A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best places for a soaring pilot to retire?

Old February 15th 15, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Best places for a soaring pilot to retire?

Looking for new Ideas for places to retire. The usual considerations apply; cost of living, health care, weather, and available soaring. Doesn't have to be the US. near water would be nice. I own a Ventus C.

Anyone live in/near Grass Valley, CA? 1 hr from Truckee and Sacramento, 1.5 hrs from Williams, 2.5 hrs from Bay area.

Thanks for any suggestions

Matt
Old February 15th 15, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X
external usenet poster

Reno / Minden NV - 3 glider ports, no state income tax, 300 average days of sunshine, 20 miles to Lake Tahoe, Renown Medical Center, University of NV Reno
Old February 15th 15, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 4:41:00 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Looking for new Ideas for places to retire.

Looks like Matt has been making out big with GlidePlan!
Old February 15th 15, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T
external usenet poster

All of those places are in the PRK, People's Republic of Kalifornia. Think taxes and relative cost of living. Grass Valley, Williams area and north to Mt Shasta are nice, but suffer with wintr valley fog.

I would consider Minden area or Moriarty. Minden opens up the NV Great Basin area for summer and they are always running the thermal or wave down to Bishop, Lone Pine and return. Moriarity is high country desert flying with easy access. Anything around Pheonix or Tucson works, but not really rear water.

Utah is exploding with activity now with the Nephi cross country camps, activity at Parowan and Logan area. But they do have the winter doldrums.

BillT
Old February 15th 15, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 4:15:50 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 4:41:00 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Looking for new Ideas for places to retire.

Looks like Matt has been making out big with GlidePlan!

Wouldn't that be nice! Sadly, I won't be quitting my day job any time soon... Just thinking (dreaming) ahead.

Matt
Old February 15th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 4:16:14 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
All of those places are in the PRK, People's Republic of Kalifornia. Think taxes and relative cost of living. Grass Valley, Williams area and north to Mt Shasta are nice, but suffer with wintr valley fog.

I would consider Minden area or Moriarty. Minden opens up the NV Great Basin area for summer and they are always running the thermal or wave down to Bishop, Lone Pine and return. Moriarity is high country desert flying with easy access. Anything around Pheonix or Tucson works, but not really rear water.

Utah is exploding with activity now with the Nephi cross country camps, activity at Parowan and Logan area. But they do have the winter doldrums.

BillT

MInden is a nice soaring location, but a little too remote/small for living there. I can get to truckee in an hour from Auburn and that gives me access to the Sierras. I will check into Moriarty, thanks. Prawn/Nephi are great flying, but not sure how I feel about living in Utah..

How about some place in the EU? Too expensive?
Old February 16th 15, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

Florida, TX, or NV.... no income tax. With the money you save, you can drive to a great soaring site and motel it. Being retired, you have the time. CO for a mix of lower taxes and very nice lifestyle (IMO). Day in, day out living amenities should dominate your decision, not a great place to fly. Check Kiplinger or Forbes websites for lists of states and why you should retire there.
Old February 16th 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 6:38:41 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 4:16:14 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:

BillT

MInden is a nice soaring location, but a little too remote/small for living there. I can get to truckee in an hour from Auburn and that gives me access to the Sierras. I will check into Moriarty, thanks. Prawn/Nephi are great flying, but not sure how I feel about living in Utah..

How about some place in the EU? Too expensive?

You may try Spain for low cost of living. Southern Germany has good soaring but it is expensive. Western Poland has good soaring and it is relatively inexpensive. Slovakia is another reasonable place and it has good soaring. Flying in Alps from Southern France is another great location.

I am not sure how you would adopt to any of these places. You should read some periodicals on retiring abroad before you spend too much time thinking about it. It all sounds great at first but ...
I am speaking from experience. I have lived in 4 different countries (years in each country) and I traveled through many more. Home will always be home.

Here in the USA we have great soaring, one of the best in the world. Why go anywhere, except maybe for a month or so in winter to SA or Australia.

Old February 16th 15, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 10:41:00 AM UTC+13, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Looking for new Ideas for places to retire. The usual considerations apply; cost of living, health care, weather, and available soaring. Doesn't have to be the US. near water would be nice. I own a Ventus C.

There are multiple places here in New Zealand that have pretty decent soaring. *Everything* is near the ocean.

My club, at Paraparaumu. Airfield is next to the ocean, hills start 3 km inland, rising to a long 5000 ft mountain chain 25 km inland. Sea cliffs to the south. Wellington city 40 min by car or an hour by commuter train. Flyable year round and some good soaring in winter.

http://hoult.org/bruce/carol.jpg
http://hoult.org/bruce/hector10.jpg

Unfortunately, we're likely to be moving sites soon to a site 20 minutes further from Wellington by car, 15 km from the mountains, and ocean 40 km to the east or 45 km south.

You should also look at Whangarei, Tauranga, Matamata ... all with good flying and within 2 1/2 hours drive of downtown Auckland. All have summer temperatures in the high 70s or low 80s, and winter temperatures that seldom get below the 60s.

I hear the fly in the South Island too. It's lovely in the summer.

Old February 16th 15, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 3:38:41 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

MInden is a nice soaring location, but a little too remote/small for living there.

What?! "remote/small"?

If one is looking for big city ambiance, Minden for sure is not that, though I wouldn't consider it remote or small. Guess it depends what one is after. A lot of glider pilots do retire to the Minden / Carson Valley area. Spectacularly beautiful, great quality of life, and great soaring.

There's a lot of open space, and "city" is close enough. I live 15 miles south of Carson City, 40 miles south of Reno, a few miles east of S. Lake Tahoe, and 9 miles from Minden airport.

bumper