Schempp-Hirth Dealer flying Schleicher Glider at open nationals?

Old June 24th 15, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Schempp-Hirth Dealer flying Schleicher Glider at open nationals?

Could not help but notice the Schempp-Hirth dealer is flying a Schleicher ASW-22 at the open nationals.
Old June 24th 15, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:27:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Could not help but notice the Schempp-Hirth dealer is flying a Schleicher ASW-22 at the open nationals.

Heinz is a little bigger than "the Schempp Hirth dealer" and the Eta Biter is a little bigger than an "ASW-22".

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old June 24th 15, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I sure wish the work that the team who made the Eta Biter and Concordia translated to a production glider

Amazing work though on these birds. Hell I would even love it if the Quintus was in production. While I do love flying smaller ships there is nothing like an open class bird, they are the most beautiful and man can they go. Noticed that the open speeds at Hobbs were approximately 8 mph faster than the 18 meter birds, and that is I assume in the normal strong conditions of Hobbs.

Old June 25th 15, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Weather hasn't been particularly strong yet at hobbs from what I've read. When it is look for speeds to vary based on wing loading not wing span
Old June 25th 15, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

To the post on the other thread, the Nimbus 3 is still great fun, too, even though outgunned by the super tuned 22s, Concordia, and 21 meter JS-1s. Likely also the Arcus. But, that doesn't stop me from racing mine. Now, if I was just permitted to fly it at the same gross weight as the other 25+ meter span ships (My Nimbus A/W says its gross weight is 1930 lbs. But, i would be happy to fly it at 1875 and not go all the way to my max allowed weight).

Steve Leonard
(stepped up from the 604 to the Nimbus 3)
Old June 27th 15, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Calling Eta-Biter an ASW-22 is kinda like calling a 450hp hotrod "just a model T". While it is true Dick bought a new ASW-22B for some parts to build this glider, Dick built everything aft of the wings (tailcone, fin, stab, retractable tailwheel), and of course the wings are different (structure, airfoil, pilot-controlled blower turbulation, etc).

It's true, the dataplate still says "ASW-22" ;-)

Anyway, its Heinz's reward for helping on Concordia.

From Hobbs,
See ya, Dave "YO"
Old June 27th 15, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I wonder how the Eta Biter, concordia, EB29-28, Quintus, and JS1C compare to one another. What is the best open class glider? Of course right now all you can buy are the EB29 and JS1C. Are these gliders a significant improvement over the ASW-22BL, Nimbus 4? Any polar testing done?

Calling Eta-Biter an ASW-22 is kinda like calling a 450hp hotrod "just a model T". While it is true Dick bought a new ASW-22B for some parts to build this glider, Dick built everything aft of the wings (tailcone, fin, stab, retractable tailwheel), and of course the wings are different (structure, airfoil, pilot-controlled blower turbulation, etc).

It's true, the dataplate still says "ASW-22" ;-)

Anyway, its Heinz's reward for helping on Concordia.

From Hobbs,
See ya, Dave "YO"

Old June 27th 15, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

For those interested in more details, see;
http://soaringcafe.com/2012/02/the-e...lers-asw-22db/

Bob

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 19:34:06 -0700 (PDT), Dave Nadler
wrote:

Calling Eta-Biter an ASW-22 is kinda like calling a 450hp hotrod "just a model T".
While it is true Dick bought a new ASW-22B for some parts to build this glider,
Dick built everything aft of the wings (tailcone, fin, stab, retractable tailwheel),
and of course the wings are different (structure, airfoil, pilot-controlled blower
turbulation, etc).

It's true, the dataplate still says "ASW-22" ;-)

Anyway, its Heinz's reward for helping on Concordia.

From Hobbs,
See ya, Dave "YO"

Old August 7th 15, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:27:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Could not help but notice the Schempp-Hirth dealer is flying a Schleicher ASW-22 at the open nationals.

you just hurt butler's feelings. heinz didn't fly the asw22. he flew the eta biter. big difference.

http://www.slideshare.net/GliderPilo...iter-evolution

Bent up wings on Schempp-Hirth and Jonkers glider Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 16 June 5th 15 12:42 PM
Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20? [email protected] Soaring 14 April 9th 12 01:46 PM
schempp-hirth shk-1 shkdriver Soaring 3 September 5th 08 03:38 AM
Schempp-Hirth Mel Dawson Soaring 0 February 15th 06 04:08 PM
Schempp Hirth or its Representatives... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 11 September 23rd 03 09:28 AM