Staying current/proficient

Old February 12th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

Default Staying current/proficient

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message

Several things:
1) file and fly in the system every time you go cross country, even if the
weather is severe clear VMC. Staying in the system keeps you practiced
with the procedures and keeps you sharp on maintaining altitude and
heading, as well as with the radios.

User fees will change how much of that gets done.

Old February 12th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

2) Always fly the instrument approach when you arrive at your
destination, regardless of the weather (since you're IFR, your request
for an instrument approach into your destination can't be turned down as
long as it is for the approach officially in use). Just don't bury your
head in the cockpit. I find it is actually harder to fly a good
approach in VMC than in IMC because of the division of your attention
between the panel and outside. By flying the approach, you stay sharp
on all aspects of doing an approach except actually being in IMC. You
also develop a better feel for where you are relative to the ground and
the airport this way.

Again, good advice, but don't assume ATC will automatically issue you
an instrument approach because you are IFR. If it is VMC, they will
assume you want a visual approach unless you ask for it.

Correct, you will often have to ask for it. They can't turn you down
for an instrument approach (but they might put you in a hold or on
vectors to scorched scrotum and back if it disrupts their plans)

3) Fly with an instructor and do an IPC every 6 months. Having an extra
set of eyes evaluate your performance gives you an opportunity to
correct bad habits before they become ingrained. It also shows the
insurance company that you are committed to doing regular recurrent
training, which may give you a break on your insurance, plus you'll get
an opportunity to practice stuff that doesn't come up in day to day
flying like holds, unusual attitudes and partial panel (all of which are
required parts of an IPC). If you are already reasonably proficient
(and you will be if you follow all 3 of these recommendations and fly
reasonably frequently), the IPC should take no more than an 2 hours of
instruction time...just enough time to do a few approaches, a hold and
unusual attitude.

Good advice again, but I am not sure how the insurance company finds
out about your IPC. I was never asked about IPC, just whether I am
current or not.

That's easy, I tell them. One time, the insurance company had asked me
aobut recurrent training and I sent a list of all the instructional
flights I had done. They responded with a request to send along any
additional recurrent training as I did it.