Angel Flight

Old January 12th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Angel Flight

I was thinking about jointing/volunteering for Angel Flight of Oklahoma as a
pilot. Would a low time VFR pilot be of any use to them? I have 190 hr soon to
be 200hr, when we get some good flying weather. I have flown only 3 times since
November. Because VFR flying is unreliable, I wonder if I could be of value.

I went to Angel Flight of Oklahoma web site and they said a non-IFR pilot could
act as co-pilot or fly non-passenger flight. I have 4hr of instrument training
for my private licence and I know nothing about IFR. My IFR training is "MAYDAY,
MAYDAY, MADAY" and make a 180. I can't imagine what a non-passenger flight would
be.

If you've been there - done that, could explain what I might be doing?

George
If you request flight following, can you really "slip the surly bonds of earth"?

Old January 12th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

We do have VFR pilots fly. During the winter we usually try to get IFR
backups. However, I think the minimum hours is 250 to be a Command
PIlot. The rules for us out West may be different though.

Old January 12th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George wrote:

I was thinking about jointing/volunteering for Angel Flight of Oklahoma as a
pilot.

Very nice of you.

Would a low time VFR pilot be of any use to them? I have 190 hr soon to
be 200hr, when we get some good flying weather.

I cannot comment on your branch of Angel Flight, but the two in the
Northeast US to which I belong require an instrument rating, 300 hours
total time, and 25 hours of actual instrument time.

When I had first heard of Angel Flight, I was finishing up my instrument
rating and was below the total time/instrument time requirement. However,
this became a goal for me, so I flew several times to reach their
requirements. This was in 2003.

If your branch of Angel Flight does have an instrument rating requirement,
you could still volunteer to be a co-pilot and team up with an instrument
rated pilot, or you could use this as a good excuse to get your instrument
rating.

I have flown only 3 times since
November. Because VFR flying is unreliable, I wonder if I could be of value.

I went to Angel Flight of Oklahoma web site and they said a non-IFR pilot could
act as co-pilot or fly non-passenger flight. I have 4hr of instrument training
for my private licence and I know nothing about IFR. My IFR training is "MAYDAY,
MAYDAY, MADAY" and make a 180. I can't imagine what a non-passenger flight would
be.

If you've been there - done that, could explain what I might be doing?

Again, you still could be very valuable as a pilot in the right seat. When
I fly an AF mission to Boston Logan, I prefer to take along another pilot
to assist with all off the duties and awareness in congested airspace.

There is also a need for volunteers to assist with ground transportation,
which involves shuttling the patients to the airport for departure.
However, with your piloting skills you no doubt would prefer to be in the
cockpit.

And finally, there is also a need for people to help spread the word about
AF and recruit other volunteers.

IMO, flying for AF is very rewarding and I hope you are able to find a way
to help this incredible organization.

--
Peter
Old January 12th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter,
With which two in the Northeast are you a volunteer? I just hit 300 hours so
I am seriously thinking about volunteering. However, is the 25 hour of
actual (as in not simulated) a real requirement? on the Angel Flight
Northeast website they mention 25 hour in "type" but I see no mention of IMC
experience.

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com

Old January 12th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George wrote:
I can't imagine what a non-passenger flight would
be.

Don't know if Angel Flight is the same, but I've flown non-passenger
missions for other organizations. Typically it means flying blood
products (whole blood, plasma, etc...) to some of the more
out-of-the-way places in your region.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 12th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marco,
Marco,
You are correct.

http://www.angelflightne.org

"To become an Angel Flight NE PIC, our pilots must meet the following
requirements:

250 hours total time
instrument rated
25 hours in type "

My husband and I will fill in the application in the spring. Maybe
we will see you at one of the orientation meetings.

Hai Longworth

Old January 12th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:

We do have VFR pilots fly. During the winter we usually try to get IFR
backups. However, I think the minimum hours is 250 to be a Command
PIlot. The rules for us out West may be different though.

Angel Flight West does not require an IFR rating.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old January 12th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

George wrote in
:

I can't imagine what a non-passenger flight would be.

If you've been there - done that, could explain what I might be doing?

George
If you request flight following, can you really "slip the surly bonds
of earth"?

A non-passenger flight is one where you are carrying cargo, not
passengers. My first Angel Flight was a "milk run". I delivered 200 lbs
of frozen mother's milk from SJC to SBD.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old January 12th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

At AngelFlight West we carry dogs or eyeballs.

-Robrt