L-13 elevator aft bellcrank question

Old October 4th 10, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward Kornfield

Default L-13 elevator aft bellcrank question

Hi Blanik Friends,

I was reinstalling the aft elevator bellcrank (Blanik calls it a "double
arm lever") in my L-13 after doing some sheet metal work in the tail.
The bellcrank is located at the second to last bulkhead, just ahead of the
leading edge of the horizontal stab. There is an inspection plate just
forward of bellcrank on the port side. When I disconnected it a few
months ago, I just removed the main bolt from the bracket at the bellcrank
bearing and disconnected the lower elevator cable from the two tabs. I
then pushed the entire assembly forward into the aft fuselage.

When I inspected the bellcrank, it appeared to be symmetrical, so that it
is the same front to back. After reinstalling it the way I thought it
should go, (with the nuts and cotterpins facing me), I noticed the paint
marking didn't match at the aft end of the pushrod, so I removed the
bellcrank, turned it 180 degrees and reinstalled it. I then noticed that
when the bellcrank hits the down stop down, it goes farther in one
installation that the other. So much in fact, that I can install the
lower elevator cable bolt in one instance, but not when the bellcrank is
installed reversed (front to back).

What am I not seeing here? I can put it back the way it was, but I want
to make sure it was installed correctly. If you don't know for sure, can
you take a look in the aft inspection hole of a nearby Blanik and see if
the lower elevator cable attach bolt can be removed from the tabs that are
connected to the bellcrank/aft elevator control rod? If the bolt is
hidden, that's how mine was before, but if it's visible, your bellcrank
is installed 180 degrees from mine.

Please give me some feedback when you can. Also, you may forward this on
to anyone who can help.

Old October 4th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I suggest you get a copy of the Blanik techical and ovehaul manuals,
that should have come with the ship, they have the answer to your
question. They are available at BA

At least call Vitek at BA, instead of relying on heresay on this
Board.

aerodyne

Old October 4th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On Oct 4, 10:06*am, wrote:
I suggest you get a copy of the Blanik techical and ovehaul manuals,
that should have come with the ship, they have the answer to your
question. They are available at BA

At least call Vitek at BA, instead of relying on heresay on this
Board.

aerodyne

The type certificate should show the elevator travel in degrees if you
want to make sure you have the correct geometry.

Lane
XF