Anywhere Map WX vs Garmin 396

Old July 9th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Anywhere Map WX vs Garmin 396

From my buddies at the airport to this newsgroup, there is a lot of interest
in the Garming 396. No doubt it is a fine system with great features.

Why don't I hear anyone talking about the AnywhereMap WX, which seems to
have a roughly equivalent feature set for $800-$1,000 less up front cost?

Thoughts?

Anyone own (or borrow) an AnywhereMap WX and care to comment?

KB

Old July 10th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

From my buddies at the airport to this newsgroup, there is a lot of interest
in the Garming 396. No doubt it is a fine system with great features.

Why don't I hear anyone talking about the AnywhereMap WX, which seems to
have a roughly equivalent feature set for $800-$1,000 less up front cost?

Thoughts?

Anyone own (or borrow) an AnywhereMap WX and care to comment?

KB

I would recommend a Google search, but here's my quick opinion:

For weather display, AWM is decent but not complete. For navigation,
AWM is decent by not complete. For portability, reliability, and ease
of use, AWM is fair to poor.

The Garmin 396 isn't perfect (can't stand that horizontal screen
orientation), but its features are much more complete and very well
implemented. Garmin's support is also outstanding. AWM support was
always very responsive, but the end result was usually, "I don't know
when that bug will be fixed," or "We don't know anything about that
problem," even though AWM staff would specifically respond to posts
about the problem on their own forums. I don't think that I have ever
seen more over-promising and under-delivering in my life than from the
AWM folks.

AWM also does not include auto-route street mapping, marine
capabilities, or XM audio capabilities, if any of that matters to you.

JKG
Old July 10th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 236

I've owned AnywhereMap for about four years and am quite satisfied with
it. It's been reliable and the newest version is tight on all the most
important features. I do not currently have weather on it but would
like to add that soon.

Did you know that the 28-day update subscription on database changes is
only $95 per year for AnywhereMap? Nobody I know comes anywhere near
that. If I owned a Garmin or Lowrance, I might not be willing to pay
the three or four times that amount per year to keep the database up to
date.

From my buddies at the airport to this newsgroup, there is a lot of interest

Old July 10th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article .com,
"Grumman 236" wrote:
Did you know that the 28-day update subscription on database changes is
only $95 per year for AnywhereMap? Nobody I know comes anywhere near
that. If I owned a Garmin or Lowrance, I might not be willing to pay

Ddid you know that the quality of the AWM database is poor compared with
the Jeppesen database that Garmin and Lowrance use?

You aren't saving money, you're simply paying less, and getting less.

JKG
Old July 11th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
KevinBlack

Well the PocketFMS database update every don't know how often is free. To
be come a donor is US$60. This is about as good as it gets and it's a great
package. They don't have wx (yet).

I looked at the Anywhere product, but couldn't get a response from the
company to a couple of simple questions. The PFMS team get back right away.

YMMV,
Cheers,
Kevin

"Grumman 236" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've owned AnywhereMap for about four years and am quite satisfied with
it. It's been reliable and the newest version is tight on all the most
important features. I do not currently have weather on it but would
like to add that soon.

Did you know that the 28-day update subscription on database changes is
only $95 per year for AnywhereMap? Nobody I know comes anywhere near
that. If I owned a Garmin or Lowrance, I might not be willing to pay
the three or four times that amount per year to keep the database up to
date.

Kyle Boatright wrote:
From my buddies at the airport to this newsgroup, there is a lot of
interest

Old July 11th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 236

Can you cite an example of erroneous or missing data, Jonathan? I'm
sure we'd all be very interested to see the validity of this claim
demonstrated!

=Jonathan Goodish wrote:
=Ddid you know that the quality of the AWM database is poor compared
with
= the Jeppesen database that Garmin and Lowrance use?
=
= You aren't saving money, you're simply paying less, and getting less.

Old July 11th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article .com,
"Grumman 236" wrote:

Can you cite an example of erroneous or missing data, Jonathan? I'm
sure we'd all be very interested to see the validity of this claim
demonstrated!

Yes. Go to KPIT and look within 200 miles to find numerous airports
with missing or incorrect frequencies, runway information, incorrect
MEAs on airways, missing obstacles (used to be everything under 400AGL,
not sure whether they fixed this), and mislabeled roads. Need I go on?

JKG
Old July 12th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grumman 236

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article .com,
"Grumman 236" wrote:

Can you cite an example of erroneous or missing data, Jonathan? I'm
sure we'd all be very interested to see the validity of this claim
demonstrated!

Yes. Go to KPIT and look within 200 miles to find numerous airports
with missing or incorrect frequencies, runway information, incorrect
MEAs on airways, missing obstacles (used to be everything under 400AGL,
not sure whether they fixed this), and mislabeled roads. Need I go on?

Yes, if you would be so kind as to list an airport, nav-aid, fix or
obstacle that is correct in the Jeppesen database and incorrect in
AnywhereMap's FAA database, it would help immensely!

Old July 12th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Grumman,

Yes, if you would be so kind as to list an airport, nav-aid, fix or
obstacle that is correct in the Jeppesen database and incorrect in
AnywhereMap's FAA database, it would help immensely!

Oh, you want facts? ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 12th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

I've had the AWM system for 2-3 years with Wx. There have been some
problems with software, and I consider Control Vision to be somewhat
sloppy, although in their defence I recognize the difficulty of making
all their features work with the big variety of PDAs that people use.

They have many extended features (gliding range circles to passing
airports) but most of the fancy stuff is just that to me - I don't
really need the built-in logbook, for example.

I do like having a single PDA that I can use both for flying and other
purposes.

On the other hand, my experience with Garmin has been that the
equipment is much more reliable.

I made a recent IFR trip in rain and found the Wx display on the Ipaq
to be accurate and wonderfully helpful.