanix or Science where just
that seating arangment was proposed for a "next generation" trainer.
IIRC Rutan had something to do with the article........

Blll

For the original poster - Since she doesn't like the look of the back
of your head, have you considered turning her around and let her look
where you have been? This arngment also has the added benefit of
having the pilot and passanger's CG closer together than the
traditional arangment.