OT(ish) Sigma vs Tamron

Old August 12th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter.D.Evans

Default OT(ish) Sigma vs Tamron

Are any of you photographers out there using either the Sigma 50-500
or Tamron AF 200-500 lenses? My plan is to purchase either for use
on a Nikon N80. If you are, I'd appreciate your thoughts with regards
their use for airshow display photography - and some examples of your
work using either posted here would be great too please!

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Peter D Evans - administrator
LEMB - Luftwaffe Experten Message Board
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org

Old August 13th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter.D.Evans

john smith wrote in news:46bf9f2f$0$8055
:

In article . 144,
"Peter.D.Evans" orbscure.AT.hotmail.DOT.com wrote:

Are any of you photographers out there using either the Sigma 50-500
or Tamron AF 200-500 lenses? My plan is to purchase either for use
on a Nikon N80. If you are, I'd appreciate your thoughts with regards
their use for airshow display photography - and some examples of your
work using either posted here would be great too please!

How fast is each?

Try these two links for more details:

Sigma 50-500 - http://tinyurl.com/3cmxs5
Tamron AF 200-500 - http://tinyurl.com/2ob3cz

Old August 13th 07, 06:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

In article 44,
"Peter.D.Evans" orbscure.AT.hotmail.DOT.com wrote:

john smith wrote in news:46bf9f2f$0$8055
:

In article . 144,
"Peter.D.Evans" orbscure.AT.hotmail.DOT.com wrote:

Are any of you photographers out there using either the Sigma 50-500
or Tamron AF 200-500 lenses? My plan is to purchase either for use
on a Nikon N80. If you are, I'd appreciate your thoughts with regards
their use for airshow display photography - and some examples of your
work using either posted here would be great too please!

How fast is each?

Try these two links for more details:

Sigma 50-500 - http://tinyurl.com/3cmxs5
Tamron AF 200-500 - http://tinyurl.com/2ob3cz

cheers,

Peter D Evans - Administrator
LEMB - Luftwaffe Experten Message Board
http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org

Tamron wins on weight at 2/3 that of the Sigma
Sigma wins on lens speed at f-4 to 6.3 vice Tamron f-5 to 6.3
It really comes down to useage. Is one stop gaining you anything?
The weight difference may be a factor, depending on how long and what
type of shooting you will be doing.
Old August 13th 07, 06:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter.D.Evans

Tamron wins on weight at 2/3 that of the Sigma
Sigma wins on lens speed at f-4 to 6.3 vice Tamron f-5 to 6.3
It really comes down to useage. Is one stop gaining you anything?
The weight difference may be a factor, depending on how long and what
type of shooting you will be doing.

Thanks for that John, appreciate the feedback especially as I hadn't
even begun to consider the weight angle - great point! Aviation use for
me would be for flying shots and I would be using a monopod. This would
be my first foray into DSLR with a longer lens having been using a
Panasonic digital with quite appauling shutter lag... but that's another
story altogether!

Old August 18th 07, 09:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

"Peter.D.Evans" orbscure.AT.hotmail.DOT.com wrote in
. 109.144:

Are any of you photographers out there using either the Sigma 50-500
or Tamron AF 200-500 lenses? My plan is to purchase either for use
on a Nikon N80. If you are, I'd appreciate your thoughts with regards
their use for airshow display photography - and some examples of your
work using either posted here would be great too please!

I have a Bigma for my K-M Maxxum 7D and am pleased as punch with it. Other
than the Popeye forearm and ruined back from horsing that beast around, that
is...

Having that 10:1 zoom range is a real plus when dealing with large and small
planes, close and distant fly-bys and taxiing, etc.

Image quality is pretty darned nice, though I am optically challenged as a
bat so my opinion may not be worth all that much.

I will post a series of shots taken with the above rig just last weekend
under the heading "Sentry Eagle Nighthawk" in a few minutes|hours|days|eons.

Bob ^,,^
Old August 18th 07, 12:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter.D.Evans

I have a Bigma for my K-M Maxxum 7D and am pleased as punch with it.
Other than the Popeye forearm and ruined back from horsing that beast
around, that is...

Having that 10:1 zoom range is a real plus when dealing with large and
small planes, close and distant fly-bys and taxiing, etc.

Image quality is pretty darned nice, though I am optically challenged
as a bat so my opinion may not be worth all that much.

I will post a series of shots taken with the above rig just last
weekend under the heading "Sentry Eagle Nighthawk" in a few
minutes|hours|days|eons.

Thanks for the feedback Bob... looking forward to seeing the results
whenever you can post them...

Cheers

Peter D Evans - LEMB Administrator
Old August 18th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:54:40 GMT, Bob Harrington
wrote:

[...]

Hey Bob, I was just going to ask you about the Sigma since I'm finding
the 75-300 with my Sony doesn't reach quite far enough sometimes.
After seeing your Nighthawk pics, I gotta check out the Sigma!
Old August 20th 07, 11:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

Just Plane Noise wrote in

Hey Bob, I was just going to ask you about the Sigma since I'm finding
the 75-300 with my Sony doesn't reach quite far enough sometimes.
After seeing your Nighthawk pics, I gotta check out the Sigma!

The Bigma ain't cheap, and it does weigh in at well over 4 lbs - but I love
it anyway. Mine suffered an internal boo-boo a few weeks after I purchased
it that required a warranty repair trip back to Sigma. They fixed it and
had it back to me in less than two weeks, and it's worked perfectly since,
two and a half years.

Only problem now is that, being a zoom, it has managed to suck in a little
dust that has settled on internal lens elements. Not enough to affect image
quality, but it does annoy me a little when I clean the beast. Not quite
ready to send it in for a deep cleaning yet; perhaps a run through the
washing machine on the 'delicate' setting will suffice...

Bob ^,,^