Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?

Old August 16th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman[_2_]

Default Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?

On Aug 16, 8:36 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
KAE wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:16:34 -0700, Jay Beckman
wrote:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. It's probably worth a
few answers as well:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/69390684

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Those photos just about sum it up.

Outstanding photography!
Your sense of composition is exceptional. But so is your mastery of
exposure in so many varied light conditions.
Nice work.

PP-ASEL
Jacksonville, FL

Just can't resist this one!!!!

Landing a bit long there Jay?????? :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

--
Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

Now Dudley, let's think about this for one second:

I'm standing under the approach, making the photo so I'm in the left
seat....HOW!!?? :O) BG

Actually, this Zodiac is landing on RWY 17 but it lives down at the
RWY 35 end of the airport. I don't think it's a good idea but I've
noticed that this particular plane will land long sometimes and then
roll out to the last turn off at the far end.

Jay B

Old August 16th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman[_2_]

wrote:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. It's probably worth a
few answers as well:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/69390684

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Those photos just about sum it up.

Outstanding photography!
Your sense of composition is exceptional. But so is your mastery of
exposure in so many varied light conditions.
Nice work.

PP-ASEL
Jacksonville, FL

Thank You .. Thankyouverymuch...

Jay B

Old August 16th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Beckman[_2_]

Default Interesting results thus far (was: Unscientific survey - why are you a pilot?)

On Aug 16, 7:17 am, Doug Semler wrote:
On Aug 15, 11:14 am, Doug Semler wrote:

[snip]

Huh, these have been interesting results so far (from the limited
sampling of responses). So far, it seems that family "history" of
interest in aviation is irrelevant, however, most people were
interested in flying/aviation from a very young age. Surprisingly,
the pilots that have responded thus far do NOT consider themselves
"adventerous" even though there seems to be an adverterous quality to
flying that attracted it to them from a young age. Perhaps it is a
risk analysis/management quality that most pilots don't realize?
Perhaps, especially considering that pilots have to measure risk every
time they go out. Three other things stick in my mind. The first is
that the vast majority of respondents seem to qualify themselves as
introverted. Maybe that quality contributes to the "i'm on top of the
world" solitude that one feels while alone in the aircraft? Thus far,
most of the respondents don't consider themselves to be type-a
personalities, meaning that they don't "need" to be in control of a
situation. Surprising to me, really, because being pilot in command
is the ultimate in control. The other thing is that it SEEMS that most
of the pilots responding consider themselves "both-brained" (neither
left nor right). Maybe this is a result of the computational side of
flying combined with the "art" of thinking in three dimensions.

Hmmm. More things to think about. We need a control group now g

Hey guess what? We have a resident Control Group built right in on
these boards:

- He Hates Airplanes
- He Hates Pilots
- He Avoids Risk Taking of Any Kind
- He Would Rather Simulate Flying (and life for that matter)
- And he is niether Left nor Right brained because he doesn't use one
at all!!

MX as Control Group! PERFECT!!

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Old August 16th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
El Maximo

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
oups.com...

MX as Control Group! PERFECT!!

You can't use him as a control group. I'm already using him in my Conflict
Resolution for Managers and Supervisors seminars.

Old August 16th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
george

On Aug 17, 5:08 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I have had a continous subscription to RD since 1970 and read them cover
to cover. I bet I read the story. I do not keep old issues though. I
wonder if RD puts old issues on the web; I'll have to check.

They will send you a copy if requested. You can also find the complete
story in "Everyday Greatness" by Stephen R. Covey. I believe that is
available through Amazon.

One of the greatest stories that give a semblance of what it is to fly
is Jonathan Livingstone Seagull.
The seeking of perfection

Old August 16th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
KAE

wrote:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. It's probably worth a
few answers as well:

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/69390684

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Those photos just about sum it up.

Outstanding photography!
Your sense of composition is exceptional. But so is your mastery of
exposure in so many varied light conditions.
Nice work.

PP-ASEL
Jacksonville, FL

Thank You .. Thankyouverymuch...

Jay B

What I'd like to know is how did you manage to stowaway on the Apollo
11 mission? Must have taken that photo when Neil and Buzz were out for
a stroll.
Old August 16th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

KAE wrote:

What I'd like to know is how did you manage to stowaway on the Apollo
11 mission? Must have taken that photo when Neil and Buzz were out for
a stroll.

Houston Space Center has a great display(s)..

BTW Jay, fantastic bunch of shots!!

Old August 16th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

ManhattanMan wrote:
KAE wrote:

What I'd like to know is how did you manage to stowaway on the Apollo
11 mission? Must have taken that photo when Neil and Buzz were out
for a stroll.

Houston Space Center has a great display(s)..

BTW Jay, fantastic bunch of shots!!

Speaking of photos and piloting incentive:
http://www.members.cox.net/drpics/NE_1947.jpg

My first flight was from a grass strip in Nebraska in a J3, age 4, 1947 -
I'm the mean looking dude in suspenders!
First "job" (after my mowing lawns career was marking fields for a crop
duster (why I still have operating lungs is a mystery).
Then 4 years in the Navy, flying back seat radar operator in S2F Grumman
anti-sub trackers, with the honor of witnessing the pickups of astronauts
Shirra & Copper aboard the USS Kearsarge!! Fantastic!!
20 years after my J-3 flight, I got my PPL in 1967. Only was active for 4-5
years, but at least racked up a few hundred hours to satisfy the desire to
do it, and one eye went from fair to terrible so knew any airline
aspirations were trashed. But, I wouldn't trade the experiences for
anything!!!

Cheers'n beers.. [_])
Don

Old August 16th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

george wrote:
On Aug 17, 5:08 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I have had a continous subscription to RD since 1970 and read them cover
to cover. I bet I read the story. I do not keep old issues though. I
wonder if RD puts old issues on the web; I'll have to check.

They will send you a copy if requested. You can also find the complete
story in "Everyday Greatness" by Stephen R. Covey. I believe that is
available through Amazon.

One of the greatest stories that give a semblance of what it is to fly
is Jonathan Livingstone Seagull.
The seeking of perfection

A good friend of ours, Art Scholl, did some of the photography for JLS.
He filmed gulls by standing in the back of a rowboat holding up some
bait for the birds. They came in and literally hovered there eating out
of his hand while they were being filmed. Then the film was slowed down
and used in the movie in slow motion.
A simple technique, but some great shots by Art.
I loved the film. In fact, my wife and I were probably one of the first
to see it in a special showing Art did for us and the Thunderbirds in a
back room at the Reading Air Show.
A wonderful show....and a GREAT music score!!!
--
Dudley Henriques

EAA Survey john smith Piloting 1 August 11th 05 08:19 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Piloting 2 August 15th 04 01:02 AM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Aerobatics 1 August 14th 04 04:22 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Soaring 7 August 14th 04 03:25 PM
Pilot Survey Pilotgil Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 13th 04 08:03 AM