Goodyear wheels

Old May 17th 05, 03:23 AM
Ernest Christley

Default Goodyear wheels

I bought a set of Goodyear wheels at the Mid-Atlantic Flyin held in
Lumberton, NC last Saturday. They were fairly dirty, but only cost $10
and cleaned up real nice. I elected not to carry home the brake
calipers, they as it would be too hard to make them fit my installation.
Figured someone else could make better use of them.

I've done some research, and the Matco 600 series of triple-piston
calipers look like they will fit right in, with a nice 1/8" clearance
all the way around.

My question is, "How does the brake rotor attach to the wheel in the
Goodyears?" It looks like the rotor float freely on some metal blocks
and held in place by the calipers. Is this correct? Or is there some
way to lock the rotor in place?

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old May 17th 05, 04:53 AM
Henry Q. Bibb

You are correct. The brake rotor on the Goodyear wheels I'm familiar
with floats inside the wheel. It's kept from rotating by the little
metal blocks (keys), and kept centered by some springs that go between
the blocks. The caliper then keeps the disk from sliding in or out
on the axle, since the disk is captured between the two pads.
(Actually, it does slide in response to pad actuation, but the
amount of movement is minute.) Basically, its sort of the reverse
of an automotive floating caliper. In the Goodyear, the caliper is
fixed, and the disk floats.

There are many variations of these wheels and brakes, and the disks,
calipers, little blocks, springs, and retainers are all more or less
unique to the specific version you have.

Never looked at the Matco calipers, so I'm not sure if they will
be easy to adapt or not.

Be advised, some people go livid at the mention of Goodyear brakes,
because in the original application, if the pad wears too thin, it
can slip out of its recess and jam the disk. This results in an
instant locked brake, with no way to release, which can be really
exciting, especially at touchdown in a taildragger. DAMHIKT.
Also, if the spring clips, retainers, and/or metal blocks break or
pop out, you can experience the same thing. Lots of folks have
converted away from Goodyears for that reason. Whether or not
that motivated the company to stop making the things, I don't
know. Properly maintained, it seems a useful system for a light
plane like a Cub, Champ, Luscombe or similar.

Hope it helps,
Henry Bibb

In article ,
says...

Old May 17th 05, 04:50 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Ernest Christley wrote:

I bought a set of Goodyear wheels at the Mid-Atlantic Flyin held in
Lumberton, NC last Saturday. They were fairly dirty, but only cost $10
and cleaned up real nice. I elected not to carry home the brake
calipers, they as it would be too hard to make them fit my installation.
Figured someone else could make better use of them.

I've done some research, and the Matco 600 series of triple-piston
calipers look like they will fit right in, with a nice 1/8" clearance
all the way around.

My question is, "How does the brake rotor attach to the wheel in the
Goodyears?" It looks like the rotor float freely on some metal blocks
and held in place by the calipers. Is this correct? Or is there some
way to lock the rotor in place?

The disk floats inside the wheel, while clips (usually 4) keep them from
floating outside the wheel. Button clips retain the retainer clips.

The problem with Goodyears is that Goodyear has priced the clips outside
all reality (something like $20 per clip for a 2-cent item). The clips
do fail and require frequent replacement.

Old May 19th 05, 12:43 AM

I made those clips from wide steel banding, the stuff used
to strap lumber and plywood together. The price of the clips is insane.
I'd hate to have to buy them for a certified airplane. The buttons can
be replaced with 1/4" NC screws cut real short and the holes in the
wheel tapped to take them.

Dan

Old May 19th 05, 03:47 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 19 May 2005 02:07:52 GMT, Ernest Christley wrote:

wrote:
I made those clips from wide steel banding, the stuff used
to strap lumber and plywood together. The price of the clips is insane.
I'd hate to have to buy them for a certified airplane. The buttons can
be replaced with 1/4" NC screws cut real short and the holes in the
wheel tapped to take them.

Does anyone have pictures or maybe a drawing of what these clips and
buttons look like? There are no clips, and I'm assuming that the
'buttons' are ten or so little blocks placed around the edge that catch
the rotor.

I haven't been able to find much information at all about Goodyear
wheels through Google.

There are really several different types, some with square clips that pop out
completely, others with long riveted-on clips that don't come out. Like you, I
found an old wheel for sale at a fly-in for $5. Brought it home and found none
of the parts matched my OWN Goodyear wheels, the same nominal size. Guy with a
Luscombe across the hangar row had trouble with his Goodyears. I gave him the
wheel I'd bought, but they didn't match *his*, either.

Here's a close-up of my brake disk and clips:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/goody1.JPG

Back when I was trying to find brake pads for less than $200/pair (I ended up
making my own) I was finally referred to a Goodyear wheel expert in Georgia or
the Carolinas. IIRC, I was given the name when I called the non-toll-free
number at Wag-Aero and pestered them for a bit.

You might try searching the archives of the Fly Baby mailing list, although much
of the discussions center on the 8.00x4 wheels.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 20th 05, 03:46 AM
Ernest Christley

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Ron. Cy hooked me up with an excellent parts diagram that
showed my wheels exactly. I have the ones with the little square clips
(but no little square clips). I'm going to try to make the clips as Dan
suggested.