2013 USA Competition Rules Published

Old March 5th 13, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2013 USA Competition Rules Published

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:31:30 AM UTC-6, John Carlyle wrote:
Yeah, I learned (most of) them the hard way too, Herb (although I did read them several times). But Start Time Interval is a new one to me. I couldn't find it in the 2013 Sports Class National rules either. What is it?

-John, Q3

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:16:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Charlie Spratt Story: During my very first contest at Uvalde in '90 I sat through the mandatory pilots meeting and when it was time for questions, I asked Charlie: What's a start time interval? When the laughter subsided, he sat there for a while, rolled his eyes, mumbled something about the idiots coming to these meets without having read any rules and assigned someone to me to explain the basics.

In short Pete, just go to a contest and figure it out! At some level we all did that.

Herb, J7

John,
When writing the note I realized that the 'joke' was probably lost on today's contest pilots. Given the high median age of glider jockeys, I figured there might be some left who remember this. When turn-point cameras were common in the Dark Ages, we had to go through the start gate for repeat starts inside a start time interval that was set as part of the task. The idea was that an enterprising pilot could not start, fly to the 1st turnpoint, take a picture, return and start again (and go to the 2nd turnpoint). This went away with GPS recorders but not without the contest committee dragging their feet for some years.
Old March 5th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What with all the excitement about club classs, igc rules, and artificial horizons, I never got around to writing the usual annual pilot’s guide to rule changes.

So, here is a very short “what’s new in the rules that a pilot needs to know about” for 2013.

10.8.2 Valid start
10.8.2.1 A valid start is a start obtained after the task has opened and after the pilot's last launch. A pilot must have a valid start to be given a scored start time and position. The best-scoring valid start of the claimed task is used.
10.8.2.1.1 Deleted 2013
10.8.2.1.2 Deleted 2013

It used to be that you had to take the last start with no penalty. We simplified it. Now any start is valid. And you always have the explicit right to choose any start point that gives you a better score.

Example: If you start out the top, fall back in the cylinder, and exit 2:30 minutes later, your first start out the top is still valid.

Note that winscore does not automatically pick the right start. If you want something other than the last start, you are well advised to make sure the scorer found it.

Scorers: until winscore finds them automatically, you should look for starts out the top even if the later start out the side does not trigger a penalty. You should choose the start that gives the best score including penalties, not necessarily the longest flight, shortest time, lowest penalty, etc.

You still are only credited with distance in the “front half” of the cylinder, though starts out the top or side of the “back half” of the cylinder are still valid and trigger no penalties.

Finish

10.9.2. There are no changes to the rules, but reviewing how it works is useful so you’re not hauling out the rule book on final glide.

The typical finish height will now be 700 feet AGL or more.

If you finish between 500 and 700 feet, you get speed points but a penalty. The penalty is

12.1.4.5 Finish penalty (Rule 10.9.3.4): penalty = 5 + (Finish Height Difference) / 5.

So, 100 feet low means 25 points and 200 feet low means 45 points. These are pretty mild.

However, if you are more than 200 feet low, you are scored as if you landed out at the home airport.

10.9.2.5.3 When the Finish Height Difference is greater than 200 feet, the task is incomplete.

Again, no change, but this rule surprised a few pilots who finished very low last year and were scored as if landing out.

The strategic implication of this rule: The penalty for finishing up to 200 feet low is very mild. Don't do anything dumb if you're a few miles out and may end up slightly low. Well, don't do anything dumb, period.

If you judge that you will not make it with finish height – 200 feet to spare, it makes absolutely no difference to your score whether you land in the last good field below you, or stretch to make the airport. It is also worth stopping for any lift rather than cross the finish line 201 feet or more below the finish eight.

