I need a story for a television show.

Old March 12th 04, 11:26 PM
John Shelton

Default I need a story for a television show.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have been contacted by a television production company creating a series
on adventure sports. They were very impressed with the crappy media I gave
them about soaring and would like to include an "expedition" if we can meet
their parameters.

It is Friday afternoon and I have until Monday to come up with something.

So, put on your thinking hats: Do you know of an expedition (they call it)
conducted with a sailplane that went wrong and resulted in a survival
situation? It will be re-enacted. I have the actors. I have the sailplanes.
I will get the camera ship.

I need the story.

This will not be someone losing their yaw string and having to hitchhike to
a dress shop. It will not be JJ landing at a whorehouse with no money on
him. We are talking SURVIVAL. They will probably want to shoot in the US but
I did not ask if the story had to be an American story.

I wish I was getting paid but I am not. On the other hand, the actors will.

So either come up with an adventure or go out this weekend, land out in a
frozen wasteland, survive by eating your parachute, hike out to
civilization, loose two fingers to frostbite and come home a wiser man or
woman. (Do women get wiser or is that just they are?)

Thank you. And be quick.

Old March 13th 04, 12:11 AM
Ray Lovinggood

John,

I think the stories of Dick Schreder's landouts would
make memorable stories for the telly.

Probably the best would be his land out in the swamp
in Argentina during the 9th World Soaring Championships.

Second best would be his landout in East Germany during
the 1960 International Soaring Championship.

(I just finished Karen Schreder Barbera's book about
her father and find it unbelievable that one person
lived through and did all of the things Dick Schreder
did. And he did it in one life! It is a GREAT book
about a FANTASTICALLY gifted man! The book is '10,000
Feet & Climbing: The Aviation Adventures of Richard
E. Schreder)

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old March 13th 04, 12:31 AM
BTIZ

John... check last summers SSA Magazine.. there was a story there about one
who crashed in the Hills east of LA, and it took a couple of days to get out
of there.. granted.. he did a couple of things wrong..

BT

link.net...

Old March 13th 04, 12:40 AM
Eric Greenwell

I'm emailing you some information on two survival situations:

1) Cecil Craig's 1967 landing on the side of Crater Lake (OR) in the
snow in winter, after a wave flight from Mt Rainier (WA), and his rescue
the next by a team on snowmobiles. The original article is in Soaring
(April 1969).

2) The other was a crash on a ridge near Mt Rainier, I believe also in
Soaring but I don't know when. Rescue was the next day, pilot unhurt.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 13th 04, 12:50 AM
Sid Wood

Read a story in the Soaring Association of Canada's magazine (Free Flight) a
few years back (1983?). It involved a bailout from an HP-14 after the
controls became jammed by something falling into the stick pivot mechanism.
The pilot landed in a river and was almost drowned by the parachute when the
shroud lines became entangled in the canopy release wire which had pierced
his (her?) hand.

Old March 13th 04, 12:58 AM
Sid Wood

Perhaps Tony Burton can provide more information. As I recall, he did an
illustration for the magazine story.

ble.rogers.com...

Old March 13th 04, 01:43 AM
John Shelton

Was there a guy on the front porch playing a banjo?

If so, you were in the wrong story.

"BMacLean" wrote in message
I landed at a residential airstrip once and asked for a Diet Coke but all
they had was Diet Pepsi.

WA light (aka 18)

Old March 13th 04, 02:11 AM
BMacLean

I don't like Diet Pepsi but managed to get through it so I thought I was
very brave in a tough situation.