R.I.P. Gordon Baxter

Old June 16th 05, 03:03 AM
john smith

Bob Fry wrote:
Len Morgan passed away in March. Another great pilot and writer lost,
and I'm not seeing their replacements....

I have to disagree, Bob.
I used to ask that question back in the 1980's when those guys were all
in their 60's and 70's.
I think Lane is a very good/great replacement for Bax.
Bax had a great sense of humor in his writing that I have not yet seen
in Lane's articles.
She is not Bax, but she covers the same beat as Bax did (human
interest,people, places,etc).
Old June 16th 05, 03:05 AM
Tony

Would you consider Ernest Gann in that group?

Old June 16th 05, 04:10 AM
Peter Duniho

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
I think Lane is a very good/great replacement for Bax.

If you mean she fills the same space in the magazine, yes.

Bax had a great sense of humor in his writing that I have not yet seen in
Lane's articles.

Clearly you agree that Lane is not the equal of Bax.

She is not Bax, but she covers the same beat as Bax did (human
interest,people, places,etc).

Covering the same beat isn't the same as filling one's shoes.

Pete

Old June 16th 05, 05:08 AM
RST Engineering

In 1994, this hotshot young writer was invited to an "aviation author's"
party at the Flying house at Oshkosh. Figuring I'd go and wipe up the
opposition, I sat around humbled in the living room listening to Bax deliver
wave after wave of advice to those of us who couldn't hold a candle to him.

Talk about one of a kind...he could bring you from tears to howling laughter
within the space of a minute.

If I can, in any way, bring one PERCENT of how you brought aviation to us
all, I will have honored your memory in the fullest, sir.

In the immortal words of CapCom during the first launch, "God SPEED, Gordon
Baxter, God SPEED."

Jim

Old June 16th 05, 07:28 AM
Jay Beckman

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"john smith" wrote in message
. ..
I think Lane is a very good/great replacement for Bax.

If you mean she fills the same space in the magazine, yes.

Bax had a great sense of humor in his writing that I have not yet seen in
Lane's articles.

Clearly you agree that Lane is not the equal of Bax.

She is not Bax, but she covers the same beat as Bax did (human
interest,people, places,etc).

Covering the same beat isn't the same as filling one's shoes.

Pete

Pete,

I don't think anyone is saying she is expected to fill anyone's shoes.

Her "charge" is to write about flying in a way that is the polar opposite of
say, Peter Garrison.

While Garrison writes from a numbers perspective, Lane Wallace writes from a
more personal, emotional place and in doing so, she is more akin to Gordon
Baxter's style as regards the "romance" of flight. Bax, however, had the
advantage of knowing some of the giants of aviation and had a few more years
worth of experiences to draw from.

Ms. Wallace will never replace Gordon Baxter, but I don't want her to. For
many years, I read how Bax felt about flying and it helped "set the hook" on
my wanting to become a pilot. Now, Lane Wallace is doing a great job at
keeping the hook firmly set.

Times change and people change, but the focus has (IMO) remained constant:
reinforce to the reader why flying is wonderful and pilots are special
people. Bax did it his way and Lane is doing a fine job of it too.

Regards,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old June 16th 05, 08:18 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
I don't think anyone is saying she is expected to fill anyone's shoes.

Sure seems like that, in context of my original statements. Why bother
replying otherwise? I said Bax was a unique writer, unlikely to be matched
for a long time, if ever. Then someone ELSE brought up Lane Wallace's name.

How did her name get into this thread at all, if not as a suggestion of
someone who could match Bax's ability?

[...] Bax, however, had the advantage of knowing some of the giants of
aviation and had a few more years worth of experiences to draw from.

Bax had a way with words that both predated, and did not depend on, his
personal contacts and advanced years.

There are lots of qualified writers, in aviation and elsewhere. No one is
saying that Lane Wallace isn't one of them. However, one can count on one
hand, with fingers left over, the number who are in the same class with Bax.
That was the sole point of my post.

Lane Wallace is not one of those in the same class with Bax, but my original
post never even mentioned her, not was it the point to call out all the
aviation writers who do NOT meet the bar Bax set long ago. Still, in the
context of my post, whether or not she is qualified to meet the standards of
Flying Magazine's editorial content is irrelevant, and has not been
questioned in any case.

I suppose it's just the nature of Usenet that a post praising someone
recently deceased could degenerate into defensiveness and argumentiveness.
But frankly, I think it's pretty dumb for that to have happened. What is it
about Usenet that my comments could not have simply be left to stand as they
were?

Pete

Old June 16th 05, 02:23 PM
Dave Butler

john smith wrote:
Maule Driver wrote:

Indeed, may he rest in peace. He has been missed here for some time
and he'll never be forgotten by this pilot and avid reader of his
Flying column.
I will be pulling out a random selection of Flying mags this evening
and refreshing the memories.

Good idea.

IMO... the most moving piece Bax wrote was the one explaining his
decision to give up flying solo.

Yep, I remember that one. You guys have expressed your appreciation for Bax so
eloquently that you leave me with nothing except: me too. He is missed.
Old June 16th 05, 02:28 PM
tom418

I would. Along with Robert Parke, and Archie Trammel
"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would you consider Ernest Gann in that group?

Old June 16th 05, 03:31 PM
jmk

Just a note... Weekend Pilot was one of Smith's first. His last
"Weekend Wings" is still the best, and the one I always recommend to
folks wanting ot know what GA is all about.

BTW, I agree completely about reading Baxter's article about giving up
flying solo... You could just feel the pain in the story.

Old June 16th 05, 05:07 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave S" wrote in message
ink.net...
I came across his obituary today while reading the Houston Chronicle at
breakfast. For those who knew of him, his health had been poor for many
years, and his passing was inevitable. His columns were a regular read
when I subscribed to Flying in the early 80's

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3225894

OBITUARIES
Baxter, 81, radio host, columnist
By LYNWOOD ABRAM
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Gordon "Bax" Baxter, radio personality, newspaper columnist, pilot and
writer whose unorthodox views and madcap style often got him fired, died
of respiratory problems Saturday in a Beaumont hospital. He was 81.

In a 50-year career, Baxter bounced from station to station in Southeast
Texas, but his fans seldom deserted him......

When Bax left, they broke the mould. Many will try to emulate him, but none
will succeed.

The world is a lesser place without him.

Matt
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

A request from Gordon .... Dave Kearton Naval Aviation 13 September 1st 05 05:23 AM
Ping Gordon Jim Morris Naval Aviation 0 May 23rd 04 07:05 PM
Looking For Gordon Boettger P.Naton Soaring 0 February 29th 04 01:08 AM
Please read - virus alert (posted by Gordon) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 0 January 28th 04 11:33 PM
Ping Gordon: Jagdgruppe 50 question Guy Alcala Military Aviation 2 August 9th 03 09:10 PM