ADIZ pilot's ticket revoked

Old May 24th 05, 03:44 AM
AES

In article ,
Just go look it up! wrote:

Their side of the story is at
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050520/205544.html?.v=1

As I read through the above I kept thinking more and mo despite the
first person wording, this just doesn't sound like something two
ordinary people would have written -- it sounds more and more like words
_very_ carefully crafted by an attorney. And sure enough, at the bottom:

"A principal in the Washington, D.C. law firm of Joseph, McDermott &
Reiner, P.C., Mark T. McDermott is engaged in general practice with
an emphasis on litigation, aviation law, and pilot medical
certification. . . . McDermott has been retained by Jim Sheaffer
to represent him in the FAA's investigation of this matter."
Old May 24th 05, 05:17 AM
H.P.

"Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube" wrote in message
I wish they'd shot that Schaefer guy. He's rat****ed all of us. No
doubt, there will be some great clamor from the lay public for the FAA
to "DO SOMETHING," and the FAA will drool and do something all right.
It'll be stupid, pointless and ineffective, will rat**** a lot of
law-abiding people and not accomplish a thing.

I hope Schaefer never sees a left seat again.

That being said...Now please have your dominatrix take that bandana'ed ball
out of your mouth, remove the handcuffs, take off the cop hat, comb your
beard and pull up your pants. Now...straighten-out the leathers, slowly
return to the Harley, start her up and go home. Your mother just put clean
sheets on your bed and she's wondering what flavor cake you'd like for your
40th.

Old May 24th 05, 05:32 AM
George Patterson

A.Coleman wrote:

AA Revokes License of D.C. 'Alert' Pilot

Another account -- from AOPA --
FAA revokes pilot's certificate

The FAA has revoked Hayden "Jim" Sheaffer's private pilot certificate for
violating on May 11 the heavily restricted airspace over the nation's capital.
The errant pilot's actions caused an international stir.

In the eight-page emergency revocation, the FAA found that Sheaffer failed to
properly prepare for the flight, lost situational awareness throughout the
flight, penetrated multiple layers of restricted and prohibited airspace, didn't
respond properly to intercepting aircraft, and failed to take physical control
of the airplane from an inexperienced passenger.

"Your operation of civil aircraft N5826G under these circumstances demonstrates
either a complete disregard or lack of understanding of basic requirements for
the safe operation of aircraft," the letter said. "These failures establish that
you lack the qualifications necessary to hold an airman certificate."

Sheaffer was ordered to immediately surrender his certificate to the FAA. He
will not be permitted to fly for a minimum of one year. He can then apply for a
new certificate provided he passes a written and practical test. He has the
right to make an immediate appeal to the NTSB. The FAA decided not to take
action against the passenger on the Cessna 150, student pilot Troy Martin.

Sheaffer has hired an attorney, Mark T. McDermott, a principal in the
Washington, D.C., law firm of Joseph, McDermott and Reiner, to represent him. In
a written statement, Sheaffer claimed that he prepared for the flight properly
by checking weather and temporary flight restrictions and conducted a thorough
preflight.

"In an effort to be extra careful, and wishing to avoid the restricted area of
Camp David during our flight, we over compensated by taking a more than
anticipated southerly route, which consequently caused us to infringe upon the
Washington, D.C., restricted zones," said part of the statement.

The emergency revocation represents the most severe penalty the FAA can levy on
a pilot. "This action we're taking reflects the seriousness of the incident,"
FAA spokesman Greg Martin told AOPA in an interview Monday.

The charges represent the culmination of an FAA investigation that included its
own interviews as well as information from other law enforcement agencies.
Martin and Sheaffer were questioned immediately after the May 11 incident.
Martin was re-interviewed late last week.

The FAA listed Sheaffer's actions by each regulation he violated:

* FAR 61.57(a). Acted as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying a
passenger without having made at least three takeoffs and three landings within
the preceding 90 days.
* FAR 91.103. As pilot in command, failed to familiarize himself with all
available information concerning that flight.
* FAR 91.13(a). Operated an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as
to endanger the life or property of another.
* FAR 91.131(a)(1). Operated an aircraft within Class B airspace without
receiving an ATC clearance or establishing and maintaining two-way radio
communication with the ATC facility controlling that airspace.
* FARs 73.83 and 91.133(a). Entered a prohibited area without having the
permission of the using or controlling agency to do so.
* FAR 91.139(c). Operated an aircraft within the designated airspace
defined by an issued notam without complying with the authorizations, terms, and
conditions prescribed in the regulation covered by the notam.
* FAR 99.7. Operated the aircraft in an air defense identification zone
(ADIZ) without complying with special security instructions issued by the
administrator in the interest of national security and that are consistent with
appropriate agreements between the FAA and the Department of Defense.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 24th 05, 05:36 AM
George Patterson

Paul kgyy wrote:
What in the #(*$%& is a customs jet going to do to protect our national
government against a C150?

They were just practicing. Customs is working to try to take over enforcement of
the ADIZ from the FAA. Representative Mark Souder of Indiana tried to add an
ammendment to the HS bill to give them control over it.

Old May 24th 05, 05:45 AM
George Patterson

gatt wrote:

HOW do you as a safe, qualified pilot fly over Washington DC and not know
it's Washington DC? Are there any pilots in these forums that DON'T know
it's restricted airspace?

Actually, I've flown over that area many times cutting under the Dulles class-B
in happier days. There's not much there that's distinctive if you don't know the
area. A fair number of little lakes that all look alike. Then an increasing
number of houses, but by then, you'd be inside the ADIZ. I must say, however,
that I would've turned around many miles before they did. The beltway is really
unmistakeable, and, of course, you've got lots of famous landmarks a bit further on.

In short, coming from that direction, it would be real easy to bust the ADIZ
without knowing it, but *extremely* hard to get as far as they did without
knowing you're over D.C..

Old May 24th 05, 05:46 AM
George Patterson

Dean Wilkinson wrote:

I think it was warranted. If an instructor shows such poor judgement as to
violate a highly publicised ADIZ through lack of adequate flight planning
and usage of advanced navigation equipment (hell, even VOR would do the
trick), he needs to be given remedial instruction.

I don't know of any instructors who have done this.

Old May 24th 05, 05:47 AM
George Patterson

Actually, it sounds like absolute and total bull**** to me.

Old May 24th 05, 05:48 AM
George Patterson

Dave S wrote:
keep in mind this is an "Emergency Revocation".

The pilot involved still is entitled to his due process, and the action
MAY (we are talking hypothetically, here) be overturned at the
completion of that due process.

If he's really stupid enough to appeal it all the way to the NTSB, I'd bet they
make the revocation permanent.

Old May 24th 05, 05:50 AM
George Patterson

Carl Orton wrote:
Heard on local DFW radio that he couldn't have carried the student anyway -
he had not logged the required takeoffs & landings in the previous 90 days!!

According to APOA, he's charged with that violation.

Old May 24th 05, 05:50 AM
Mike Granby

Sheaffer has hired an attorney, Mark T. McDermott, a principal
in the Washington, D.C., law firm of Joseph, McDermott and
Reiner, to represent him. In a written statement, Sheaffer claimed
that he prepared for the flight properly by checking weather and
temporary flight restrictions and conducted a thorough preflight.

Great. So not only has he screw himself re his ticket, he's now about
to **** all his money away on high-price attornies and a useless fight.