"Wrong handle" accidents

Old July 19th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Default "Wrong handle" accidents

wrote:
If a landing check list were used, wouldn't these problems be avoided?

Pretty obviously NO, from the story I shared...since I WAS using the
checklist and grabbed the wrong handle during the execution. Touch It,
See It, Say it saved me big bucks and embarrassment in front of one of
my passengers (who later became my wife).

That said, in the "heat of battle," such as those described in this and
other threads, looking and saying can be short circuited by lack of
time. Recent accidents also show that all of our newfangled automation
may not save the day (e.g., C-5 at Dover, wrong throttle retarded to
idle).

As the Armed Forces point out, there are BOLD FACE procedures that are
supposed to be committed to memory, fallible as it is...

The unfortunate nature of soaring (usually single seat, less than a
million bucks damage, fewer fatalities) means that the FAA and other
Civil Aviation Authorities don't pressure the redesign of horrible
ergonomics or human factors designs as they do in the case of an
airliner crash due to poor design. There are numerous cases where, in
typical knee jerk fasion, the CAA's actually made matters worse trying
to make a fairly straightforward control "fool proof," and all these
R.A.S. threads go a long ways to prove just how clever us fools can
really get!

I try to be humble: I haven't landed with the gear up -- yet. Those
that know me know it's virtually impossible in my glider (1-26), but
quite possible in my power plane (Globe GC-1B Swift). I plan to do my
best to remain vigilant so I can say "...yet..." for as long as
possible.

Thanks for a great thread, folks!

-Pete