Big John Bites Dicks (Security Clearance)

Old August 8th 03, 03:38 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:50:07 GMT, "Michael Pilla"
wrote:

Twenty years ago, we couldn't bring calculators with memories into the work
areas (I once had a security officer pick up a calculator I was using and
ask, "Is that a classified number?"). Today, most engineering and
management types are wedded to their PDAs, and the security guys either
have to allow them in or cripple the true work.

Security level must have been low if PDAs were allowed in/out without
checking/vetting several steps along the way.

There are generally three phases of security:

1. "Never heard of them"
2. "Oh my God, no! Keep them out of here!"
3. "Well, all right, but....."

I've seen this process happen on several types of new technology. Soon
after they reluctantly agreed that you could bring in calculators with
memory, someone showed up with a TI-59 with the magnetic-card read/write
capability.

As far as the PDAs were concerned, initially they were looked on as nothing
more than the electronic equivalents of paper notepads or upgraded versions
of multifunction calculators. Then some bright spark realized that many of
them had wireless transmission capability (e.g., "beaming") and the
knee-jerk happened. Eventually, they're to the point where they approve
them on an individual model-by-model basis depending upon the capability of
the unit, and upon a manager's signoff that the unit is vital to work
performance. So when you see PDAs, they have big ugly "Security Approved"
stickers on them.

I've always been fascinated with the differences in security levels between
government agencies, and between those agencies and the contractors that do
the work for them. In the past, I've had to undergo routine exit searches
on mildly sensitive programs, and while on another program we were sealed
in a metal TEMPEST enclosure to do our work, while our customer had
ordinary offices with windows that opened. I still am appalled at how easy
it was for Wen Ho Lee....

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 8th 03, 06:05 PM

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:50:54 -0500, Big John
wrote:

When stationed in Canal Zone, I and a couple of my friends bought a
brass mine high in the Andes in Peru.

I ended up the managing partner.

If you have a serious interest in a long term investment let me know.

Big John

My mettalurgy might be a bit rusty but I thought Brass was a
combination of copper and tin....

Boy that mine must really be valuable then....;-]

Old August 10th 03, 02:43 PM
pac plyer

So much for my unmoderated newsgroup argument. This one's just to get
"Festus" the troll off the board. Time to let this thread die I
think.

pac
Old August 17th 03, 04:20 PM
Badwater Bill

ust my observation from lurking here since 95'

Likewise. I remember Bill Phillips first posts with the OMABP,
and some other sterling and entertaining posts. But that was
then, this is now.

Pac plyer, sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you're
either hopelessly naive or uninformed about some matters (and
I don't mean minutia of who sad what when on USENET).

I don't mean to insult you, but it's like you're the USENET
equivalent of a case study from that 'ol pop-psy book "Women
who love too much: when you keep wishing and hoping he'll
change".

A friend's neighbor has a pot-bellied pig. 5 years ago it was
funny and entertaining and more-or-less fit to come in the
living room. Now it's a big stanky porker which smushes the
veggies and tears up the flower beds every time it gets loose,
and it's just not going to be able to revert to anything else
no matter how much they wish it would.

Yeah, Sydney, it's pigs like you that dog people around and make
posting here a chore.

You've never said anything I've seen here that contributed to the
field of aviation. All you have ever done is bitch about what I've
posted, or the quality of some CFI that gave your husband a BFR. This
post of yours here is typical. Nothing to do with flying, just taking
shots at someone else and trying to couch it in civil drivel.

All I've ever seen here that's come from your computer are complaints,
not solutions, to GA problems. I consider you a whiner with a
negative attitude and a know nothing.

What post have you EVER made that had anything positive to say about
aviation? I missed it. I think you are the utlimate gossip and you
are always negative.

In the early days of posting here I had thick skin to low-time
know-it-all pilots like you. My thick skin has been eaten away by all
the dweebs (like you) who have never flown much but who all have big
opinions about everything they know nothing about.

You lead the pack in my opinion.

Have a nice day moron.

BWB

Cheers,
Sydney

Old August 18th 03, 02:07 PM
Snowbird

(Stella"Star o' t'West") wrote in message ...
Badwater Bill sez:
Yeah, Sydney, it's pigs like you that dog people around and make
posting here a chore.

Hey, why does Sydney get all the venom?

Stella,

I don't care about the venom myself. When I'm using a news source
w/out killfiles, I'm able to ignore anything I don't choose to read.
Anyone who knows us knows what we do at the airport, anyone who
doesn't know us can speculate as they please, they just look
kinda silly in my opinion.

But what I do notice is the apparent "double standard."

When anyone else complains about something another person posts
the response is loud and immediate: THEN DON'T READ IT!!! Use
a killfile, ignore it, what-have-you. The "Group Think" (from
at least part of the group) seems to be that using the group
as a vehicle for persistant, prolonged personal vendettas and
attacks is acceptable "social norm" because if knowledgeable
people really want to stay around they'll just killfile or
ignore what they don't want to read. I disagree, but O.K., that's
the theory.

Mr. Phillips, on the other hand, is apparently such a shy and
delicate flower that his intestinal equilibrium is disturbed
by the mere knowledge that something he doesn't like is being
posted. The mere existance of such posts (which he could killfile,
or ignore, as his cronies advise others to do) "makes posting a
chore" and totally CONTROLS HIS BEHAVIOR, making it impossible
for HIM to write interesting and topical aviation posts.

