Pre-oil before first run?

Old August 19th 03, 11:18 AM
Kevin Horton

Bruce,

Well, now that you know the answer, why not share it with us?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:56:15 +0000, Bruce A. Frank wrote:

Cy,

We are all here to learn...well some of us are. Do you know have the
energy to elaborate as to why? Or do you just enjoy being abrupt?

I do know the answer now because Veeduber went to the trouble to privately
email me and explain the differences between the engine designs. You had a
chance to enlighten others here on RAH. I am sure there would have been
one or two who would have appreciated a more complete answer.

Cy Galley wrote:

In a word NO!
"Bruce A. Frank" wrote in message
The method that I have used on automotive engines is to take an old
distributor shaft with no cam gear on it. Remove the distributor from
the engine block, chuck the old shaft in a 1/2 drill, stick it down
the shaft hole until it engages the oil pump and spin away. I have
been able to develop full oil pressure on new engines that way. Would
a similar concept work on a magneto shaft hole?

--
Kevin Horton
Ottawa
Old August 19th 03, 04:26 PM
Dave Anderson

Bruce that doesn't work because the oil pump on an aircraft engine is
separate from the magneto drive gear. You can't get the aircraft oil pump
turning without turning the crankshaft.

Cy Galley wrote:

In a word NO!
"Bruce A. Frank" wrote in message
The method that I have used on automotive engines is to take an old
distributor shaft with no cam gear on it. Remove the distributor from
the engine block, chuck the old shaft in a 1/2 drill, stick it down

the
shaft hole until it engages the oil pump and spin away. I have been

able
to develop full oil pressure on new engines that way. Would a similar
concept work on a magneto shaft hole?

Dave Hyde wrote:

David O wrote:

Lycoming's service instruction 1241c (still active) addresses the
subject of pre-oiling after overhaul,

Thanks to all - I have the service instruction, I was looking for
other ideas on pressurizing the system. Bought a sprayer today,
if it works I'll use it, if not I'll just cold-crank the engine.

Acro/tailwheel refresher starts tomorrow.

Dave 'one-armed paperhanger' Hyde

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

Old August 19th 03, 04:58 PM
Cy Galley

In the automotive engine the same gear on the cam drives the distributor and
the oil pump. It is so designed that the oil pump is driven by a tang off
the distributor shaft but the gear is on the distributor end. Removing the
distributor, removes the gear drive and also disconnects the oil pump drive.
The oil pump can then be driven by a shaft independently of the cam.
On the other hand the mag is driven by a gear train off the cam and the oil
pump is driven by its own dedicated gear. Removing the mag does not remove
or disconnect the oil pump drive so that it can be driven by a mechanical
source outside the engine.
The configuration for driving the oil pump is completely different. Yes, I
have lost the oil pump drive in an automotive setup and still had proper
ignition. If you lose the distributor drive, then you would also lose your
oil pump. Since the aircraft engine is designed differently with a
different drive of the oil pump, this cannot happen.
You can lose the ignition and still have oil pressure.
But you cannot prime the oil system in an aircraft engine via the mag drive
unless you turn the entire engine. Much easier to turn the prop or starter.

Old August 19th 03, 06:37 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Gee, BOb, I don't "KNOW" I have just received a simple explanation. Some
of the guys here are intimately involved with assembly of aviation
engines. I am not

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

"Bruce A. Frank" wrote:
The method that I have used on automotive engines is to take an old
distributor shaft with no cam gear on it. Remove the distributor from
the engine block, chuck the old shaft in a 1/2 drill, stick it down the
shaft hole until it engages the oil pump and spin away. I have been able
to develop full oil pressure on new engines that way. Would a similar
concept work on a magneto shaft hole?

Cy Galley wrote:

In a word NO!

"Bruce A. Frank" hypocritically? whines:

Cy,

We are all here to learn...well some of us are. Do you know have the

.................................................. ...................................^^^^^
energy to elaborate as to why? Or do you just enjoy being abrupt?

I do know the answer now because Veeduber went to the trouble to
privately email me and explain the differences between the engine
designs. You had a chance to enlighten others here on RAH. I am sure
there would have been one or two who would have appreciated a more
complete answer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sheesh.
And now, you just fumbled the knowledge ball, too,
for those who awaited a more complete answer.
Where is YOUR concern for the anxious masses,
yearning to be 'enlightened' and free of ignorance?.

FWIW....
I would have done the same as Cy with a simple NO,
but that is expected of me... but, not YOU. sniff
I guess the world really is going to hell in a handbasket.

P.S.
No need to tell me why the answer is 'NO'.
I already know.
But, you know that.... NO?

Barnyard BOb -- now, what part of no doesn't anyone understand?

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"
| Publishing interesting material|
| on all aspects of alternative |
| engines and homebuilt aircraft.|
\(-o-)/ AIRCRAFT PROJECTS CO.
\___/ Manufacturing parts & pieces
/ \ for homebuilt aircraft,
0 0 TIG welding

While trying to find the time to finish mine.
Old August 19th 03, 06:42 PM
Bruce A. Frank

Thank you. That was more in-depth than I could have conveyed trying to
restate what Veeduber had told me.