Team flying

Regionals

10.7.2.10 ‡ * Air-to-air radio communication between competing pilots is permitted, subject to the following rules:
10.7.2.10.1 ‡ * Such communications shall exclusively use aviation radios, and shall be done in a way that does not interfere with normal contest procedures conducted on the contest frequency.
10.7.2.10.2 ‡ * For any reason other than safety, radio communication with pilots not entered in the competition and ground-to air communication are prohibited.
10.7.2.10.3 ‡ * Contest organizers may elect to disallow the radio communication provided for in this Rule; this should be announced well prior to the Preferential Entry Deadline. Such communication may be disallowed for some classes and not for others.
10.7.2.10.4 ‡ * The CD may temporarily or permanently disallow radio communication that proves detrimental to the operation or safety of the contest

So, we’re allowed to team-fly, mentor, or help each other informally on the radio. Look for each CD to work out some procedures for the contest you fly in, especially when not to use 123.3. Pay attention!

The seniors has received a waiver from 10.7.2.10.1 allowing pilots to use walkie talkies. Other contests may do the same, especially if aviation frequencies are crowded.

Nationals

10.7.2.9 Air-to-air and ground-to-air radio communication for any reason other than safety is prohibited; an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty may apply (Rule 12.2.5.3).

The added “this rule specifically forbids team flying” has been dropped. You may not talk to each other in the air, or exchange data (text, etc.) but formal or informal cooperation is not against the rules. This was a clarification, not a change, but many pilots felt that all “team flying” was against the rules.

Relights

1.6 ‡ National competitions held at the same place and times as other competitions are to be given preference for entry positions, and in gridding and launching. When in the judgment of the Competition Director it is practical, re-launches of National entrants should also be given preference over those of other classes.
A1.6 This rule makes it clear that when contests are co-located, national competitions are given priority. "Preference" does not necessarily mean the national must be launched first every day, it just means that the CD must consider the needs of the national contest first.

So, if you’re at a nationals, and you have to relight during the regional launch, you may not have to wait until the end of the regional launch, and you may be allowed to cut in line ahead of regional relights. CDs need to know this too, and where possible let the national relight.

Showing up late.

If it’s pouring rain, you don’t have to be there 9 am first contest day. And, if you want to miss the first day and show up later that’s ok too – so long as you have completed ALL of the registration by mail.

A5.5.3.2 ‡ The physical presence of an entrant is not required at the time of entry deadline (registration). An entrant who wishes to arrive late may do so provided all contest registration requirements of Rule 5.5.3.1 have been completed prior to the specified deadline time and arrangements have been made to receive the required safety briefing directly from the CD. All pilots have a right to know about any entrant who plans to arrive late.

That's all I can think of that really matters to the average pilot. RC, have I forgotten something?

John Cochrane
Old March 5th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Thanks, Herb. While I'm well above median glider pilot age, I've only been guiding gliders since 2005, and have only ever used GPS flight recording. So STI was a mystery to me.

-John, Q3

Old March 5th 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:56:16 AM UTC-6, wrote:
"John, When writing the note I realized that the 'joke' was probably lost on today's contest pilots. Given the high median age of glider jockeys, I figured there might be some left who remember this. When turn-point cameras were common in the Dark Ages, we had to go through the start gate for repeat starts inside a start time interval that was set as part of the task. The idea was that an enterprising pilot could not start, fly to the 1st turnpoint, take a picture, return and start again (and go to the 2nd turnpoint). This went away with GPS recorders but not without the contest committee dragging their feet for some years."

I remember those days well, Herb. Helped get me out of last place one day at a contest long ago.

To the Rules Committee:

Forgot to mention this earlier, but maybe it can get done next year. 10.1.4 in the Nationals rules isn't needed any more. This paragraph currently says "Start Opens - at the time of the first launch." Since STI went away with cameras, there is no need to "open the start (gate)" before you "open the task". Likely a source of confusion to Open the Start but not Open the Task in this day of GPS control. If this paragraph gets deleted, it might help in avoiding some confusion. Same paragraph can go away from the other contest rules, too.

I like being able to delete paragraphs from the rules!

Steve Leonard

Old March 5th 13, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:21:29 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve, I like to remove stuff too!
QT
Nuevo Piata aka RC Chair
Old March 5th 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

wrote:
On Monday, March 4, 2013 10:24:37 PM UTC-6, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback that the link below was to an old version of the

file on the SSA web site. I have updated the link.

Paul Remde

"Paul Remde" wrote in message ...

