Seaplane Landing Direction ?

Old February 17th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert11

Default Seaplane Landing Direction ?

Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in a
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the second is correct, as this would be a landing into
the wind.

But, this would possibly be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for
sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

Old February 17th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 17, 11:14*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in a
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the second is correct, as this would be a landing into
the wind.

But, this would possibly be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for
sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Few "sea planes" are capable of operating in open sea. Usually we're
flying from lakes. Some guys do fly from salt water but usually in
bays, not open water. I'm sure the old clipper ships probably had no
problem with open sea though.

-Robert

Old February 17th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

If you mean a floatplane, no one is going to land one in open water if he
expects to see home again. Flying boats/hulls, like the SA-16 Albatross, try
to land on the back of a swell and take off parallel to the swells. Not for
amateurs, that's for sure.

Bob Gardner

news

Old February 18th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert11" wrote in message

news
Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this
would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the second is correct, as this would be a landing into
the wind.

But, this would possibly be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for
sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

Similar to the PBY 5 catalina? Just curious as I'm wondering what
the flight conditions would be like in war time...would the envelope
be pushed a bit?
Old February 18th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert11" wrote in message

news
Hi,

Probably a silly questio, but I was wondering about how seaplanes land in
sea with waves running fairly close together ?

e.g., does the pilot try to put down parallel to the wave motion (this
would
be along the trough of the wave) or does he
attempt to go perpendicular to the trough on landing ?

My "guess" is that the second is correct, as this would be a landing into
the wind.

But, this would possibly be analogous to the term "pitch-poling" used for
sailboats
if they are flipped fore and aft by heading directly into a breaking wave.

Any explanations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bob

On third thought. Could you take the engines from an Otter (or hell,
take the otter airframe and adapt it) and mate them to a Catalina? Is
a turbo prop seaplane a bad idea? The Caravan has a float plane
variant...but thats definetly for sheltered waters.

Old February 18th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

wrote in
:

"Robert11" wrote in message

[...]

Wel, I rea an occount of a takeoff of a Catalina in very high seas. they
used jato bottles as well and the account was HAIRY!
Gordon Taylor's autobigraphy...

Bertie

Old February 18th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Google "SA-16" and you will read some interesting stories. Also read AIM
6-3-3. The Coast Guard put them down in rescue situations, which for those
involved is just like wartime...the word in the old Coast Guard was "You
have to go out, you don't have to come back." I had a buddy who got a medal
for fitting a JATO bottle to a UF (CG version of the SA-16) in heavy seas.

Bob Gardner

Old February 18th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Bob Gardner wrote:
Google "SA-16" and you will read some interesting stories. Also read AIM
6-3-3. The Coast Guard put them down in rescue situations, which for those
involved is just like wartime...the word in the old Coast Guard was "You
have to go out, you don't have to come back." I had a buddy who got a medal
for fitting a JATO bottle to a UF (CG version of the SA-16) in heavy seas.

My father flew SA-16s out of Otis AFB on Cape Cod for the 46th Air Rescue
Squadronin the late 50s. In fact, one of my earliest memories as a kid was of
my dad putting a headset on me so I could converse with Mickey Mouse in the
cockpit of my dad's Albatross. It wasn't until much later that I found out that
it was a cooperative crew member at another duty station. But I digress.

If you have any specific questions about the SA-16 I'd be glad to ask him what
he remembers about it. He was flying a lot in those days as he was under some
time constraints to earn his command pilot wings or give up his flying status.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 18th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 18 Feb, 02:48, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in news:4626c3bf-6156-408a-9f99-0a185a86e454
@c33g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

bob

Quite a few Goose's and Mallards have been converted.

Bertie

"Native" turbine flying boat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriev_Be-12

Be-10 was pure jet but appears not to have entered service.
http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/RAM/be-10.html

Seaplane Landing Question Robert11 Naval Aviation 3 February 19th 08 07:48 PM
Seaplane Base 1 - Leaving the Seaplane Base-2.jpg (1/1) john smith[_2_] Aviation Photos 2 August 2nd 07 08:37 AM
Takeoff/Landing same direction? Willie Soaring 24 September 13th 06 04:47 AM
Traffic with direction Dave Products 14 August 10th 05 06:44 AM
Seaplane Rating Add-On and Seaplane Rental Peter Bauer Piloting 10 May 29th 05 11:53 AM