S-H canopy seating

Old January 28th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S-H canopy seating

I'm not sure if my V2C canopy's final fit is correct, and whether this
can be adjusted.

The canopy frame sits very slightly higher than the neighboring fuse
when closed and locked, by 1 - 1.5 mm. I don't know whether this is
within factory tolerance, and if it's not, if there's an adjustment for
it, such as a way to lower the locking pin receivers on the fuselage.

Advance thanks

~ted/2NO

Old January 28th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How hot/cold is it where you are?

My D2cT canopy which fitted perfectly in the summer
is currently standing a little proud at the front and
back in the Scottish winter. The canopy will contract
lengthwise in the cold proportionately more along the
midline than at the lower canopy sides thus pulling
the front and rear canopy rails more vertical (as viewed
from the side) and raising them at the top. I expect
mine to be fine when the weather warms up.

I would simply stick an overlapping piece of mylar
on the canopy frame to smooth the gap meantime.

John Galloway

Old January 29th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Agree with John that there is a big difference in fit with temperature,
and you are seeing extremes. My 28 canopy was binding and hard to open
after baking on the ground in the Arizona sun. I relieved it just just
enough to stop binding but after cold soaking at 9k on a winter flight
there is a large gap front and rear. It also seems to fit high when
cold but flush when warm.

I'd suggest you don't change anything unless the problem is there both
hot and cold.

(temp ranges in Arizona +115 F on ground in summer to well below
freezing at altitude in winter).

Andy

Old January 29th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow. This morning -- when it was nice and nippy -- I pulled the fuse
into the garage and the front and back ends of the canopy frame were
curled up a good 2mm above the fuse. Over the next six hours, when the
temp rose from 40 to 70 degrees thanks to a heater in the garage, that
space got noticably smaller.

Seems like it might be a waste of time trying to seal it, if you can
get it to shut tight at just one temperate range!

~ted/2NO

Canopy Closing Problem [email protected] Soaring 4 October 12th 05 05:52 AM
Seeking canopy covers for V2C [email protected] Soaring 3 September 28th 05 03:51 AM
Duo Discus canopy problems David Starer Soaring 4 June 20th 04 11:09 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
Redundant canopy latching John Soaring 5 March 16th 04 12:50 PM