Question about wings on Continental Airlines plane?

Old December 13th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Question about wings on Continental Airlines plane?

I hadn't flown in 7 yrs until last week when i went on a vacation. My
question is that the plane i flew in had the tips of its wings bent or
inverted upward. I had never seen this before. Someone told me that
this was done to save fuel, but is that it?

Old December 13th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Old Bloke

wrote in message
ups.com...
I hadn't flown in 7 yrs until last week when i went on a vacation. My
question is that the plane i flew in had the tips of its wings bent or
inverted upward. I had never seen this before. Someone told me that
this was done to save fuel, but is that it?

AFAIK the winglets reduce turbulence, and hence result in lower drag.

Old December 13th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

wrote:

I hadn't flown in 7 yrs until last week when i went on a vacation. My
question is that the plane i flew in had the tips of its wings bent or
inverted upward. I had never seen this before. Someone told me that
this was done to save fuel, but is that it?

The winglets you saw create the effect of greater wingspan. This increases
the apparent aspect ratio of the wing which makes it more efficient.

So, yes; it's done to save fuel.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 13th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

I hadn't flown in 7 yrs until last week when i went on a vacation. My
question is that the plane i flew in had the tips of its wings bent or
inverted upward. I had never seen this before. Someone told me that
this was done to save fuel, but is that it?

The winglets you saw create the effect of greater wingspan. This
increases the apparent aspect ratio of the wing which makes it more
efficient.

So, yes; it's done to save fuel.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Don't they also "capture" some of the spanwise flow and direct it rearward
also?

Jay B

Old December 13th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

wrote in message
ups.com

I hadn't flown in 7 yrs until last week when i went on a vacation. My
question is that the plane i flew in had the tips of its wings bent or
inverted upward. I had never seen this before. Someone told me that
this was done to save fuel, but is that it?

From http://oea.larc.nasa.gov/PAIS/Concept2Reality/winglets.html:

"The resulting reduction in aircraft drag for a properly designed winglet
configuration can be extremely significant in terms of fuel consumption and
range."

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old December 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Beckman" wrote:

Don't they also "capture" some of the spanwise flow and direct it rearward
also?

Could be; I hadn't heard that one.