Plug and Jump

Old March 28th 05, 12:38 PM
Steve Foley

Batteries aren't meant to die after 2 weeks.

On 2005-03-26, Steve Foley wrote:
Pull the fuse/breaker for the gyro

Breakers aren't meant to be switches. If you use them as switches you'll
wear them out prematurely.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old March 28th 05, 11:15 PM
nrp

I also have a 172M (N5132H) but I get about 8 years minimum on the last
three ordinary lead acid battery - with no between flight recharges.
The clock still works too. I suspect if it ever quits, there is the
possibility that it could draw current continuously rather than as a
simple pulse. Otherwise the golden rule on batteries is to keep the
plates covered at all times - even if the water has to come freom the
tap or a mud puddle.

The battery can be recharged thru my ground service plug, but it
requires a fairly high voltage from the charger to charge the 12 V
battery. From the circuit it seems to bring the charge current thru a
series resistor and an isolating diode. It also requires the basic bus
to be energized running the rate-of-turn, in order to charge.

If you let the A/C battery become fully discharged (such as leaving the
master on) there is nothing to self energize the alternator even if you
get it started thru the ground service receptacle (sp?). Leaving the
ground service plug in place for a few minutes before attempting a
start, allows a little bit of charge to get in the A/C battery,
allowing the alternator to start. These few minutes are not going to
hurt the rate of turn. If you wanted to charge more extensively, you
could reach behind the panel and unscrew the connector on the back of
the R/T. Don't let it dangle though as it might get in the control
column travel.

Why Cessna did it this way, I don't know unless to protect the
electronics?. Does anyone else know? In general I think they had a
very good electrical system.

For that matter, do I have it right? Where is that darn charge-thru
diode and resistor? What is the value of the resistor (maybe 5 ohms?)?
The schematics I have looked at in the pilots manual and the Cessna
service manual don't seem correct, consistent, or even look complete in
that area.

nrp

Old March 29th 05, 01:53 AM
Vaughn

"nrp" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you let the A/C battery become fully discharged (such as leaving the
master on) there is nothing to self energize the alternator even if you
get it started thru the ground service receptacle (sp?).

It happens sometimes, but recognize that running a battery until it is
discharged flat is one of the worst things you can do to it. The very worst
thing that you can do is run a battery flat and then leave it discharged for any
length of time. It is sort of like us humans after a bad heart attack. They
may bring us back to apparent health, but we will never be quite the same and
our life expectancy will, on average, be significantly reduced.

Vaughn