V-8 powered Seabee

Old October 23rd 03, 05:05 AM
Bart D. Hull

Holger,

I don't think you get it. I wrote a few emails critical
of Bob, and he has written dozens of critical emails about
auto-conversions without a complaint.

If you notice, my emails generated REAL feedback on auto
conversions.

I'm sure Bob's Ego will heal and maybe he'll be a more
beneficial contributor to this group.

That's my hope.

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.
Holger Stephan wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:37:37 +0000, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

You might think it's funny, and in a way maybe it is funny.

No it is not funny. The discussions here are saved to many databases and
threads are not always kept together. There is no guarantee Bart's
second mail will stay together with his childish attempt to make a joke
using someone else's identity.

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob.

Bart: if you want to improve the noise level here stop picking on those
you don't agree with. Or get a life.

- Holger

Old October 23rd 03, 05:05 AM
RDA

I'm still trying to figger how you got under 600 hrs out of your 0-200 in
your 172....Oh....thats right- two jugs fell off somewhere.

Yea, that's the answer!

"BD5ER" wrote in message

SNIP

These guys seem to have done a pretty good job. 600 hours is longer than

the
O-200 lasted in the lasted 172 I flew......

Old October 23rd 03, 05:39 AM
Folgers Coffee

I suspect it probably would have been easier to replace
the old 215 Franklin with the new 220 HP model with far less work than it
took to convert the Chevy....

Yes, but it would not have been nearly as irritating to Barnyard BOb.
He is still around, isn't he? Not that I can tell.

--
David Hill

Sautee-Nacoochee, GA, USA

filters, they're not just for coffee anymore
The following needn't bother to reply, you are filtered:
Juan E Jimenez, Barnyard BOb, Larry Smith, John Nada

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

David who?

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 23rd 03, 06:00 AM
Holger Stephan

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:05:23 +0000, Bart D. Hull wrote:

I don't think you get it. I wrote a few emails critical
of Bob, and he has written dozens of critical emails about
auto-conversions without a complaint.

If it is as you say, Bob commented on the matter and you on his person.
Which is what I refered to as noise. Bob won't change and particularily
not in reaction to your attacks. Or, probably in reaction to anything that
comes from someone with 20 years less aviation than he has.

- Holger
Old October 23rd 03, 06:01 AM
Barnyard BOb --

snip

The Seabee discussion has actually produced some useful info
pertaining to all conversions.

Bart

From your statement it can be seen that more gullibility
was produced than broad implementable information.

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 23rd 03, 06:23 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Holger,

I don't think you get it. I wrote a few emails critical
of Bob, and he has written dozens of critical emails about
auto-conversions without a complaint.

If you notice, my emails generated REAL feedback on auto
conversions.

I'm sure Bob's Ego will heal and maybe he'll be a more
beneficial contributor to this group.

That's my hope.

Bart

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry Bart,
Your emails, for the most part, attack ME...
not my position on auto conversions which
you have yet to comprehend.

I am NOT against auto conversions.
I'm against simplistic auto conversion bull****.

*YOU'RE* the one who doesn't "get it".

Barnyard BOb --

Old October 23rd 03, 06:26 AM
John Stricker

The Northstar of either the 4.6L or the 4.0 Liter are within 10 pounds in
weight to the LS6, ready to run. Many Northstars are still running with no
visible wear on the cylinders after 150,000 miles. They had a problem the
first three years of porous aluminum castings causing oil leaks that were
replaced by Cadillac with new engines. That problem hasn't been a factor
for quite a while. They had a service bulletin on the oil pump relief valve
sticking as well which was addressed with a new design oil pump in '96.

I don't think you can make the mileage claim of the LS6 over the Northstar
since they were never put in comparably weighted vehicles. I know that the
guys that swap them into Fieros can routinely make well over 30 mpg on the
highway, and the LS6 guys can't do that. But most of the LS6 guys are using
manuals and not the 4T80E that the Northstar was designed to run in front
of.

