how illegal am I?

Old November 11th 04, 10:33 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:23:49 -0500, "Icebound"
wrote:

The Canadian *waiver of license requirements* does not apply to Americans;
i.e.: American-registered planes require radio station and operator
licenses.

So all American pilots are in violation when flying in Canada
airspace? Do the Mounties know about this?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 11th 04, 06:58 PM
Peter Duniho

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
So all American pilots are in violation when flying in Canada
airspace?

Many of us have radio station licenses, as well as the necessary operator
license. So no, not all American pilots are in violation when flying in
Canada airspace.

Do the Mounties know about this?

Why are you asking us? Call them up and find out yourself.

Old November 11th 04, 07:51 PM
John Galban

"Gig Giacona" wrote in message ...
"John Galban" wrote in message
om...

According to the laws as they currently stand, they could not ding
the pilot of a U.S. registered plane for not having a station license
while flying in U.S. airspace, as none is required. They also cannot
ding said pilot for flying in Canadian airspace without the license,
as they have no jurisdiction. (Both the above comments assume that
some U.S. agency is attempting to do the dinging)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

That is wrong the international treaty gives the US the jurustiction and
forces it to enforce the treaty on its' citizens.

Interesting. I have to wonder how the U.S. FCC would charge a pilot
for a violation that is not in their regs. My guess is that this
would probably have to be done at a different level, like the federal
courts. Realistically, I don't see it happening for something like
this.

BTW - Every time I've crossed into Canada, not only was I not asked
about a radio station license (which I had), I never even saw a
Canadian Customs officer in person. It was all done over the phone.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old November 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Ron Natalie

John Galban wrote:

Interesting. I have to wonder how the U.S. FCC would charge a pilot
for a violation that is not in their regs.

Huh? If we're still talking about aircraft station license, the regs
do specifically require them. They only give you an excemption for
domestic operations.

Old November 12th 04, 03:41 AM
great-white-north

(John Galban) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Yeh hi there;

I would suggest that you bring all your papers along. A Transport
Canada Inspector can walk up to you on the ramp and will dampen your
day big time if you don't have ALL the paperwork right there in hand.
It's like this, no papers = no fly. Can happen anywhere at any
time. Have seen it happen at flight school to student on solo.
Have 2 pilots at home, you sure need your radio operators license with
you, same for aircraft.
Old November 12th 04, 07:51 PM
John Galban

Ron Natalie wrote in message om...

Huh? If we're still talking about aircraft station license, the regs
do specifically require them. They only give you an excemption for
domestic operations.

Ahh! The light bulb has illuminated :-) It all makes sense now.
They can pursue a charge under a reg that is specifically exempted in
the U.S., but (as far as they're concerned) still applies to U.S.
stations everywhere else in the world (unless exempted).

Thanks Ron.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)