Oshkosh 2005 pictures up

Old August 10th 05, 08:50 AM

Default Oshkosh 2005 pictures up

Alright, I realize that Oshkosh is so very last week, but with my drive home
to Southern California and going back to work it's taken me until now to
weed through all 1992 pictures I took.

I weeded them down to 539... obviously not all of them are interesting but
at least they're broken up into categories, including the rec.aviation.*
party at Jay's, so hopefully they're at least enjoyable.

Being my first Airventure, this was one of the most incredible things I've
ever experienced. Next July won't come early enough.

http://www.togo84.com/picturearchive...Highlights.htm

-Tony Goetz
......349 days, 348 days, 347 days.....

Old August 10th 05, 01:42 PM
Jim Burns

Tony,
Your "unidentified small town" in Wisconsin on the way to OSH, is Wautoma,
where Mike Crowell crashed. Also known as the town with the Ercoupe on the
gas station roof.
Jim

Old August 10th 05, 04:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Great pix, Tony! I really like the "panoramic sunset" over the Warbird
area...

South Africa hosted a party? In Camp Scholler?

What's the story with that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 10th 05, 08:59 PM
Jack Allison

Nice pictures Tony...but...man, driving from CA to OSH and back? Wow,
*that's* dedication. I'm a whimp, I fly. Hehe, way more fun too, even
from Northern CA :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old August 10th 05, 10:29 PM

Jim Burns pointed out,
Tony,
Your "unidentified small town" in Wisconsin on the way to OSH, is Wautoma,
where Mike Crowell crashed. Also known as the town with the Ercoupe on

the
gas station roof.
Jim

Ah yes. Thanks Jim! I couldn't remember where I took the shot, I just knew I
liked it.

-Tony Goetz

Old August 10th 05, 10:41 PM

Jay said,
Great pix, Tony! I really like the "panoramic sunset" over the Warbird
area...

South Africa hosted a party? In Camp Scholler?

What's the story with that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Thanks for the kind words, Jay! Those sunset shots were frustrating -
everywhere I looked was another photo waiting to be taken. The ones I got
turned out pretty well though, if I do say so myself...

Regarding the South Africa party, on Friday night as I walked back to camp I
heard music off in the distance and figured someone must have had karaoke
set up or something. Others were projecting movies on the side of their RVs,
which was pretty cool. Saturday night I sought out an electrical outlet so I
could run my laptop and transfer some pictures over from the camera. Off I
went into the camp, and after about 10 minutes I heard music again. What the
hell, I thought - I'll see what's happening. I walked over and saw that it
wasn't just karaoke, it was a giant party being held at a small first aid
station (or whatever that small shack was). As you can see in the pictures,
it was really decked out. They had an amplifier and were blasting the live
music. A short ways away they had a bonfire going and a massive BBQ.

Two people in charge of evening activities at the EAA were there for the
show and I asked them what the deal was. Apparently these guys from South
Africa make the trek every year and throw this huge party. The food looked
good (I was a bit late to try it out), the music was absolutely great, and
the atmosphere was...well, it was uniquely Camp Scholler I guess. The guy
playing guitar and singing covered quite a few tunes in the short while I
was there. I'll even admit to being moved by his rendition of John Denver
songs (okay, so Denver isn't that bad, just cliche!).

All in all, it looked like a really great time. I wish I had discovered it
earlier in the evening/week. I'll surely catch it next year.

-Tony Goetz

Old August 10th 05, 10:48 PM

Jack Allison wrote
Nice pictures Tony...but...man, driving from CA to OSH and back? Wow,
*that's* dedication. I'm a whimp, I fly. Hehe, way more fun too, even
from Northern CA :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student
Arrow N2104T

One of these days Jack...! Hopefully by next year I'll have my plane
finished. I'm building a Stits Flutterbug at Flabob Airport here in So. Cal.
That may be wishful thinking though. As for this year, the promise of White
Knight, SpaceShipOne, Global Flyer, Glacier Girl, Fifi (until the last
minute), all the forums, and the fact that it's simply the greatest place on
Earth made me have to go by any means necessary. Besides, who doesn't love
road trips? 2800 miles each way, going down I-10 through Tucson to drop a
friend off, seeing the country, stopping to see family for a free meal and
bed, the amazement of my first Oshkosh, and the experience of Scholler. Was
it worth it? I think we already know the answer to that!

Of course, now I'm hooked on the experience. I have an annual trip I'll have
to take every summer.

My name is Tony, and I'm addicted to aviation.

-Tony Goetz

Old August 10th 05, 10:54 PM
Dave Stadt

wrote in message
Jay said,
[...]

The South African contingent has been camping in the same spot for several
years that I know of. They have their own small building with
communications capability back home and other very civilized amenities.
Next year you should try to make it to Swine Fest or however they spell it.
It involves a slow cooked dead animal and other culinary delights. It is
held pretty close to where the South Africans camp.

Old August 11th 05, 02:03 AM
Blueskies

wrote in message ...
Alright, I realize that Oshkosh is so very last week, but with my drive home
to Southern California and going back to work it's taken me until now to
weed through all 1992 pictures I took.

I weeded them down to 539... obviously not all of them are interesting but
at least they're broken up into categories, including the rec.aviation.*
party at Jay's, so hopefully they're at least enjoyable.

Being my first Airventure, this was one of the most incredible things I've
ever experienced. Next July won't come early enough.

http://www.togo84.com/picturearchive...Highlights.htm

-Tony Goetz
.....349 days, 348 days, 347 days.....

Great set of shots - Thanks!

Old August 11th 05, 02:21 AM

Dave Stadt said
[...]

I was wondering what the building was. I just assumed it was something the
airport had put up. How do they get all the stuff over here? Do they ship it
on ahead of them and then fly over commercially? I'll hit up Swine Fest next
year. I'll be doing a lot more exploring in Scholler to seek out the night
life. This year I was a newbie and would be out on the flightline from
morning till 11pm, by which time I just wanted to rest.

-Tony Goetz

Oshkosh 2005 pictures up Home Built 4 August 11th 05 08:24 AM
Oshkosh Pictures Marv Home Built 2 August 2nd 05 01:14 AM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Home Built 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Owning 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM