Has anyone played with th e Airmap 1000

Old December 9th 03, 04:58 AM
R. Hubbell

Default Has anyone played with th e Airmap 1000

I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has had any
hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or even
second or third.

R. Hubbell
Old December 9th 03, 03:13 PM
Kevin McCue

They haven't been released yet. Hope to have one sometime next wk.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old December 9th 03, 08:58 PM
hlongworth

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message news:nDcBb.29269$ZE1.3393@fed1read04...
I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has had any....

I saw the Airmap 1000 on display at AOPA Expo last month. Did not
have the time to play with it. When asked why the Airmap 1000 display
being much dimmer than that of the Airmap 500, Lowrance rep said it
was a prototype unit and the production unit should be as bright as
the 500. Functionwise, he said that it worked the same as the 500.
Sizewise, of course it is much bigger (5" vs. 3"). Looked like a great
alternative to the Garmin 196 (3.8" diagonal).
Old December 9th 03, 11:38 PM
Jerald Malin

I played with it at the AOPA Expo. I loved their HSI screen. It will give
the Garmin 196 panel screen a run for its money. It is much more detailed
than the HSI screen on the 500.

The screen was dim, as (they claimed) it did not have the back light in yet.
Supposedly, it will have a similar back light as the 500, which is very
bright and visible.

It is much bigger than my 300. But on the other hand, I won't have to squint
at the display to see it.

The reviews on the Airmap 500 were very positive, and the 1000 is supposed
to be the same thing but bigger screen. The 500 wont have as detailed an HSI
screen as the 1000 due to screen size.

The yoke mount is significantly beefier than my 300. The external antenna is
active, giving significantly better sensitivity, and the WAAS is also
active, giving much better accuracy. I understand the manual is much more
understandable.

I am waiting for them to hit the street, and I will probably upgrade. I do
like the non-propriatory memory card, and the fact that they supply
everything, CD's, mount, etc, everything BUT the wall wort for power inside.
Updates will be over the internet for $35. That beats the $75 and send back
the chip.

They still have runway extensions, and obstructions which seem to be missing
on the Garmin units.

My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
one, and they will announce a color screen.

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

Old December 9th 03, 11:50 PM
Jay Honeck

My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
one, and they will announce a color screen.

Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
GPS -- at OSH '99!

Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 03, 12:29 AM
Jerald Malin

Jay:

You are correct, the AvMap is truly awesome. But I found it too big to suite
me. I fondled it at the Expo also. I got drool all over it.

I don't think it will fit on my yoke real well, and I can't really strap it
to my leg and still scribble down clearances. I do like that color display
though. It is gangbusters.

You are right about Lowrance, they never were particularly on time with
their promised goodies.

I am putting color LCD displays in IR Thermal Imaging cameras at work. They
run less than $60 in small quantities. I sure don't understand why they are
not more common. TFT LCD Technology is pretty common. I can't wait for the
OLED technology to come out with larger displays. They are awesome.

Now if somebody can come up with a 5" diag color GPS mounted on your yoke in
landscape mode, that would be the ticket.

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

Old December 10th 03, 02:25 AM
R. Hubbell

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:38:56 GMT "Jerald Malin" wrote:

[...]

Color would be nice but I can live without if it's big enough, this looks
big enough. What are your impressions of the interface? Is it intuitive?
Is there a logical flow to get to menus, etc.? The price is very
competitive too.

R. Hubbell

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

Old December 10th 03, 02:37 AM
R. Hubbell

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:50:28 GMT "Jay Honeck" wrote:

My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
one, and they will announce a color screen.

Unlikely. Lowrance told me they were "just about" to introduce a color
GPS -- at OSH '99!

Not a good sign.

Want color? Get the AvMap... http://www.avmap.it/ It's awesome!

These are really big and a bit more $$ but they look nice.
The Airmap is going to be around $799 and that'd be a lot easier on the
wallet.

R. Hubbell

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 03, 02:39 AM
R. Hubbell

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:38:56 GMT "Jerald Malin" wrote:

I played with it at the AOPA Expo. I loved their HSI screen. It will give
the Garmin 196 panel screen a run for its money. It is much more detailed
than the HSI screen on the 500.

BTW here's a shot of the HSI:

http://www.lowrance.com/images/Produ...00/HSISCRN.jpg

Old December 10th 03, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

You are correct, the AvMap is truly awesome. But I found it too big to
suite
me. I fondled it at the Expo also. I got drool all over it.

I don't think it will fit on my yoke real well

Here is a picture of my AvMap mounted on my yoke:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V3EF424C6

As you can see, it fits perfectly, and does not block any of the "Sacred
Six" instruments. I believe the yoke in my Pathfinder is the same as yours,
no?

I wouldn't wear it on my knee because of the heat it generates, and because
of the unnatural feeling of having to look down at my knees for critical
information. (Same reason I discarded my knee-board years ago.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Jerald Malin" wrote in message