Fwd: Ralph Parr

Old September 6th 03, 03:52 AM
MLenoch

Default Fwd: Ralph Parr

Although now alone, Ralph
decided to attack them all .

During this attack, didn't Ralph make that famous radio call:"I've got 'em
cornered"? Or something to that effect.
VL
Old September 6th 03, 04:36 AM
Tex Houston

"MLenoch" wrote in message
Although now alone, Ralph
decided to attack them all .

During this attack, didn't Ralph make that famous radio call:"I've got 'em
cornered"? Or something to that effect.
VL

Parr didn't watch the MiG hit the ground. "I didn't have time to gloat - I
had 15 other guys up there." In quick succession, the young Sabre pilot
downed one more MiG and damaged another before the remaining enemy aircraft
split up and headed for home.

Three-war Veteran. The legend of Ralph Parr took root when a debriefing
officer later joked about how the captain had "cornered" an entire squadron
of 16 MiGs that day.

From: http://www.legion.org/korea/recent_articles/tales9p.htm

Tex Houston

Old September 6th 03, 05:19 PM
Gordon

Wow, this is really great writing Mike - any chance you could give a little
credit to the writer? I appreciate the stories you've been posting, but as a
friendly suggestion, you might want to provide your sources. If you're the
writer of the piece, say so - its very well done.

Gordon
Old September 6th 03, 10:45 PM

Mike Marron wrote:

(Gordon) wrote:

Wow, this is really great writing Mike - any chance you could give a little
credit to the writer? I appreciate the stories you've been posting, but as a
friendly suggestion, you might want to provide your sources. If you're the
writer of the piece, say so - its very well done.

I thought it was obvious that these stories were authored by someone
else (in fact, if you look you'll see that some even have attributes).
They've been forwarded to me and I'm simply forwarding them along to
the NG as a favor. I can cease doing so if it's going to be a problem.

-Mike (no good deed goes unpunished) Marron

Jesus Mike, don't be so damned touchy...Gordon was 'most'
polite...I agree with him too, I had to look carefully to see if
you had written them, and I still wasn't really sure. Please take
his remarks in the spirit that they were given. We do appreciate
your passing them on. Good stuff. Thanks.
--

-Gord.
Old September 7th 03, 03:05 AM
Mike Marron

(Gordon) wrote:

Ok, so if some have attributes and some don't, we are to assume that you wrote
neither. Got it.

Normally I write my name under everything I post. None of the
forwarded stories had my name on them. Clearly, the first story
about Marseille was attributed to a USAF officer (Major Tate).
I could be wrong but I think "Stallion 51" (whomever that is) wrote
the story about Bruce Carr. And the following story appeared to
contain excerpts from Joe Foss' autobiography (again, I could be
wrong). It's obvious that Bill Hardy himself wrote the story I
forwarded on 3 Sep and I have no idea who wrote the last story
about Ralph Parr (hence the "FWD" in the subject header).

Never said it was a problem, I gave a small suggestion. Sorry that a
suggestion to you is a problem, but that's on you - I didn't say anything to
suggest it was.

See above. You suggested that I "give a little credit to the writer"
and I explained (twice now) that some of them were indeed
credited to the writer. I belong to a listserve that sends me these
entertaining short storys exactly as you saw them as forwarded
on this here NG. Now, obviously you DO have a "problem" with that
because you're asking for more attribution -- attribution that I have
neither the time nor the desire to provide for you. If that's the
case, then I simply won't forward them to RAM anymore. That's
all I'm saying.

-Mike (take it or leave it, your choice) Marron

Old September 7th 03, 03:10 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Fwd: Ralph Parr
From: Mike Marron OSPAM
Date: 9/6/03 7:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time
(Gordon) wrote:

[...]

Serves you right for trying to be helpful and contributing to the NG. (sheesh)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old September 7th 03, 04:01 AM
Mike Marron

(ArtKramr) wrote:
Mike Marron OSPAM wrote:
(Gordon) wrote:

[...]

Yep. When will I ever learn!

-Mike (no good deed...) Marron

Old September 7th 03, 05:52 AM
Billy Beck

Mike Marron wrote:

I belong to a listserve that sends me these
entertaining short storys exactly as you saw them as forwarded
on this here NG. Now, obviously you DO have a "problem" with that
because you're asking for more attribution -- attribution that I have
neither the time nor the desire to provide for you.

That's not cool, Mike.

You do what you want, but I, for one, would never pass something
like that on without being able to cite it properly. I guess it's
just me and my thing for proper history and scholarship, but it's not
cool.

And I wonder how people could possibly be so lazy and
disrespectful. Anyone who would take the time to come up with stuff
like that -- which deserves the attention -- is just a goddamned
useless slacker for not going the extra two minutes it would take to
*cite* it.

I'd get tossed off that listserv in a heartbeat for telling 'em
so.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php
Old September 7th 03, 03:31 PM
Mike Marron

Billy Beck wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

[...]

It's just an informal goddamn group of fighter pilots communicating
w/each other via email (I was invited to join the group by a friend).
You know, one of those long list of address strings copy and pasted in
the "To" field. It's not even a bona fide Yahoo email group for gawd's
sake!

What, are you going to throw the baby out with the bathwater simply
because they aren't citing *themselves* or their fellow comrades email
messages via proper "proper" MLA style? GMAFB!!

In any event, being a list of some 60 past and present fighter pilots
swapping stories w/each other via email is pretty cool and I've been
enjoying the hell out of their stories myself. And I will continue to
do so...but I damn sure won't share them with "RAM" (misnomer?)
since it seems to have caused such a problem for some.

-Mike (...damndest thing I've seen!) Marron