Hello? Are killfiles (or simply exercise of self-restraint)
too difficult for our resident self-proclaimed genius to master?

Isn't there a contradiction (and a double standard) here?

Speaking of know-it-alls who are always negative.... Pot. Kettle.

Indeed. I find "PAC plyer"s apparent conviction that Bill will
spontaneously recover from 4 years of spewing off-topic personal
attacks and venom and once more contribute entertaining and fascinating
posts "Precious And Charming", but the evidence appears to indicate
to the contrary. Like I said, I'd be happy to be mistaken.

All the best,
Sydney
Old August 18th 03, 02:52 PM
Badwater Bill

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

You could be in Pheonix or Tuscon, but the beam you're in covers Las Vegas. It
doesn't cover most of California. Google says no one named either mturner or pac
plyer ever posted in alt.dis or alt.dis.information.

Only Bill would ever suggest that Sydney should appologize to Bill.

BBWWAHAHHAHHAAAAAA

That is funny.

Hey Pac. Are you at Sandy? If so, give old Paul Muskat a big sloppy
wet kiss on the lips from Badwater Bill and tell him to kiss my entire
ass.

Bridget is too good for that old coot!

In fact, come to think of it, you might be Paul. Be careful about
telling these assholes anything of any substance. The comment about
your hangar is not real good. Many of these *******s will make you
their hobby and report you for something like that just for fun. This
crowd is such a fun loving group, when I owned an RV-6 that I parked
outside, they slashed my tires for a couple posts I made.

They are a lovely group of cock suckers, Pac. Watch your six.

BWB

If this weenie responds, would somebody copy his full post in their
response please so I can see it. I'd like to know what the rest of
this worm's comments are. Somebody tell me his name!

Thanks

BWB, whoops, pacplyer

Old August 18th 03, 03:09 PM
Badwater Bill

Hey, why does Sydney get all the venom? Just because she knows what she's
talking about and doesn't like bad tempered rat-*******s with nothing useful to
contribute, she gets the full brunt of your girls-have-cooties attitude.

Because I think she's a ****.

I'd be jealous if you weren't such a slimeball, Bill. You've managed to sour
every place you appear and drive off all your friends.

You are still jealous...and my friends are right here moron. And, I
haven't even started souring things like I might if I get ****ed.

People who've earned the respect and friendship of those who know them don't
like you. Why doesn't that make you go away?

I have so many friends, I need to dispose of some of them. I even
have Auxiliary friends. As far as I'm concerned, I could give a ****
less who responds to my posts.

In fact, why do you find it so necessary to comment, you annoymous
cowardly little faggot prick?

Do a Google search on everything Sydney has posted over the years
then try to distill off any contribution she's ever made to this group
concerning flying or building. If you can find anything that is not
some regurgitation of something someone else has posted, I'll eat my
hat. All I've ever seen her do it set herself up as some kind of
expert commentary-generating bitch who takes shots at the real people
here who do go out and do it everyday.

I doubt that she's even an average pilot from the bull **** she's
posted here over the years. She argues with people who have been
flight instructors for 30 years, or flying the big iron for the same
amount of time as if she were a professional pilot herself. That's
the problem with an open forum like this, even an idiot has the same
priority to post on a subject they know nothing about. But a
professional pilot or mechanic comes in here giving the group real
data and real information and they get trounced by the weekend pilots
like Sydney. The professionals see the bull ****, give up, and leave.
It hurts the entire group.

It's obvious who walks the walk in here. There's a pecking order,
and I think that many, like her, are too dumb to know the difference
between a solo student and an ATP when they post. It's them who are
the noise and pollution of RAH, not me. It's them and the cowards
like you who are annonymous chicken****s who have the big opinions
that can't hold water but hide behind your computer screen in horror
should you be found out.

BWB

Speaking of know-it-alls who are always negative.... Pot. Kettle.

Old August 18th 03, 08:07 PM
pac plyer

(Badwater Bill) wrote
Hey Pac. Are you at Sandy? If so, give old Paul Muskat a big sloppy
wet kiss on the lips from Badwater Bill and tell him to kiss my entire
ass.

Bridget is too good for that old coot!

In fact, come to think of it, you might be Paul. Be careful about
telling these assholes anything of any substance. The comment about
your hangar is not real good. Many of these *******s will make you
their hobby and report you for something like that just for fun. This
crowd is such a fun loving group, when I owned an RV-6 that I parked
outside, they slashed my tires for a couple posts I made.

They are a lovely group of cock suckers, Pac. Watch your six.

BWB

Yeah Bad,

Thanks for the heads up. Don't worry; I made up a lot of that just
for Red Herring effect. I figured as much about the anonymous posters
during the Capt/Dr wars so I didn't post anything until I could find a
really good lawyer. He's an ex-judge and he just doesn't loose cases.
Counter-suit is his forte'.

If any tire-slashers show up at my buildings, they're on a private
farm adjoining midfield the airport with a taxiway easement, so I
generally shoot first and ask questions later. ;-) And, I've been
reported so many times for so many things, my file is already full...
but not to worry... I have pals in the FAA who trained me to fly jets
years ago... they're getting pretty old but as long as they hang in
there I'm covered. I'm waiting for Paul to get back to me. Looking
forward to talking to myself.. I mean... looking forward to talking
with you. ;-)

pacwater, ooops I mean,

Badplyer, ooops...

what the hell .. they're on to us!