Both the LS6 and the Northstar/Aurora can supposedly be driven with no
coolant but that's simply a factor of power limiting coming into play in the
PCM. They won't allow them to make enough power to generate enough heat to
cause a catastrophic failure. The other thing is they come standard with an
external engine oil cooler that takes a lot of the coolant load off the
radiator. That doesn't change the complexity of the engine itself. They
use the same sensors and fuel management control. In fact, the LS6 fuel
pressure regulator is a bolt on that the Northstar guys use because there
are adjustable versions of it out there.

There is one major difference in the electronics of a Northstar over a LS6.
The Northstar uses two crankshaft position sensors and a special toothed
segment on the crankshaft which allows the ECM to determine the precise
crank position within 180° of crankshaft rotation. That was incorporated
strictly to make the engine start quickly.

I don't know what you mean by "staying in one piece". The Cadillac is good
to over 7000 rpm on a regular basis with stock rods, crank, and pistons.
The only time they get upgraded by the guys that push them is if they're
boosted over about 7 psi and making more than 525hp. They use the same
powdered metal construction rods the LS6 uses with full floating piston
pins. The engine I'm in the process of building uses turbo cams and springs
from CHRFab that are good to 9,000 rpm. When I called around to some of my
friends that were service managers in Cadillac dealerships to get some
information on rebuilding and weak spots, all of them said they really
didn't know much about it because they'd never had one apart.

John Stricker

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:52:03 -0500, "John Stricker"
wrote:

Clare,

The Northstar system is functionally identical to the LS6 with the

exception
of a single crank sensor instead of 2 on the Cadillac.

John Stricker

clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote in message
.. .

The Northstar system is VERY daunting.

The LS6 is lighter, more powerful, and gives better mileage than a
Northstar. It also tends to stay in one peice, and running, much
longer than the Northstar. The LS6 has adaptive shut-down to allow it
to get home without coolant like the Northstar (supposedly) will? ? If
so, I was not aware of it. I thought it was ONLY the northstar and
Aurora engines that had those features.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:03 AM
Barnyard BOb --

I don't think you get it. I wrote a few emails critical
of Bob, and he has written dozens of critical emails about
auto-conversions without a complaint.

If it is as you say, Bob commented on the matter and you on his person.
Which is what I refered to as noise. Bob won't change and particularily
not in reaction to your attacks. Or, probably in reaction to anything that
comes from someone with 20 years less aviation than he has.

- Holger

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bart informed me that he is 35 years old.
I am nearly 66.

In some ways, I wish Bart was my eldest son.
He would hold a Masters in Mechanical Engineering
and an MBA plus nearly a decade experience as senior
turbine design engineer for two Fortune 50 companies.
He would also hold a Commercial pilot certificate,
multi engine rating, instrument ticket and CFI rating.

Relating to an immature Bart is infinitely more difficult
than dealing with a youthful educated man of advanced
credentials and experience.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of flight
Old October 23rd 03, 08:22 AM
Bart D. Hull

Bob,

What makes you think I don't have "credentials" or
various flight certs? Even as a "youngster" at 35.

I was attacking your personal vendetta on auto-conversions
that seemed rather lacking in basis.

If I were your son, I'd expect more discussion and less
doctrine. If you can't suggest or support improvement of
anyone elses projects or ideas, how can a person grow
or develop new ideas?

Bart

Old October 23rd 03, 11:33 AM
Robert Schieck

You are changing the topic again....

I never said that you said it was too daunting, I just said that if it
was, you could purchase one from Brian, here is a quote from your first
message:

I'm elbow deep into a Northstar right now for a completely (ground-based)
different purpose. The electronics and systems on this are daunting with
untold failure modes.

We are the masters of word all unspoken and slave to those that are.....

Rob

human powered flight patrick timony Home Built 10 September 16th 03 03:38 AM
Illusive elastic powered Ornithopter Mike Hindle Home Built 6 September 15th 03 03:32 PM
Pre-Rotator Powered by Compressed Air? nuke Home Built 8 July 30th 03 12:36 PM
Powered Parachute Plans MJC Home Built 4 July 15th 03 07:29 PM
Powered Parachute Plans- correction Cy Galley Home Built 0 July 11th 03 03:43 AM