Hi Peter,

Yes. The Sailplane Racing Association's Guide to Soaring Competition is the

best resource I'm aware of.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books/SRA/SRA-Guide.htm

Many other excellent free soaring article downloads are available he

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books.htm#Free_Downloads

Also, reading the rules is highly recommended. They are intimidating and

not very exciting, but not so tough to read as they appear at first glance.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

_______________________________

"Peter von Tresckow" wrote in message

"John Godfrey (QT)" wrote:

The US Competition Rules for 2013 have been posted on the Rules and

Process page of the SSA website

(http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbrc10235857).

You can access the rules directly via these links:

National FAI Class

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

National Sport Class

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Regional FAI Class

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Regional Sport Class

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Thanks to all who provided suggestions during 2012, participated in the

opinion poll and provided feedback during comment period.

There are no changes from the summary of changes published earlier.

For the committee,

John Godfrey, Chair

Thanks guys, I do have a newbie question. Is there a good resource for

neophyte racing pilots that explains tasks, start procedures, strategies

etc?

I think that may actually help people get into racing.

Thanks

Pete

Charlie Spratt Story: During my very first contest at Uvalde in '90 I
sat through the mandatory pilots meeting and when it was time for
questions, I asked Charlie: What's a start time interval? When the
laughter subsided, he sat there for a while, rolled his eyes, mumbled
something about the idiots coming to these meets without having read any
rules and assigned someone to me to explain the basics.
In short Pete, just go to a contest and figure it out! At some level we all did that.
Herb, J7

Herb I agree that that is a good way to learn, and I kind of did that a few
years ago at sky soaring for they I contest. I think it would take a lot of
the anxiety out of going to your first contest if there is a good how to
manual to start with. Of you at least have the basics down it is a lot
easier for you to do we and have fun.

I think that may also be part of what keeps new people from trying contest
flying.

Hopefully the Ka6 will be repainted in time for the sky soaring event.

Pete
Old March 6th 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:03:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Finish

10.9.2. There are no changes to the rules, but reviewing how it works is useful so youre not hauling out the rule book on final glide.

The typical finish height will now be 700 feet AGL or more.

If you finish between 500 and 700 feet, you get speed points but a penalty. The penalty is

John, a quick question: How is the finish height defined and measured? For accuracy, it's really a QFE height (height above the runway, not above the ground where you finish). Not a big deal (since most of us don't have radar altimeters) but if you use your moving map "AGL" feature you might get a surprise! And if there are ridges around, you could be lot lower AGL but still be at or above your finish height. So is your finish height taken from your logger altitude, adjusted for difference in pressure altitude after landing?

Oh well, back to clock-watching at the finish...still a bad idea IMHO. And please don't tell us to "just get high enough so that you are comfortably above the finish height". That's like telling a NASCAR driver to stay nice and low, and not to draft too close... We will still be trying to burn off every foot of excess altitude to finish at 701 ft - staring at the altimeter.
Old March 6th 13, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

John,

The accident at the Canadian Nationals cannot be directly linked to the finish procedure. It was an out-landing accident. Please stop using this as justification for higher finishes.

Old March 7th 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:16:00 PM UTC-6, Dave Springford wrote:
John,

The accident at the Canadian Nationals cannot be directly linked to the finish procedure. It was an out-landing accident. Please stop using this as justification for higher finishes.

As far as all the information I have, it was an outlanding accident about a mile from a finish ring with no minimum altitude for speed poiints. Of course we don't know what happened, and less what was in this pilots head, but this is exactly the scenario that has happened over and over again when pilots were encouraged to try for "speed points" by doing mac cready zero glides and popping over the fence. (In the szeged case, we know that is exactly what was going on)

The danger in the finish line and rolling finish has nothing to do with the finish itself. The danger, proved over and over again, is that blown final glides in which the pilot decides to land out starting at 300 feet or less lead to crash after crash.
Old March 7th 13, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I guess that's the problem - assumptions based on rumours, or incorrect information. The accident happened substantially further away than 1 mile and the pilot was never above glide slope to make the field at Macready zero.