In the plane market - some questions before purchase

Old December 29th 03, 05:37 AM
Bill

Default In the plane market - some questions before purchase

Hello

I am looking at a small airplane for recreational "Sunday afternoon
local area" flying and also for the once-a-month weekend 500 NM trip
to my hometown. I need to carry me, my wife, two kids, plus baggage
for said occupants. I also would like to own and airplane and not
rent. Done that, dont want to anymore. Would rather spend a little
more in the long run for "my own airplane" versus having to call ACME
FBO and trying to get on the schedule.

Flying will be done in dry climate, always day and VFR, and no
mountainous terrain.

I am an ATP/CFII with about 4000 hrs TT and maybe 2000 in a variety of
Cessna and Piper airplanes. Current 1st class, currently flying full
time.

I am looking at buying:

Cessna 172
Cessna 182
Piper Cherokee
Piper Dakota

My budget is about $50-75K or below ideally or $100K absolute max,
with the latter putting my wife in a Hyundai, ourselves eating at the
local soup kitchen, and living in an RV park.

I can do a 172 and my wife drive a Tahoe or I can buy a Mooney and we
will use the city bus system. Aren't airplanes great?

What is the "typical" budget needed, annually, to operate the above
airplanes in the manner I want to? Insurance? Fuel? Etc?

Any suggestions on specific year model, etc? Maybe other airplanes?

At some point I would like to teach my wife to fly and our kids to
fly. Bellanca Super Viking is unfortunately out of the question at
this point.

Thanks

Bill
Old December 29th 03, 05:59 AM
Jay Honeck

I am looking at buying:

Cessna 172
Cessna 182
Piper Cherokee
Piper Dakota

With two adults and two kids, plus baggage, you want the Dakota.

I own a '74 Pathfinder -- the predecessor to the Dakota. We've got a 1460
pound useful load, 84 gallons of fuel, and 140 knot cruising speed. It's
the best all-around true 4-seat aircraft I've found, for the money.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 29th 03, 06:13 AM
BTIZ

sounds like either the 182 fixed gear.. or a Dakota or older Piper 235C or D

the kids will grow.. and out grow a 172

BT

Old December 29th 03, 06:48 AM
Teacherjh

Before you buy, consider a partnership or flying club. Initial outlay much
smaller, good aircraft availability, and a variety of aircraft. I agree with
other posters that you'd want the Dakota or the 182 for four plus baggage,
though you could squeeze it into the smaller aircraft and carry less fuel.
You'd have better availability with a partnership, I'd look in that direction.

Jose

Old December 29th 03, 07:00 AM
tony roberts

I am looking at a small airplane for recreational "Sunday afternoon
local area" flying and also for the once-a-month weekend 500 NM trip
to my hometown. I need to carry me, my wife, two kids, plus baggage
for said occupants.

Hi Bill
Before purchasing an aircraft you define your mission as you did.
Your typical mission would be well suited to a 172.
But you threw in the monthly trip. A typical 172 will give you around
1000 lb useful load, less 250 gall fuel so you are left with about 750
for passengers and baggage. Will that do it?
When you consider all of the extra costs involved in the 182, it would
be far more economical for you to buy more clothes, leave them in your
hometown and travel light. That luggage is going to cost you a LOT of
money every year.

HTH
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 29th 03, 07:13 AM
tony roberts

A typical 172 will give you around
1000 lb useful load, less 250 gall fuel so you are left with about 750
for passengers and baggage. Will that do it?

As you have probably already deduced, that should be 250 lb and not 250
gall

And some of the newer 172's actually have a lower useful load - more
like 850 - 900 lb.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 29th 03, 03:19 PM
Marco Leon

Your requirements are best satisfied by a Dakota or a Cessna 182. However,
your budget is screaming Cessna 172, Piper Archer/Warrior. I'm not sure if
you've considered all the other costs associated with plane ownership but
whatever it is, add 20%

Look into a 2 or 3-way partnership in a Dakota or C182. I think you'll find
that it's an attractive option.

Good luck,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 29th 03, 03:52 PM
EDR

In article , Bill
wrote:

Cherokee Six.
100 pounds in the nose locker, 120 pounds in the aft baggage area.
With full fuel (84 gal/504 pounds), that leaves another 1200 pounds for
up to six people and other stuff in the cabin. Less than six pax
increases the leg room for everyone.
500 nm trip will be 3-4 hours (depending on winds). I usually file for
135 knots on 16 gph.
Old December 29th 03, 05:13 PM
Bill

I appreciate the comments and info. I indeed am looking at a 2-man
partnership on a 182, as such arrangement is easily doable, no sweat,
with the budget I have in mind.

Any particular year model recommendations? I believe there is a
2-volume book published by Aviation Consumer (similar?) about Used
Airplanes. Of course none of my friends has this book. Is this
something I might want to buy or can most of the info be gleemed from
the internet?

Thanks
Old December 29th 03, 05:19 PM
Ron Natalie

"Bill" wrote in message . ..

Any particular year model recommendations? I believe there is a
2-volume book published by Aviation Consumer (similar?) about Used
Airplanes. Of course none of my friends has this book. Is this
something I might want to buy or can most of the info be gleemed from
the internet?

Frankly, I'm unimpressed by the book. You can actually order reprints on
specific airplanes from past Aviation Consumer articles from them. Even
those are a mixed bad, but not a bad starting point for info on a type.