Wings - how does it work?

Old August 14th 04, 12:27 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

Default Wings - how does it work?

I just completed the ASF's online Runway Incursion presentation, and also
read the information they have about the Wings program at this link:
http://flash.aopa.org/asf/runwaySafe...gs_program.cfm

After reading it through, it sounds as though I've fulfilled paragraph 7,
section h requirements for attendance at a Safety Meeting, and just need the
certificate that I printed out when I completed the ASF presentation. In
order to fulfill the 1 hour flight requirement for paragraph a, do I just
need to go to a flight instructor and request one of the types of training
detailed in a(1), a(2), or a(3), and then get an endorsement? And once I've
done that, I need to present the endorsement and certificate to the Safety
Program Manager at the local FSDO?

Just want to be sure how the program works... Also curious if it is possible
to just mail the required documentation to the FSDO?

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old August 14th 04, 01:47 AM
Bill J

The flight training is a(1), a(2) **and** a(3). The rest of the
procedure you have right. Be sure to tell your insurance company,
usually get a discount for wings each year.

Old August 14th 04, 03:33 PM
Teacherjh

to fulfill the 1 hour [Wings] flight requirement for paragraph a, do I just
need to go to a flight instructor and request one of the types of training
detailed in a(1), a(2), or a(3), and then get an endorsement? And once I've
done that, I need to present the endorsement and certificate to the Safety
Program Manager at the local FSDO?

The flight training is a(1), a(2) **and** a(3). The rest of the
procedure you have right. Be sure to tell your insurance company,
usually get a discount for wings each year.

You can do the training in three separate flights if you like, with three
different instructors, at three different times. Once all the flight training
(and endorsements) are done, you can present the endorsements and certificates
to the FSDO.

Jose

Old August 14th 04, 10:07 PM
Robert M. Gary

I had a DE tell me that she's recommending CFIs do Wings rather than
BFRs because of the difference in liability. For Wings, there is
nothing specific for the CFI to sign, you just log the number of hours
training required. I've yet to actual provide instruction specificlly
for the Wings program though.

-Robert, CFI

Old August 15th 04, 12:41 AM
Andrew Gideon

Guy Elden Jr. wrote:

After reading it through, it sounds as though I've fulfilled paragraph 7,
section h requirements for attendance at a Safety Meeting, and just need
the certificate that I printed out when I completed the ASF presentation.
In order to fulfill the 1 hour flight requirement for paragraph a, do I
just need to go to a flight instructor and request one of the types of
training
detailed in a(1), a(2), or a(3), and then get an endorsement? And once
I've done that, I need to present the endorsement and certificate to the
Safety Program Manager at the local FSDO?

At most presentations that satisfy a part of the WINGS program, you can pick
up a little card. This has spaces for completion of the three required
(not alternative) training "sessions". Get these completed (by one or
three instructors), and send it to the FSDO. They send back a letter and
form that make me think that far too few people are doing this.

I'm not sure what one would do w/o the card, but perhaps the FAA web site
has a form for this somewhere.

BTW, when I last asked about this there was some debate if the fourth hour
was required for non-seaplane non-IFR pilots. I don't recall (1) whether
you're IFR rated or (2) where TEB's FSDO stands in this.

- Andrew

Old August 15th 04, 03:22 PM
Guy Elden Jr.

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
At most presentations that satisfy a part of the WINGS program, you can

pick
up a little card. This has spaces for completion of the three required
(not alternative) training "sessions". Get these completed (by one or
three instructors), and send it to the FSDO. They send back a letter and
form that make me think that far too few people are doing this.

I'm not sure what one would do w/o the card, but perhaps the FAA web site
has a form for this somewhere.

BTW, when I last asked about this there was some debate if the fourth hour
was required for non-seaplane non-IFR pilots. I don't recall (1) whether
you're IFR rated or (2) where TEB's FSDO stands in this.

I am IFR rated, but definitely don't mind additional training. I've wanted
to participate in Wings for a while now, and have done two of the ASF online
presentations. I wasn't able to find any specific information on the program
though until I saw the link at the end of the second presentation, which is
basically a reprint of the advisory circular. I'll try to dig around on the
FAA web site and see if I can find a form to use for the endorsements. If
that doesn't work, I'll give the FSDO a call and see if they can help. (I'd
rather mail the documentation in, and the only way that would work is if the
instructor(s) don't endorse my logbook... no way I'm mailing _that_ in! :-)

Thanks for the clarifications from everyone... 3 hours covering PPL and
Instrument basic skills sounds like a good substitute for a BFR to me!

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old August 18th 04, 09:20 PM
David Kazdan