Beeps, squeals and honks.

Old March 16th 04, 04:17 PM
Bill Daniels

Default Beeps, squeals and honks.

I can't figure which thread to put this suggestion into, so here's a new
one.

Filling a cockpit with raucous warning noises is very likely to be confusing
in a stressful situation - fortunately, there is another way. Instead of an
electronic noisemaker, use small .wav files burned into EPROM's of soft
human voices stating the problem in plain words. I've always liked the
military idea of a soft female voice saying "Bingo fuel" as a low fuel
warning.

It should be possible for one of our resident gadgeteers to build a small
box with a speaker, memory and an array of connections for hooking up the
various warning system switches. A USB port allowing the device to be
connected to a computer running the appropriate software would allow the
user to upload any warning audio files desired.

Of course, I expect the r.a.s comedians to have a field day with this, so go
ahead, it's entertaining.

Bill Daniels

Old March 16th 04, 05:55 PM
Paul

Malcolm Cramptom has already got a product called the Tasman Echo.TB 32
which you can record your own message up to 14 seconds long. This will
standby drawing no power until its activated like a gear warning and it
repeats the message until its switched off. ie gear is down.

Anything you like from a sexy voice suggesting you should lower the U/C to "
PUT THE F$%$ING GEAR DOWN YOU IDIOT!!!

www.tasmaninstruments.com.au

Old March 16th 04, 05:55 PM
Shawn Curry

Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

You mean like the PMSing wife voice programmed onto the EPROM? "You
stupid sh!%, your brakes are open on tow!"
Or Brittany Spears singing "Oops, I did it again." when the gear is left
down after release?
next...
Old March 16th 04, 06:02 PM
Shawn Curry

Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

Irregardless of my other post on this thread;
Its a good idea Bill. I'm sure there are plenty of tech people in
Colorado alone who've had their work out-sourced to Bangalore who could
do it.
Might work well to synch up with instructors to use the exact word or
phrasing (maybe the instructors voice?) that they use with students for
a particular situation.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old March 16th 04, 06:04 PM
Jim Vincent

On my last ship, a Pilatus B-4, we had a PTT switch on the stick but only a
hand held radio.

We went to Toys R US, found the best sounding toy machine gun, ripped out the
innards, hooked up a 12V-6V power supply, and triggered it from the PTT.

What fun it was shooting down other sailplanes in thermals!

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old March 16th 04, 09:25 PM
303pilot

Ha!
Got to agree that a voice would be much better than another beep or buzz.
On my third flight in the 303, I entered the pattern and this obnoxious
noise started going off. My first reaction was to turn down the freakin'
volume on that thing. Then I realized the thing went off when I opened the
spoilers.... Oh, I got it! This baby's got a retractable gear and that
obnoxious noise is telling me I opened the spoilers w/out lowering the gear.
I confess this to the gentle readership of RAS. Thank God I didn't have to
tell anyone at the club, "Yeah, I landed gear up. That gear warning sure is
irritating. Bet it works next time!"

Brent

Old March 16th 04, 10:05 PM
Marc Ramsey

"303pilot" brentUNDERSCOREsullivanATbmcDOTcom wrote...
Oh, I got it! This baby's got a retractable gear and that
obnoxious noise is telling me I opened the spoilers w/out
lowering the gear.

That sounds like my first flight in my new (to me) DG-101. I entered the
pattern doing my checklist, gear down, check spoilers, hey, what is that
loud beeping? Turned out that the glider had a gear warning system that I
wasn't aware of, and that I probably had the gear down for the entire
flight, pulling it up for landing. I look at the wheel position symbols
next to the gear handle, now...

Marc

Old March 16th 04, 10:46 PM
Richard Pfiffner

Brings to mind a guy in My Pilot Training class who landed a T38 on the
extended speed brake ( a no no according to the landing checklist ) because
the fuel low level light was blinking and the gear warning horn squealing.
Too much visual and too much sound to read the checklist. All this crap
should never take the place of a checklist.

Richard

Old March 17th 04, 12:26 PM
Pete Zeugma

Actually I like this idea, not for the different sounds,
but because you could use it to train pilots who need
their airmanship brushed up. Depending on the severity
of the silly mistake, and apropirate electric shock
will be delivered to selected parts of the body!