A question only a newbie would ask

Old August 16th 04, 02:17 PM
Richard Russell

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:03:05 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We have bike racks on all of our buses here in the Tampa Bay Area.
I use them frequently, and despite the Mercedes Diesel parked in my
carport, I consider my bicycle my main means of transportation
within Tarpon Springs and Pinellas County.

That's wonderful, Bob. I'm glad they're being used *somewhere*...

Hell, I hope that when I'm 68 I can still walk upstairs, let alone ride a
bike 68 miles!

Our bus drivers never touch the bikes, one
must view a 10-15 minute training video, pay for a photo ID card, and
display it to the bus driver each time that the bike rack is used.

Wow. I can just imagine the bureaucracy that's been set up to administer
THAT little program. Who's paying those folks' salaries?

I doubt it's the bicyclists. (Or do you pay an extra fare for your bike?)

What comments do you have about the mandatory wheelchair lifts that we
also have on all of our busses?

We have them, too, and I find them to be completely absurd. They cost
taxpayers enough so that we quite literally could have purchased a special
handicapped-accessible van, and staffed it with a full-time driver -- and
STILL been money ahead.

Best of all, were a special van purchased we wouldn't be inconveniencing and
delaying those few who DO use mass-transit. How many quit riding the bus
because of these kinds of delays? More than will admit it, I suspect.

I have found that as I age, I become
much more considerate and understanding of the needs of others.

I have found that as I age I become less and less tolerant of people
demanding "rights" that simply don't exist.

I have taken bikes on buses and I fly. I would venture a guess that
most of the general population would consider my "rights" as a pilot
and the associated tax burden to be significantly more of an issue
than taking bikes on public transportation. As pilots, I think it may
be wise to avoid making this a major issue
Rich Russell

Old August 16th 04, 02:22 PM
Ron Natalie

"Bob Moore" wrote in message

I think that the Disabled American Veterans using their wheelchairs on
our public transportation systems to get to the VA hospital have earned
that "right".

And the extra cost is primarily that they didn't originally use a universal design
to begin with. When you plan these things properly to begin with, not only
is the cost difference in the noise, but you also find that all sorts of people who
aren't so visibly impaired benefit.

Old August 16th 04, 02:42 PM
C J Campbell

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"lowflyer" wrote in message
om...

Seemed pretty clear, but you seem to think I missed something.

I'll take that as a "No."

Then by your definition no one is "independent."

Old August 16th 04, 02:55 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"lowflyer" wrote in message
om...

Seemed pretty clear, but you seem to think I missed something.

I'll take that as a "No."

Then by your definition no one is "independent."

Odd, I don't recall providing a definition.

Old August 16th 04, 04:31 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:33:22 GMT, Bob Moore
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote
Ten years ago Joyce and I flew to Florida. We took our road bikes. One
look at the roads and we decided we were not going to ride in that
state. There were no shoulders and no provisions for riding bikes and
with the elderly drivers and narrow roads you needed a death wish to
take a short ride.

No longer true, state law now requires bike shoulders on all new
road construction and sidewalks anywhere near populated areas.

I believe I said in the next sentence that both Texas and Florida are
now prime examples of what can be done, or something to that effect,
or at least that was my intent. It's possible I didn't say what I
thought although Joyce tells me that happens more and more. Course
the posting time might have something to do with that. :-))

That post has not shown up on my server yet although several answers
have.

At any rate the two states have gone from bad examples to a couple of
the best examples.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Bob Moore

Old August 16th 04, 04:49 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:04:35 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Mistake number one. Almost any serious bicyclist is not going to let
some buss driver with or without training load their bicycle. You
don't play around with bikes of this class just like you don't walk up
and pick up some musicians axe. (Guitar)

I don't think they want individual riders standing in the street, in front
of an idling bus, fiddling with a bike rack that may already contain one (or
more) other bikes.

In this regard, I agree with them. The liability insurance issue here
would be even worse than it already is.

That's why as in Florida the racks are simple and the rider puts their
bike on it, not the driver. It sounds like they are a bit too
complicated.

Joyce is an avid bicyclist. I just ride a lot, but I don't think we'd
fit the description of greens although all my monitors are listed as
"green"(enviro friendly). :-))

Old August 16th 04, 05:06 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:17:46 -0400, Richard Russell
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:03:05 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

snip
I have taken bikes on buses and I fly. I would venture a guess that

Joyce has taken her bike to New Zealand twice. She has a "bike
suitcase". It has gone there and back twice now with no extra charge.

most of the general population would consider my "rights" as a pilot
and the associated tax burden to be significantly more of an issue
than taking bikes on public transportation. As pilots, I think it may
be wise to avoid making this a major issue

Amen!

Old August 16th 04, 05:27 PM
Adam K.

I have found that as I age I become less and less tolerant of people
demanding "rights" that simply don't exist.

This sounds to me like it could lead to an asocial bitter and unhappy
adulthood. Try this, the next time you see someone exhibiting this
behavior you speak of, go right up to them and give them a BIG hug!
Let me know how it works out. I care.

AK

Old August 17th 04, 11:44 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Adam K." wrote in message
m...
I have found that as I age I become less and less tolerant of people
demanding "rights" that simply don't exist.

This sounds to me like it could lead to an asocial bitter and unhappy
adulthood. Try this, the next time you see someone exhibiting this
behavior you speak of, go right up to them and give them a BIG hug!
Let me know how it works out. I care.

Do they allow internet access in asylums?

Paul